• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Greatest ODI Players of each decade

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

1970s Viv Richards
1980s Kapil Dev
1990s Sachin Tendulkar
2000s Muttiah Muralitharan
2010s Virat Kohli

Thoughts?
This seems a rather Indian-centric list.

I'm not a big fan of Australian cricketers, but I'd go:

Viv - yes
Kapil - perhaps, or Viv again
1990s -Michael Bevan (averaged 60 in the 90s and changed the game)
2000s - McGrath
2010s - can't choose between Kohli and AB, so Mitchell Starc

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
This seems a rather Indian-centric list.

I'm not a big fan of Australian cricketers, but I'd go:

Viv - yes
Kapil - perhaps, or Viv again
1990s -Michael Bevan (averaged 60 in the 90s and changed the game)
2000s - McGrath
2010s - can't choose between Kohli and AB, so Mitchell Starc
AB better, Kohli played more matches.

Its better to select 2 players each
70s - nothing to discuss
80s - Kapil and Viv
90s - Sachin and Akram
00s - Mcgrath and Dhoni (missed half of the decade )
10s - AB and Kohli

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Also never realised how good Craig White's numbers were in that timeframe. Know he had that random mid career stretch of bowling good heat, but I thought that was only 12-18 months maximum. Strange cricketer

Uncle of Jake Lehmann interestingly enough. His sister married Boof

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, who was the poster here who was the massive RTD fan? Then whoever it was sort of went quiet when he had a **** WC or something.

Burgey

I don't really think RTD is the player of the 2000s btw, but his numbers are more dominant than Murali's on the stats you posted. It just shows how idiotic doing such a thing is.

If you're looking for the player of that decade it's probably McGrath. Virtually identical record to the shot-putter with added "Led his side to two undefeated WC titles" bonus.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I would go

Viv Richards for the 1970s
Kapil Dev for the 1980s
Sachin Tendulkar for the 1990s
Ricky Ponting for the 2000s
Virat Kohli for the 2010s

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would go

Viv Richards for the 1970s
Kapil Dev for the 1980s
Sachin Tendulkar for the 1990s
Ricky Ponting for the 2000s
Virat Kohli for the 2010s
Batsman bias, and not even choosing the best batsman in each era.

70s Richards - world cup wins, way ahead of his peers
80s Garner - probably first choice in an ATXI
90s Bevan - best batsman by a mile in the era
00s McGrath - two massive world cups including mots in the second of these
10s Starc - the standout bowler of the decade. The batsmen were close but Starc was way ahead of the rest of the bowlers.

Except for Garner, all featured in world cup wins in their listed decades of dominance. You could argue Kapil was the most impactful in the 80s, but you'd be arguing that for non cricketing reasons mostly. He wasn't the best bowler or batsman of the era and is only arguably the best all rounder (Hadlee the better overall package IMO).

Burgey

I dunno about Starc man. If Kohli played a decent Ko knock I’d have him as an absolute lock for the 2010s, and as it stands he’d probably shade it for me anyway.

Got no real issue with Kapil as an AR for the 80s either. Can make a decent case for Garner though, for sure.

Bevan and Tendulkar pretty close as batsmen in the 90s but completely different roles. Id be tempted to go with Wasim, but he’s an absolute fave of mine so happy to admit am biased towards him.