• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer on Afridi!!

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
if woolmer thinks that hes the most talented hes ever seen, he hasnt seen too many players. as brilliant as afridi was this series, he still managed to average a lot under 40.
well to be honest he had that hundred..and didnt make too many more runs than that...so I think it would be fair to say he was brilliant in one match, and so-so to poor in the rest

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
well to be honest he had that hundred..and didnt make too many more runs than that...so I think it would be fair to say he was brilliant in one match, and so-so to poor in the rest
well the 2 40s were pretty good, got pakistan the start they needed and did the damage early on. i dont see him doing the same outside the subcontinent though, at least not at the top of the order.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
well the 2 40s were pretty good, got pakistan the start they needed and did the damage early on. i dont see him doing the same outside the subcontinent though, at least not at the top of the order.

His position will most probably be in the lower order. I dont want him opening the innings.
Should be someone less volatile

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Afridi got SO MUCH TALENT! he is sooooo talented his way of playing is just to pakistani, smash smash smash and forgetting to build up a innings properly.

nehrafan

Banned
masterblaster said:
I find it ironic how a fan of Ashish Nehra can continously downgrade the Pakistani cricketers. As an Indian fan, i'm quite appauled. It's people like nehrafan who never let the constant bickering between India and Pakistan go.

We've all moved on now, and peace and appreciation of one another is the new flavour.
Just shut up, will you?

I'm NOT trying to downgrade Afridi's talent :@ , i was expressing my doubts over Woolmer description of Afridi as the most talented player he has ever seen in his lifetime.If one go strickly by his statements then Afridi becomes more taleneted than the likes of Viv Richards,Tendulkar, Steven and others!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
nehrafan said:
Just shut up, will you?

I'm NOT trying to downgrade Afridi's talent :@ , i was expressing my doubts over Woolmer description of Afridi as the most talented player he has ever seen in his lifetime.If one go strickly by his statements then Afridi becomes more taleneted than the likes of Viv Richards,Tendulkar, Steven and others!
So you are trying to downgrade Afridi's talent?

:D

nehrafan

Banned
Voltman said:
So you are trying to downgrade Afridi's talent?

:D
8-) 8-) Whatever!

Atleast i'm not the one who's saying that he bats like a 4 yr old kid !!

He has talent, anyone can see that ,but to say that he happen to be the most talented player in the last 60 years is plain stupid in my opinion!

Langeveldt

Soutie
nehrafan said:
In one of the interviews Woolmer claimed that S Afridi is the most talented cricketer that Woolmer has EVER SEEN in his entire life :blink:

Obviously thats far from true.

But the real qs is that , is afridi finally in the game to stay and has improved? or is he just enjoying a lucky run on flat pitches?
Woolmer spot on as usual..

Talent doesn't always equal batting average.. As Afridi demonstrates.. The most devestating hitter ever?, but couldnt hit you a proper century day in day out like the true greats.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I say he's ready to kick on. I predicted as much in my Prognostications thread; if he gets a long run in the Test side, I've said that I think he'll be right up there as far as world allrounders go, let alone in the ODI's. The way he hit the ball in Australia was just outstanding but he also bowled very well. The signs are there that he's ready to finally take advantage of his prodigious natural talent.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Spot on TC.

I also thought his 50 in the third test against India was extremely mature. :)

Isolator

State 12th Man
All I'll say is that after this series, I'm going to watch every match Afridi plays in. For me, he's possibly the most entertaining batsman around, especially because I like his particular style, which is what keeps me from enjoying Gilchrist's and Sehwag's batting.

Top_Cat said:
I say he's ready to kick on. I predicted as much in my Prognostications thread; if he gets a long run in the Test side, I've said that I think he'll be right up there as far as world allrounders go, let alone in the ODI's. The way he hit the ball in Australia was just outstanding but he also bowled very well. The signs are there that he's ready to finally take advantage of his prodigious natural talent.

But ur prediction were more about Afridi's bowling ability rather than his batting...or am i wrong on it?

I think Afridi should spend some time with Rahul Dravid. What Afridi lacks is patience, i believe he tries to hit every ball for boundary because he can't resist the temptation.He he calm down a bit and play with patience and intelligence then he will become a very good player.

Eclipse

International Debutant
vandemataram said:
I think Afridi should spend some time with Rahul Dravid. What Afridi lacks is patience, i believe he tries to hit every ball for boundary because he can't resist the temptation.He he calm down a bit and play with patience and intelligence then he will become a very good player.
his techneque isn't really suited to anything other than attack though so he would have to make changes there..

his backlift is very high and he tends to step away slightly to the quick bowlers especialy early on.. this make's him quite vulenrable to edges.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
his techneque isn't really suited to anything other than attack though so he would have to make changes there..

his backlift is very high and he tends to step away slightly to the quick bowlers especialy early on.. this make's him quite vulenrable to edges.
This is an official profile of Afridi and, I think, very accurate. He is limited in his strokeplay.

A flamboyant allrounder who was brought into international cricket as a 16-year-old legspinner and surprised everyone but himself by pinch-hitting the fastest one-day hundred in his maiden innings. Shahid Afridi is a compulsive shot-maker. This is exciting while it lasts but is too often his undoing. An Afridi virtuoso is laced with fearless lofted drives and short-arm jabs over midwicket. He is at his best when forcing straight and at his weakest pushing at the ball just outside off. Afridi’s legspinners are underrated but he boasts a vicious faster ball, and his allround skills are completed by agile fielding. His batting version of Russian Roulette too easily allows Pakistan’s selectors to drop him when he is talented enough to be moulded into a world-class allrounder. He also possesses the firmest handshake in international cricket.
Kamran Abbasi