• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Greatest ODI Players of each decade

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I would go with the below.

1970s - Viv Richards
1980s - Kapil Dev
1990s - Wasim Akram
2000s - Glenn Mcgrath
2010s - Virat Kohli

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only downside to this argument is assuming grounds in other countries are small. In Sri Lanka for example, other than for RPS, all other grounds are of humungous size with special reference to MRICS Hambantota and Dambulla grounds. Pallekele is also pretty large.

May be our pitches were so crap, even our batters were unable to score on them.
Sri Lanka had the lowest average for batsmen in neutral games. Lower than Australia even.

anil1405

International Captain
Why do people rate Kohli above DeVilliers in 2010s ODIs?
Kohli has been better under pressure than AB. I know both haven't performed in WC knockout games but under other pressure circumstances Kohli has been one step above AB.

If I recollect the best knocks of these guys then the first knock that comes to my mind is Kohli's 133* against SL in Hobart which was a tremendous knock under pressure whereas ABs best knock for me is his 149 against Windies where he decimated the windies attack but the situation they were in wasn't a pressure situation.

These knocks are a reflection of how these two performed throughout their ODI careers. One excelled under pressure while the other person's strength was sheer brutality and I prefer the former for under-pressure performances.

anil1405

International Captain
Why was this a pressure game, it was just a random JAMODI tourney.
Because it's Australia where the grounds are hugeeee and batsmen tend to struggle to find boundaries with ease. Scoring 133 off 86 in such grounds is equivalent to ABs 149 off 44 on a very small ground. There was also this small matter of winning by a big margin to make it to finals.

anil1405

International Captain
In WC knockout games de Villiers averages 55 and Kohli averages 29. Not really equivalent.
Yeah he had this one good knock against NZ and if not for the rain it could've turned into a better knock but then Miller took over after rain. He has been pretty poor apart from that one knock though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was a pretty ****ed innings though. That was a big chase and he got them there with more than 10 overs to go.

(the Hobart one)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because it's Australia where the grounds are hugeeee and batsmen tend to struggle to find boundaries with ease. Scoring 133 off 86 in such grounds is equivalent to ABs 149 off 44 on a very small ground. There was also this small matter of winning by a big margin to make it to finals.
Hobart isn't a big ground by Australian standards.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I like the way the tape measure has become a symbol for the abacus. As the judgement is for individual decades there's not much scope for era adjustment so it's all about hectares instead.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Imagine a fielding setting on a ground. Then imagine the exact same fielding setting on a bigger ground.

How would hitting fours on the bigger ground be easier?
(Don't say 'well sixes will become fours' because that complete misses the point about it being easier for batsmen to score runs.)
Okay, 30 meter boundaries...oh what the hell, 10 meter boundaries with 11 fielders . Hit a four now......i dare you
You are completely ignoring how much open spaces matter. I repeat, apart from six hitting every thing else is way more easier on a bigger ground,.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Okay, 30 meter boundaries...oh what the hell, 10 meter boundaries with 11 fielders . Hit a four now......i dare you
You are completely ignoring how much open spaces matter. I repeat, apart from six hitting every thing else is way more easier on a bigger ground,.
Why hit a four when a 6 on those grounds you just defined is the norm?

By your logic, if we put a pitch on Ularu and made the boundaries the coastline, people would be hitting fours for fun.

You have theories, but so far, stays are saying otherwise.