• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst thing to happen during an international cricket game?

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Brad Haddin celebrating Neil Broom's wicket when he had taken the bails off with his gloves instead of Broom actually being bowled

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brad Haddin celebrating Neil Broom's wicket when he had taken the bails off with his gloves instead of Broom actually being bowled
Events like that, or when the keeper gets their gloves slightly in front of the wickets for a stumping chance, or even claiming a close catch that turns out to be a bump ball aren't really issues for me. The game is played at high speed and when you're talking about a fraction of a second between something being legal and illegal I can see how the human brain gives itself the benefit of the doubt.

All sides do it and it's really up to the umpires to make sure that the right decision is reached.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langer knocking the bails off between balls and then appealing for a hit wicket would be worse if it wasn't so r*******. Not sure how he thought he was going to get away with that with cameras and replays everywhere.

stephen

Langer knocking the bails off between balls and then appealing for a hit wicket would be worse if it wasn't so r*******. Not sure how he thought he was going to get away with that with cameras and replays everywhere.
I genuinely believe he didn't feel it or know. Either that or he's as think as two planks. And I'm usually his biggest critic.

HeathDavisSpeed

hes said he regrets that iirc. its almost like people grow between 25 and 35.
He did the same thing twice you know. He ran out that batting powerhouse Chris Mpofu in the same way to deny Shane Bond a five-wicket haul in Zimbabwe. I mean, Mpofu's average of about 6 must have been intimidating. Or maybe McCullum was upset that Blessing Mahwire had just scored his first ever 50. Maybe he was concerned about the margin in the match (the run out being the final wicket) with NZ winning by a mere innings and 46 runs.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Horrible music in this video, but all these talks on sledging being used as tactics are just plain garbage. Some folks just have a poor temperament and are dickish in general. People may talk **** to disturb the focus of the batsmen on "some" occasions, but most of the times these guys are just being themselves. Some of these cricketers are just toxic human beings.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's probably been school shootings happen during international cricket games
Boxing Day Tsunami probably takes it if we’re looking at awful extraneous events
Fortunately the mass murder of school children in the UK is extremely rare. But the only one in living memory that did take place did happen during an International cricket match and by a quirk of fate the ending to that match fits within the context of the thread.
Dunblane in Scotland in 1996. News of this (details can be Googled if anyone doesn't remember and wants to know more) broke during the Sri Lanka v India World Cup Semi-Final.
The way the match ended was appalling within the context of cricket. The fans started rioting, including chucking bottles at the players and starting fires when it became apparent that India weren't going to win and it ended early and was awarded to Sri Lanka.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure but it was Murali, a guy who played for 15 years and took over 1000 international "wickets" just walking up and pitching the ball, which makes England's murray mint cheating saga look incredibly tame in comparison. For that I'll let it slide. McCullum was just looking to even up the ledger a bit.
I dunno whether you're blatantly pandering to me recently but I like the cut of your jib in 2021. The irony of Murali complaining about being run out when all 800 of his Test wickets were achieved in that way (or so I presume) is neat.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Greg Dyer claiming the catch in 1986, Michael Clarke claiming a similarly filthy one off Gareth Hopkins in 2008, Brad Haddin knocking the bails off a ball that didn't bowl Neil Broom around the same year, the disgraceful behaviour in the 2015 World Cup final by Haddin mostly and Faulkner, Brett Lee beaming and bouncing tail enders, Glenn McGrath being a hypocrite and thinking he's allowed to sledge but Sarwan isn't, Trevor Chappell not having the nuts to bowl a yorker on the biggest ground in the world to a tailender who'd just arrived at the crease needing six to tie, Justin Langer as a coach in general, David Warner as a person in general, I could go on.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously though, the mosque attacks in Chch in 2019. So nearly involved the Bangladesh players. Not during a game but during a tour. Same with the shooting of the Sri Lankan players on their bus in Pakistan.

stephen

Greg Dyer claiming the catch in 1986, Michael Clarke claiming a similarly filthy one off Gareth Hopkins in 2008, Brad Haddin knocking the bails off a ball that didn't bowl Neil Broom around the same year, the disgraceful behaviour in the 2015 World Cup final by Haddin mostly and Faulkner, Brett Lee beaming and bouncing tail enders, Glenn McGrath being a hypocrite and thinking he's allowed to sledge but Sarwan isn't, Trevor Chappell not having the nuts to bowl a yorker on the biggest ground in the world to a tailender who'd just arrived at the crease needing six to tie, Justin Langer as a coach in general, David Warner as a person in general, I could go on.
Been to the physio recently? That chip is putting your spine out.

Flem274*

123/5
australia have had some special cowards tbf. im the last person on earth to defend james anderson, but michael clarke's chirping from behind the shoulders of his fast bowlers goes down as one of the most courageous acts i've seen on a cricket field. truly an inspirational man.

it's the sort of thing that opens the moral floodgates to anything goes against your side, which as we know australia can't handle when it comes back their way and the Australian Line emerges.

fortunately your union team exists and your league teams love dropping games they should win to a permanently in chaos south auckland club.

stephen

It's quite possible I may have gone for years without thinking about Rugby Union if it wasn't for your comment here. Such a dud of a sport.