• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lakmal gets Bravo with a beauty. Coming from around the wicket to Bravo, the ball angled into Bravo and straightened...got the edge and found Shanaka at gully.
Bravo didn’t trouble the scorers at all today.

SillyCowCorner1

Hope falls in the next over. Playing across the line to a Vishwa Fernando delivery, ball gets the outdoes edge and skied to deepish point. Chandimal takes a gorgeous running catch.

shai made 68

So now we have two batsmen at the crease with no runs on the board.

SillyCowCorner1

Sylvester Joseph or the other guy on commentary just called Shai Hope a Greenidge-Haynes hybrid.

I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Sylvester Joseph or the other guy on commentary just called Shai Hope a Greenidge-Haynes hybrid.

I’m not sure how accurate that is.
question for you and @Beamer too (love what both of you bring and your passion for the cricket of the islands)

how does the change to the kookaburra affect the viability of rakheem playing during home series? the kooka does next to nothing in terms of giving consistent spin on aussie pitches though does reward guys who can vary their bounce and their angles

SillyCowCorner1

question for you and @Beamer too (love what both of you bring and your passion for the cricket of the islands)

how does the change to the kookaburra affect the viability of rakheem playing during home series? the kooka does next to nothing in terms of giving consistent spin on aussie pitches though does reward guys who can vary their bounce and their angles
Regarding the Kookaburra balls, you wouldn’t have to go far to see how effective Chase the off spinner was against Sri Lanka in the first innings of this warmup match.
One would expect the Sri Lankan’s to be very good at playing spin. Some of the shot selcetion

The main spinner in this match Veersammy Permaul didn’t get much turn.

How much turn Cornwall gets with the kook will be dependent on the wicket...

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Wait, when did WI switch to the Kookaburra? That's terrible.
It hasn't been officially announced (AFAIK) but they used it in the practice match and mentioned it on commentary. I guess it is because our batting is so useless and the Dukes ball designed for cricket in the Caribbean (larger seam than the UK one) swings miles. When India toured and Bumrah was swinging it around corners at 88 to 90mph it was too hot to handle. So they are probably erring on the side of caution.

Thanks mate. I was just thinking the other day that I would love to see Rakheem bowl in Australia as he gets so much bounce. I think Rakheem will play, Kraigg seems to like banking on the large number of tight overs he will deliver.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It hasn't been officially announced (AFAIK) but they used it in the practice match and mentioned it on commentary. I guess it is because our batting is so useless and the Dukes ball designed for cricket in the Caribbean (larger seam than the UK one) swings miles. When India toured and Bumrah was swinging it around corners at 88 to 90mph it was too hot to handle. So they are probably erring on the side of caution.
I can't think of a more retrograde step. The Kookaburra ball is terrible for test cricket (or any cricket actually) and it would further reinforce their completely undeserved monopoly.

Beamer

I can't think of a more retrograde step. The Kookaburra ball is terrible for test cricket (or any cricket actually) and it would further reinforce their completely undeserved monopoly.
I completely agree with you. Hopefully it's just a case of getting some form back for our batsmen. Would love to hear an official explanation.

SillyCowCorner1

Hearing about anything official from CWI is like waiting for the donkey cart to come home...

It seems like Sir Curtly has joined our support staff; this was observed in footages from the warmup match...
No one from CWI have announced anything as of yet

JOJOXI

I'd have liked to see the Dukes persisted with in the West Indies - I just worry how the pace attack does with the Kookaburra ball given they've seemed to struggle abroad (New Zealand of late on pretty helpful pitches) - the upturn in West Indies at home is built on the back of the pacers with the Dukes ball - this may be good for the long-term (not having to adapt to a different ball as soon as you are overseas) but I just worry for the short-term, I'd have probably preferred if this move was going to be made for it to be made when Roach/Gabriel are retiring with those waiting in the wings having ample practice with the Kookaburra in the years prior to this. I think visiting bowling attacks will fancy bowling at the batting lineup regardless of which ball is used too

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The idea that the Kookaburra ball will help the batsmen is laughable anyway. We use it here in Australia and with the exception of Smith and Marnus our batsmen can't play anything that deviates at all.

morgieb

The idea that the Kookaburra ball will help the batsmen is laughable anyway. We use it here in Australia and with the exception of Smith and Marnus our batsmen can't play anything that deviates at all.
I mean it's arguably helped them in Australia in fairness. To succeed in unfriendly conditions I think the approach is more "lots and lots of A-tours" rather than "a different ball".

Flem274*

123/5
yea what we really need is to make even jesse ryder a test bowler with a stupid cheat ball like the duke.

the kookaburra forces bowlers to actually be interesting, and good. look at the contrast between a nearly test level cricketer like matt henry in the plunket shield (good) compared to county cricket (pat cummins cantabrian brother).

Tom Flint

International Regular
Great news on Joseph signing for Worcestershire for the cc. I'm really excited to see how he gets on. This could be a turning point in his career