• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
This is west indies best chances of winning a few back to back series, so I can't see them rotating your best bowlers.
But that's the mistake they keep making. These aren't ordinary pacers we have in reserve, they are serious talents.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I would love to see some counties take a gamble on these guys. It has been a while since a county had a genuine west Indian overseas for majority of a season. Apallrt from fidel of course.
I think I remember holder coming over for a month or so and Gabriel had a nightmare couple of games one year.
Would be good for them as they could play three times as many red ball games as they do at home

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is west indies best chances of winning a few back to back series, so I can't see them rotating your best bowlers.
I agree with the best chance of winning a series. I know that it’s 20 wickets we need to win a game...I get what you are trying to say, but sometimes a new series at home is probably the best time to debut a new guy...

they are raw yes, but someone like Seales and a Smith bowling like test bowlers just adds more flavor to our current bowling attack.
Just saying.

SillyCowCorner1

I would love to see some counties take a gamble on these guys. It has been a while since a county had a genuine west Indian overseas for majority of a season. Apallrt from fidel of course.
I think I remember holder coming over for a month or so and Gabriel had a nightmare couple of games one year.
Would be good for them as they could play three times as many red ball games as they do at home
Miguel Cummins just signed for a county stint. It’s just that he’s not been a part of our setup for 2 years.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Miguel plays for my county Middlesex and he looked better for us than he ever did for wi!
I meant more an up and coming bowler like smith

SillyCowCorner1

The new and permanent test captain of the West Indies is Kraigg Brathwaite.

Have heard rumors of this over the past week. Good move!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with the best chance of winning a series. I know that it’s 20 wickets we need to win a game...I get what you are trying to say, but sometimes a new series at home is probably the best time to debut a new guy...

they are raw yes, but someone like Seales and a Smith bowling like test bowlers just adds more flavor to our current bowling attack.
Just saying.
Do you rate these guys over Chemar Holder?

Beamer

Is this good because Holder is a bad captain or is it good because it takes the weight off his shoulders?
Mixture of all of those things. I said in the SL thread that he was poor tactically but a superb ambassador and representative of the region.

There have been rumbling for a few weeks that those who went to Bangladesh were strongly lobbying for Kraigg because of the environment and team spirit he managed to create. Looks like they were true.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Holder's legacy is failing to travel with his guys over to Bangladesh and failing them as a human being.

Beamer

Holder's legacy is failing to travel with his guys over to Bangladesh and failing them as a human being.
I think that is harsh. West Indies players had been in more bubbles than any other test nation, all whilst on 50% pay. I think his legacy is bringing back respectability to the Test side and at least being able to win some test series at home and a few tests away. Given where we were at one point, this is an achievement and hopefully he has put building blocks in place for us to rise slowly up the test rankings.

His ODI captaincy is another topic of conversation. It was diabolical, not helped by the Cameron regimes desire to outcast all our best white ball players.

Beamer

Do you rate these guys over Chemar Holder?
Nope Chemar is at the front of the queue, but McSween and Seales can't be far behind. They were more impressive than him in the 4 day trial, but Chemar has obviously been doing it at FC and A team level for a couple of years now, so he gets the nod.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
So, the Windies have just posted their test team. Nice to see Mayers there, and nice to see WI trying a new captain, but the team list still irks me. Are there any plans to get Pooran on the test team? Are Hets and Chase washed up?

Beamer

So, the Windies have just posted their test team. Nice to see Mayers there, and nice to see WI trying a new captain, but the team list still irks me. Are there any plans to get Pooran on the test team? Are Hets and Chase washed up?
Hety played like a complete fool in the practice match, treating it like a T20. So the selectors said he is still in their plans but they want to see him play some proper 4 day cricket. I'm a Hety fan but he hasn't helped himself with either his fitness or attitude to 4 day batting.

Pooran I would like to see them be more proactive with, like asking him to play the practice match for example.

Chase deserved the drop big time, he has averaged less than 20 with the bat over the last 3 years, constantly getting out bowled or lbw not moving his feet, not fielding well either. He needs to get done enthusiasm back and score domestic runs.

All in all I was pretty happy with the squad, they did a reasonable job.

SillyCowCorner1

Hety played like a complete fool in the practice match, treating it like a T20. So the selectors said he is still in their plans but they want to see him play some proper 4 day cricket. I'm a Hety fan but he hasn't helped himself with either his fitness or attitude to 4 day batting.

Pooran I would like to see them be more proactive with, like asking him to play the practice match for example.

Chase deserved the drop big time, he has averaged less than 20 with the bat over the last 3 years, constantly getting out bowled or lbw not moving his feet, not fielding well either. He needs to get done enthusiasm back and score domestic runs.

All in all I was pretty happy with the squad, they did a reasonable job.
I see that they have Hope and Bravo in the President's XI team. It shows that management still have these guys in mind. On Pooran and Hety, I felt like they are missing out on a golden opportunity to spend some time in the middle and play red ball cricket. Hety, I seriously don't know what's in his head...he just donated $1 million to our local cricket board...and is working on building the game in our county, which is arguably the one where most of the talent is coming through...

As I am typing this, Chase just picked up his second wicket...and honestly, he is not a bad bowler. I wonder if he can a reverse-Steve Smith.

Beamer

I have to say Shai looked a million dollars in the warm up match yesterday, opening the batting. I wonder if that is something he will try in 4 day cricekt?

WICFan

U19 Captain
I have to say Shai looked a million dollars in the warm up match yesterday, opening the batting. I wonder if that is something he will try in 4 day cricekt?
West Indies could certainly do with another option at opener, it almost defies logic the numbers difference Hope has in Tests and ODI's.

Beamer

West Indies could certainly do with another option at opener, it almost defies logic the numbers difference Hope has in Tests and ODI's.
I think that his success in ODI cricket actually hampered his test game slightly. As he has played more and more long ODI innings he has started staying slightly leg side of the ball to open up the off side for those gorgeous cover and off drives. That's ok in white ball cricket but it will not work for long against attacks like India, NZ and England and he got found out.

But last night he looked more like the Shai Hope of 2016/17 who was getting right into line. Only a small sample though, will be interested to see how he goes and whether he keeps opening.