• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"World XI in 2008"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
KaZoH0lic said:
:laugh: You obviously didn't watch the Ashes. :happy:

Hmm? I said it was misleading, not inaccurate. Warne is easily the best slow bowler in the world, and probably the best bowler in the world, period. Nevertheless, his number of wickets are inflated by the amount of matches Aus played.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
KaZoH0lic said:
Blasphemy! :wacko: :laugh: Honestly, if it weren't for the shoulder niggle a couple days ago, I would say he's looking fitter and fitter. I think it's more down to his desire to play.

THat means he will tour England again? I doubt it.

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
adharcric said:
Yeah I don't understand this SHEWAG rubbish. Some obscure Indians decided to call him that and now so many use it. Sounds like some shaggy dog that way. Not like he's any better than a shaggy dog these days ...
I think Deano calls him SEEWAG or SEAWAG and thats where it went from SEEWAG to SHEWAG, if I am making any common "seense" at all ;)

adharcric

International Coach
kvemuri said:
I think Deano calls him SEEWAG or SEAWAG and thats where it went from SEEWAG to SHEWAG, if I am making any common "seense" at all ;)
No you're not even making uncommon seense there. :laugh:
How do you go from SEEWAG or SEAWAG to SHEWAG?
Actually, let's end this debate right now.
Sehwag might not be donning the India blues for very long with his current form, so this Sehwag vs. Shewag controversy won't really matter anymore.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's a lot of guesswork involved in picking a world XI for two years off, given that we don't know who will retire or anything, but based on who I think will be around and how they have performed recently...

Matthew Hayden
Graeme Smith/Virender Sehwag/Marcus Trescothick/someone else
Ricky Ponting
Rahul Dravid
Michael Hussey
Andrew Flintoff
Kamran Akmal
Brett Lee
Simon Jones
Mohammad Asif
Muttiah Muralitharan

Ming

State 12th Man
1 Astle
2 Vincent
3 Taylor
4 Fleming
5 Styris
6 Ryder
7 McCullum
8 Oram
9 Vettori
10 Franklin
11 Bond

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
This is my left-field selection:

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Shahariar Nafees
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Ian Bell
6. Mike Hussey
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Brendon McCullum
9. Rana Naved-ul-hasan
10. Simon Jones
11. Danish Kaneria

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
And for ODIs:

1. Chris Gayle
2. MS Dhoni
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Mohammed Ashraful
7. Mike Hussey
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Rana Naved-ul-hasan
10. Brett Lee
11. Shane Bond

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
open365 said:
He averages 45, which is great for the time he's been playing, but quite frankly, we are spoilt for choice with openers in world cricket atm, and i think most of them are better than Tres.

He plays a lot of cricket matches, more than anyone in the England side by far, he's the fastest player to 1000,2000,3000,4000 and 5000 test runs in terms of days elasped, which just goes to show we are playing far too much cricket these days.
He averaged 55.12 last year, he did have a great year, he was the most consistent batsman in the Ashes, only going for single figures once, and I certainly hope he's at his best this summer, and that he does great things :)

He'd be in my XI

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Hmm? I said it was misleading, not inaccurate. Warne is easily the best slow bowler in the world, and probably the best bowler in the world, period. Nevertheless, his number of wickets are inflated by the amount of matches Aus played.
How'd he do in the Ashes though? I'd say fantastic, I'd say the best player between both teams. How many wickets did he get in that series? Just under half his wicket tally for the whole year. I dunno, how's that misleading? He played fantastic last year. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
How'd he do in the Ashes though? I'd day fantastic, I'd say the best player between both teams. How many wickets did he get in that series? Just under half his wicket tally for the whole year. I dunno, how's that misleading? He played fantastic last year. I guess we'll agree to disagree.
He isn't saying anything against Warne's undoubtable quality as a bowler, he is saying that he played a lot of games in the year which contributed to him getting the said award.

And it's true, if he played the same amount of games as Lille(the current record holder) he would have ended uo with 2-3 less wickets.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
He isn't saying anything against Warne's undoubtable quality as a bowler, he is saying that he played a lot of games in the year which contributed to him getting the said award.

And it's true, if he played the same amount of games as Lille(the current record holder) he would have ended uo with 2-3 less wickets.
That's my point, kinda. He got 40 of them in one test series alone. Shane is the new record holder and how does 2-3 wickets mislead?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Upul Tharanga
Phil Jaques
Peter Fulton
Kevin Pietersen
Mohammad Ashraful
Andrew Flintoff (c)
Kamran Akmal (wk)
Brett Lee
Mohammad Asif
Simon Jones
Emanul Haque Jnr

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ashraful to be better than Hussey, Kallis, Dravid and Ponting in 2 years? Daring prediction there. :p
I thought having Emanul Haque Jnr infront for Warne and Murali was more daring. :D

The way i look at it, if someone asked you this two years ago then Lara and Tendulkar will be two of the first names in the side. But now Tendulkar will be no where near a World XI and Lara just makes it, but then you would probably have do drop either Kallis, Dravid or Ponting. These might be reaching their prime by then, or establishing themselves as one of the better players of their era.