• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer on Afridi!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Ahh... the number of times I`ve read that! :D
sorry about that :)

I saw it for the first time today as i was checking Afridi's ODI bowling stats :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But ur prediction were more about Afridi's bowling ability rather than his batting...or am i wrong on it?
Not wrong, no. I THINK I said something along the lines of "his batting has improved and his bowling has improved by HEAPS so I think he'll be in the top allrounders within two years if he gets a decent run in the Test side".

Basically what I'm saying is that his bowling always seemed the far less effective of his abilities but it appears to have improved heaps. With the improvement in his batting, I honestly think he has the tools now (raw ability + experience) to be in the top 3 allrounders if not the best. Time will tell if he puts it all together.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
SJS said:
sorry about that :)

I saw it for the first time today as i was checking Afridi's ODI bowling stats :)
Haha it`s fine! I wasn`t saying it in a bad way, I`ve just read it so many times for whatever reasons. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Haha it`s fine! I wasn`t saying it in a bad way, I`ve just read it so many times for whatever reasons. :)
There is another very interesting article on his century and where he played his shots and how he treated different length balls which makes very interesting reading.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
There is another very interesting article on his century and where he played his shots and how he treated different length balls which makes very interesting reading.
Front-foot blaster
On the ball with S Rajesh and Arun Gopalakrishnan
April 15, 2005​

How does one approach the task of bowling to Shahid Afridi? The Indians tried most weapons in their armoury, but not much worked – full and good-length deliveries were spanked away, while the short balls were dispatched without too much fuss. The only area which kept Afridi relatively quiet was a back-of-a-length region – when the two Indian seamers pitched it there, he scored only five from 11 balls. Zaheer Khan, who bowled a slightly shorter length, had relatively better figures, going at 7.83 runs an over against Afridi. Lakshmipathy Balaji, on the other hand, bowled a fuller length and was thrashed, conceding 26 off eight balls. In fact, Afridi scored 66 from 27 off the front foot – that's more than two runs per ball. When playing back, he was slightly more restrained, scoring 21 from 13.

What also stood out about Afridi's knock was the areas in which he scored his runs. He didn't score a single run in the third man or point region, and there was nothing much for the fine-leg fielder to do either. Instead, Afridi mostly offered the full face of the bat, scoring 42 in the V between mid-off and mid-on.

Attachments

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
alot has probably been said already about Afridi so i don't have to butt in and repeat other's words.
He is definitely very talented and can destroy any bowling on his day, however, in my opinion, I think Woolmer knows better than to call Afridi the most talented cricketer he has ever seen. He has been around for how quite some time, so, it is a verrryyyy biiiggg statement. [would definitely do me confidence a huge boost if i am Mister Masterblaster :p ]

But then again, it is Woolmer's opinion. i will be the first to admit that i have a rather unjustified admiration for James Anderson so it is just a personal thing.

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
the real question is, if you are bowling to afridi....and may you be wasim akram, mcgrath, vaas, gillispie, waqar, donald, pollock....would you be afraid of getting bitch slapped while bowling to him in his current form?

I would be.

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
also, wasn't he quoted as saying that shane warne was an extremely easy bowler to play.

cricket player

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
The thing is, is he ever in any form?

Every innings is a hit or miss effort.
But the 5th odi againts India he was in form indeed,Hitting The second fastest hundreth isnt easy my friend If it was that easy gilly sehwag and other good batsman could have done it easily but sens it is not I would give afridi benefit of the doubt That he one hell of a batsman and can destroye any bowler in any time,

deeps

International 12th Man
SJS said:
How is your driving ??

alot better:D

they still go in the air sometimes, and now i'm trying to drive anything and everything, but once i get over the novelty of it, i shld b alright :p

haven't had a big hit , just a few small hitouts so yeh

cheers!

Deja moo

International Captain
cricket player said:
But the 5th odi againts India he was in form indeed,Hitting The second fastest hundreth isnt easy my friend If it was that easy gilly sehwag and other good batsman could have done it easily but sens it is not I would give afridi benefit of the doubt That he one hell of a batsman and can destroye any bowler in any time,

There are any number of batsmen in cricket who could do it if they hadnt the instinct of survival for long periods. The fact that Afridis been able to do it just twice in 200 innings' is a surprise really given that this is probably his only aim everytime he walks out to bat. If Lara, for example, were given that licence, he would probably have the ten fastest hundreds to his name by now.

cricket player

International Debutant
Deja moo said:
There are any number of batsmen in cricket who could do it if they hadnt the instinct of survival for long periods. The fact that Afridis been able to do it just twice in 200 innings' is a surprise really given that this is probably his only aim everytime he walks out to bat. If Lara, for example, were given that licence, he would probably have the ten fastest hundreds to his name by now.
mooooooooooooooooo!Listen afridi is The best no matter what you say :p

marc71178 said:
The thing is, is he ever in any form?

Every innings is a hit or miss effort.
But strangely lately it has been all hits!!

If he continue like that than he will become a real dangerous batsman.