• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Best Young Talent

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
ClownSymonds said:
Half of the guys you all mention will be past retirement age 10 years from now. You'd have to consider only those younger than 25, really. I won't speculate much for now, but I would say that Shoaib Malik is likely to be a star for quite some time. Though his spin bowling hasn't improved all that much, his batting ability has sky rocketed. However, the best young player, of course, is Graeme Smith. He averages 54 and 40 in Tests and ODIs already, and he seems to be getting better as time goes on. He should prove to be one of the all-time greats once he's done.
Erm... have you ever seen the guy bat?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Really will be a tragic day when I start taking advice from a biased fool like you.
I wasn't giving any advice, that is your forte....(respectofactor...) :p

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Erm... have you ever seen the guy bat?
Of course I've seen him bat. He's a very solid batsman, and usually only seems vulnerable when bored and intent on playing big shots. Just now he scored 177 not out in a Pakistan vs. Rest of Pakistan match while opening the innings. He handled Shoaib Akhtar quite well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
O so you have started lying also. I cant say I am surprised.
And you started quoting selectively..now that is surprising.. please continue with your name calling.. :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
please continue with your name calling
I do not believe in name calling. What I said regarding you is based upon variances in your posts on CW and nothing else.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Alexei Kervezee, he's gonna be a huge boast to dutch cricket ! and got a load of county's waiting for him already.

ir0n desi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
1.Graham Smith
2.Gatum Gambhir
3.Younis Khan
4.Ramnaresh Sarwan
5.Mohammad Ashraful
6.Michael Clarke
7.Neil McKenzie
8.Mark Boucher
9.Irfan Pathan
10.Harbhajan Singh
11.Avishkar Salvi

simmy

International Regular
Salmon Butt needs to be in the list... looks fluent and with a good temperament. Reminds me of me! :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On Patel:

I explained at length why I did not rate Patel almost two years earlier while he was being selected in the team constanty.

http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=6140&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ganguly+dropped+tests

I dont know how many of you have seen him perform in the series vs New Zealand in India. He missed several chances and was the worst I have seen any one perform on Indian pitches. Him being young doesnt mean he gets a place in the Indian national squad for me. His batting looks okay but his keeping is not good for me.

As far as Ratra goes, he doesnt have a good test average yet but at 21-22, he too is young. So if some one says Patel should get a chance, the same logic can go for Ratra.

Dighe I think got very unfairly treated by the selectors. He was a very good batsman and has had some good knocks playing domestic cricket in a highly competitive Mumbai Ranji Trophy team for over 10 years now. He should have been looked into the team along with Mongia itself very early on. However, by playing that crucial knock in the third test in the historic India-Australia series (in a pressure situation), he showed why he should have been in the team much before the likes of a Vijay Yadav when he was selected in 1993-94. This ofcourse is going back a lot in history which just shows how much Dighe missed.

While Mongia was no doubt an excellent keeper, he didnt really provide solid batting performances for India over the years when he did play. This is where I would rank Dighe even higher over Mongia. Mongia had soem attitude problems which was revealed by Ganguly in the ESPN cricket show which I too saw but I wuold have liked Dighe get more chances.

As far as the current keepers is concerned, easily Dasgupta should not be there as a keeper and neither should Patel. They are good/average/acceptable batsmen but even Patel's keeping is suspect from all I have seen of his short career till now. He may turn out good later on but not right now.

I would have had Dighe play for 2-3 more years from 2000 when he played that crucial knock and then give some one younger a chance. I must say, Karim too was unlucky in being blinded when he got a chance so late in his test career in Dhaka by the Kumble bowl. He ofcourse had no one to blame as he did not wear a helmet but thats another matter.

This is not confronting Liam. I understood his point that his comment was made after seeing him the matches he did where he found him quite good. Patel has been included in the Board President's XI squad. Maybe he can make a very good keeper who can serve India within two years. India certainly will not be complaining to have some keepers competing for a place - Karthik, Dhoni, an improved Patel and some new guy.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
1 AB de Villiers (RSA)
2 Shikhar Dhawan (IND)
3 Mohammad Ashraful (BAN)
4 Ambati Rayudu (IND)
5 Billy Godleman (ENG)
6 Mushfiqur Rahim (BAN)
7 Mansoor Amjad (PAK)
8 Irfan Pathan (IND)
9 Tom Smith (ENG)
10 Mohammad Asif (PAK)
11 ???

irfan

State Captain
1 G Gambhir
2 P Jaques (killing em in domestic cricket)
3 Y Khan
4 A Rayudu
5 M Clarke
6 S Raina
7 T Taibu (provided Zim still playin)
8 I Pathan
9 J Anderson
10 D Cullen
11 F Edwards

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I for one have no doubt that Kenya will have Test status within the next 10 years.
*bump* 6 years to go.

Still think so? :)

Anyway the reason I dug this thread up is with Eng U'19s in Malaysia ATM, how do people think Godleman, Northeast and other potential exciting talent are developing. The U19s results havent been great recently but at a developmental level, results are secondary to progressing as players.

Last edited: