• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Words That Came Back to Bite

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
"I definitely believe if any of our batsmen get out to Giles in the Tests they should go and hang themselves."
Terry Alderman before the 2005 Ashes

Thankfully Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Clarke, Martyn and Warne ignored this particular gem.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
"I didn't see him turn a single ball from leg to off. I don't believe we will have much problem with him."
Keith Fletcher's report on Kumble's series in SA before England toured India under his management in 1992/93.

Kumble duly took 21 wickets the three match series, which India won 3-0. Who'd have thought that a spinner would pose more of a threat in India than in SA?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nasser at Adelaide was the worst insertion ever.
Brisbane maybe in the first test of that series? Not a great call by Nasser, but I'd argue that Australia were so much better than us that it didn't really change anything. Whereas Ponting's decision to insert us at Edgbaston probably cost them the series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
David Lloyd telling his team mates after the tour match vs Qld in 74/75 that he could play Thomson “with his dick.”

i mean, he did I guess. Just not the way he intended.

Burgey

Brisbane maybe in the first test of that series? Not a great call by Nasser, but I'd argue that Australia were so much better than us that it didn't really change anything. Whereas Ponting's decision to insert us at Edgbaston probably cost them the series.
Yeah it was a pretty arrogant call after mcgrath got hurt. Had he been fit o could understand him doing it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. Not sure why I wrote Adelaide. In my defence I thought my roof was about to disappear.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully it didn't. And I hope you and yours are all OK. Am I right in thinking that Devon is having a worse time of it than SW London?
There’s red warnings in place for parts of London but I’m not too sure on specifics.
I’m on the outside edge of the eye of it so it could be worse.

trundler

Somebody please dig that post about Micky Lewis not being bad enough to lose Australia the 434 game.

subshakerz

International Coach
Nasser Hussain in 2003: "Yeah, Greg…Graeme…what’s-his-name, is a very fine leader’'...then proceeds to drop a catch of Smith as he scores a double hundred in the 1st test and over 700 runs in the series.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
"I feel in a really good place with my batting, I feel confident that I can, in these next three games, bang out a hundred in these conditions"

Joe Root, Ashes 2021-22