• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's top 10 six hitters? (Current players)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
You cant really include Pietersen after only 9 games (although no doubt he'll be there when he's play 90 games still).

Isolator

State 12th Man
Why Kemp? One or two good games isn't sufficient evidence. I don't think he'll be doing stuff like that again in a hurry. Unless he's done it earlier, in which case I'm a moron.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think a lot of Kemp's sixes would have landed short on average sized boundaries, they were just much shorter than usual in SA. Most of Pietersen's sixes would have cleared the ropes on almost any Test ground in the World tho.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Kemp and Afridi are quite possibly the best six-hitters in the world right now. Afridi is amazing on the go. Regarding Kemp v Pietersen: Kemp hits them crazy distances, but Pietersen does it so unexpectedly.

One of the most effortless six-hitters I've seen is Dwayne Smith. Pity about the rest of his batting game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
I think a lot of Kemp's sixes would have landed short on average sized boundaries, they were just much shorter than usual in SA. Most of Pietersen's sixes would have cleared the ropes on almost any Test ground in the World tho.
Well I didn't see Pietersen's last century, but I beg to differ aside from that. Kemp hit some monster blows and a few of Pietersen's didn't land too far over the ropes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
One of Kemp's in his 80 left the ground. Absolutely huge. Smith, I think, nearly wet himself with laughter. The only bigger sixes I've seen were from Astle.

Scaly piscine

I wasn't saying there weren't any huge sixes from Kemp, but he got 7 sixes in that 80 and that was the game where the boundaries were almost minimum length if I remember correctly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
imranrabb said:
Afridi hit the biggest six ever recently in perth against symonds
FYI, the World Record stands thus: The Reverend W Fellows, while at practice on the Christ Church ground at Oxford in 1856, drove a ball bowled by Charles Rogers 175 yards from hit to pitch.

Wisden 2004, page 363

Bookie

U19 12th Man
Reading back, either you poeple don't count Klusener as a current player or you just dont know who he is.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Votes so far...
7 Cairns, Flintoff, Afridi, Razzaq, Pietersen
6 Gilchrist, Sehwag
5 Jayasuriya
4 Kemp, Ganguly
3 Gayle
2 Powell, Astle, Hinds, Klusener
1 Yuvraj, Symonds, Lara, Ponting

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Bookie said:
Reading back, either you poeple don't count Klusener as a current player or you just dont know who he is.
Agreeded, that guy can go crazy. My others would be Seywag, Cairnes, Gilly and Afridi.

Scaly piscine

Neil Pickup said:
Votes so far...
7 Cairns, Flintoff, Afridi, Razzaq, Pietersen
6 Gilchrist, Sehwag
5 Jayasuriya
4 Kemp, Ganguly
3 Gayle
2 Powell, Astle, Hinds, Klusener
1 Yuvraj, Symonds, Lara, Ponting
Interesting that Gayle gets 3 votes, he'd be comfortably bottom of the list mentioned above in my mind. He's a good 4 hitter but once the field goes back he struggles a bit and I don't recall him going berserk with 6s like a Pietersen or a Kemp too often.