• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular all-rounder for a top side

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And it's not even the stats, he just didn't look like a cricketer at all. It honestly looked as if a random clerk from a local bank had been called up to play cricket. Look at him ffs.

cnerd123

likes this
I used to dominate sides on EA Cricket 2000 with Vijay Bharadwaj

His ODI stats were pretty decent in the end. 27 with the bat and 19 with the ball.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I give you James Franklin the converted true batting allrounder. 10 tests for an average of 18 with the bat and 107 with the ball.

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo
Wow that's poor with the ball.

I don't believe in splits, though, else we'll end up with some Ian Botham from 1987-1992 as a leading contender:

14 tests: Bat Ave 20.57; Bowl Ave 57.52

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...7;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

or 1989 - 1992: Bat 14.30, bowl; bowl 48.6

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...9;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...9;spanval2=span;template=results;type=bowling

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Miyagi, I think you should define 'Worst' and 'Top' by a cut-off. Then, you can get specific players.

TheJediBrah

James Franklin was a woeful bowler form what I saw. Him feeding half volleys with the new ball to Justin Langer at Adelaide in 2004 lives on in my memory. Converting to a batsman was definitely the right choice

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Miyagi, I think you should define 'Worst' and 'Top' by a cut-off. Then, you can get specific players.
Fair point cricaddict, but, I'm leaving "worst" everyone's wide interpretation and discretion so everyone can have a say, be it comparative to team or absolute. By top - I just mean primarily to avoid the battling minnows, where the guy may have been a stronger player in a team that just happened to be weak and getting established, like I appreciate noone has said Mohammad Ashrahful as yet.

I just don't think splits are fair on people being selected on earlier glories. It isn't like Franklin or Botham were always spuds, they did have a lot of good in their careers, Botham especially, so I think its harsh to include them. This is for "Wow, not this spud again... clearly he's not good enough..."

I get where people are comming from with splits, but maybe we could do a "worst career end" or "awful career starts" thread at a later date. Someone has already identified that Mitch Marsh is on the mend. I think that would be a great separate thread, from no hopers to comparative glory. (Dipak Patel's career springs to mind a lil bit too - albeit from batsman a/r to bowler a/r). Botham and Franklin are obviously candidates for worst end.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
At least other sides had a person to be called worst. SL hadn't had any at test level Closest was Ravi Ratnayeke 26 with bat and 36 with ball.

In ODIs Sachith PAthirana and Sekkuige Ptrasanna takes the crown.

TheJediBrah

At least other sides had a person to be called worst. SL hadn't had any at test level Closest was Ravi Ratnayeke 26 with bat and 36 with ball.

In ODIs Sachith PAthirana and Sekkuige Ptrasanna takes the crown.
Chandana?

TheJediBrah

Legspinner who could bat. He, Dharmasena and Ruwan Kalpage punched well above their weights (which were slight) with the bat, and Vaas too.
bowling average of 41 though

Batting average of 26. The same batting stats as they guy you named as the worst all rounder except worse bowling. I dunno I always saw him as an all-rounder, I mean he averaged 30 in FC cricket with 8 centuries. If that's not an all-rounder then very few players are.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
bowling average of 41 though

Batting average of 26. The same batting stats as they guy you named as the worst all rounder except worse bowling. I dunno I always saw him as an all-rounder, I mean he averaged 30 in FC cricket with 8 centuries. If that's not an all-rounder then very few players are.
Chandana was an ODI bowler. He, Dharmasena and Kalpage was expected to keep the runs down while Murali takes the wickets in ODIs. All three did not play much tests. They were called "all rounders" because SL did not have any except Jayasuriya in ODIs. And Sl FCC is ****. Dharmasena has 12 odd centuries and averages 30+ with bat.

smash84

The Tiger King
Upul Chandana was one of the best fielders ever probably, he was really good. Had a really good arm too from the deep given that his whole body was about as thick as a toothpick

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Chandana was an ODI bowler. He, Dharmasena and Kalpage was expected to keep the runs down while Murali takes the wickets in ODIs. All three did not play much tests. They were called "all rounders" because SL did not have any except Jayasuriya in ODIs. And Sl FCC is ****. Dharmasena has 12 odd centuries and averages 30+ with bat.
Dunno man. You call Ravi Ratnayeke (with a FC average of 28 and 1 hundred) an all-rounder but not Chandana with a FC average over 30 and 8 hundreds? I'd defer to your clearly superior knowledge of Sri Lankan cricket but those classifications just don't make sense.