• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"World XI in 2008"

Xuhaib

International Coach
Well 2008 is quite far away and i know that a lot of things can happen in the meantime such as new players coming up, a player dramtically improving (Freddie) or another suddenly declining (Sachin) but just for the fun of it we will assume things remain constant except the ages of the player. So my World XI would be

1.Shewag
2.Smith
3.Ponting
4.K.P
5.Hussy
6.Freddie
7.Akmal
8.Warne
9.Munaf
10.S.Jones
11.Asif

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah I don't understand this SHEWAG rubbish. Some obscure Indians decided to call him that and now so many use it. Sounds like some shaggy dog that way. Not like he's any better than a shaggy dog these days ...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Well 2008 is quite far away and i know that a lot of things can happen in the meantime such as new players coming up, a player dramtically improving (Freddie) or another suddenly declining (Sachin) but just for the fun of it we will assume things remain constant except the ages of the player. So my World XI would be

1.Shewag
2.Smith
3.Ponting
4.K.P
5.Hussy
6.Freddie
7.Akmal
8.Warne
9.Munaf
10.S.Jones
11.Asif
pretty much agree with you except i think Lee or Ntini should surely be there instead of Patel while Trescothick for me would be ahead Smith for the second opener slot since i think Tres is a better opener than him.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Xuhaib said:
f
If we assumer everything is the same in 2008, won't the world XI be the same as to world XI as it is now?

And, i feel Simon Jones is over rated by a lot of people on this forum, i think that he's so highly hyped because he hardly ever plays. In the ashes last year he bowler really well for 4 test matches(not taking that away from him, he was fantastic) but due to injury, that's all he's done so we haven't seen the not-so-good side of Jones yet, skewing peoples opinions of him.

William

Cricket Spectator
open365 said:
If we assumer everything is the same in 2008, won't the world XI be the same as to world XI as it is now?

And, i feel Simon Jones is over rated by a lot of people on this forum, i think that he's so highly hyped because he hardly ever plays. In the ashes last year he bowler really well for 4 test matches(not taking that away from him, he was fantastic) but due to injury, that's all he's done so we haven't seen the not-so-good side of Jones yet, skewing peoples opinions of him.
That's probably true to some extent but I'd argue that he's got all the tools, it's just a question of whether he can put it all together consistently. Oh.. and whether he can actually get on a cricket pitch with any regularity.

open365

William said:
That's probably true to some extent but I'd argue that he's got all the tools, it's just a question of whether he can put it all together consistently. Oh.. and whether he can actually get on a cricket pitch with any regularity.
Somehow i think your last point may have more bearing on his career than the first, it can't imagine what he must be feeling like with all the injuries.

Jones can bowl great wicket taking deliveries on a regular basis, but accuracy is the main thing he needs to improve on yet accuracy is very much a rythm thing IMO which with the injuries suffered by Jones, he hasn't yet got a long enough period to show what he's relaly made of.

TIF

U19 Debutant
Smith
Trescothick
Ponting
Pietersen
Hussey
Flintoff
Dhoni
Irfan Pathan
Munaf Patel
Mohammad Asif
Muralitharan

open365

Why does it seem that me and Richard are the only people that wouldn't have Trescothick in a world 11???:wacko:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
open365 said:
Why does it seem that me and Richard are the only people that wouldn't have Trescothick in a world 11???:wacko:
I don't know, but he's on course to become England's highest run-scorer ever, and his runs total in 2005 was 16th on the all-time list of most runs in a calendar year - some stats you can't ignore.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
1.Sehwag
2.Trescothick
3.Ponting
4.Pietersen
5.Hussy
6.Flintoff
7.Dhoni
8.Warne
9.Ntini
10. H.Singh/Kumble
11.Sreesanth

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Barney Rubble said:
I don't know, but he's on course to become England's highest run-scorer ever, and his runs total in 2005 was 16th on the all-time list of most runs in a calendar year - some stats you can't ignore.

Thats a little misleading, just like Warne's total wickets in a calender year is misleading. If you play a lot of tests, you will invariably score more runs. Assuming you play a minimum of like seven or eight tests a year, you have to go by averages.

I wouldn't have him on my world XI either.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
1.Sehwag
2.Smith
3.Ponting
4.Dravid
5.Hussey
6.Freddie
7.Akmal
8.Warne
9.Lee
10.S.Jones
11.Murali

I want to see Warne and Murali bowling in tandem on a turning wicket.

Jungle Jumbo

Armadillo said:
Why can't people spell S-E-H-W-A-G right on this forum. Its not even pronounced shewag.
Actually I think he started his career known as Shewag. Wisden in 2001 certainly lists him with this spelling.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
1.Sehwag
2.Smith
3.Ponting
4.Dravid
5.Hussey
6.Freddie
7.Akmal
8.Warne
9.Lee
10.S.Jones
11.Murali

I want to see Warne and Murali bowling in tandem on a turning wicket.
Hm, no. No one for Smith to push up the order when he figures out he can't face the new ball. ;)

open365

Barney Rubble said:
He averages 45, which is great for the time he's been playing, but quite frankly, we are spoilt for choice with openers in world cricket atm, and i think most of them are better than Tres.

He plays a lot of cricket matches, more than anyone in the England side by far, he's the fastest player to 1000,2000,3000,4000 and 5000 test runs in terms of days elasped, which just goes to show we are playing far too much cricket these days.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Thats a little misleading, just like Warne's total wickets in a calender year is misleading. If you play a lot of tests, you will invariably score more runs. Assuming you play a minimum of like seven or eight tests a year, you have to go by averages.

I wouldn't have him on my world XI either.
:laugh: You obviously didn't watch the Ashes. :happy:

adharcric

International Coach
First of all, is this an ODI or Test XI? I'm seeing Warne in there, which would indicate Test XI. But Warne probably won't even last through 2008, the guy's getting old now.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
But Warne probably won't even last through 2008, the guy's getting old now.
Blasphemy! :wacko: :laugh: Honestly, if it weren't for the shoulder niggle a couple days ago, I would say he's looking fitter and fitter. I think it's more down to his desire to play.