• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

will Anderson move into the test squad?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
hourn said:
I'm talking about a fair way down in the future - 5 or so years. Giles is 28 or 29, and i dont think he will be there in 5 years time.
I don't see why not - he'd still only be 33/34 then - hardly old!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I don't see why not - he'd still only be 33/34 then - hardly old!
Totally agree. Why the obsession with younger players? Yes, let's throw away all the experience in the side. Do you know the only thing that gives you?

A valid excuse for losing.

Should be good enough for the ECB?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm shocked by what I am seeing. Hussain is a fine player. and a great captain. Also, he's a pretty good fielder. Does it just take one bad series for an English player to be beheaded? England isn't the only team who missed out in the World Cup. Other talented teams such as Pakistan, West Indies did too. The there's the South Africans who are a very good team. The WC was disappointing...now get over it.

England are an improving side and, like the WI, they won't get everything right at once. It's not their time yet, but they are getting there. Don't go and make rash comments about dropping players because of one bad game. Yes, think about it...England only really played one bad game in the WC and it cost them. They were the only team to challenge Australia and were quite right not to go to Zimbabwe.

All I have to say to some people on the forum is "Grow Up!"

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Comin into the 2008 season, Giles will be 35. I really dont see what the point of keeping a very average spinner in the team till such an age.

You'd be much better developing someone he is younger, so that maybe they can develop into something.

If Giles was a great spinner, than yes, you'd want to keep him in the team as long as you can, but he is just a doorknob bowler - nothing special.

Mr Mxyzptlk

hourn said:
You'd be much better developing someone he is younger, so that maybe they can develop into something.
That's a big "maybe". Look at it this way, Giles is the best spinner in County Cricket right now and consequentially, England's best spin option. Until someone appears magically in CC who looks like they can develop into something special (useful even!) then why drop Giles.

Whilst looking to the future, England would hope to win a match or two. You can't just shove someone in there and hope that he develops, because development in cricket must start at a level below International.

In other words, what I'm saying is that Giles may not be a Murali, but he's the best England have right now and as such, he warrants selection as England's spinner.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Mr X,

I know that right now Giles is the best option.

What i'm talking about is 5 years down the track, when Giles is 35. Is there going to be much point playing him then??

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm shocked by what I am seeing. Hussain is a fine player. and a great captain. Also, he's a pretty good fielder. Does it just take one bad series for an English player to be beheaded? England isn't the only team who missed out in the World Cup. Other talented teams such as Pakistan, West Indies did too. The there's the South Africans who are a very good team. The WC was disappointing...now get over it.

England are an improving side and, like the WI, they won't get everything right at once. It's not their time yet, but they are getting there. Don't go and make rash comments about dropping players because of one bad game. Yes, think about it...England only really played one bad game in the WC and it cost them. They were the only team to challenge Australia and were quite right not to go to Zimbabwe.

The forum members aren't asking to drop him MR Mxyzptlk . It was Hussain himself who said that he is retiring from one dayers and said that Eng should build for 2007

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
hourn said:
Mr X,

I know that right now Giles is the best option.

What i'm talking about is 5 years down the track, when Giles is 35. Is there going to be much point playing him then??
If he continues to improve in International Cricket at the rate he has in the past 12 months or so, then yes there is.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
Comin into the 2008 season, Giles will be 35. I really dont see what the point of keeping a very average spinner in the team till such an age.
Yes and I've heard of spinners playing well past 35 and still performing just as well. Giles may not be the best spinner in the world but he's taken wickets against every nation he's faced and he does the job his side needs. Why drop him if he's doing nothing wrong? He keeps the runs down and takes useful wickets :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

vishnureddy said:
The forum members aren't asking to drop him MR Mxyzptlk . It was Hussain himself who said that he is retiring from one dayers and said that Eng should build for 2007
Nasser said he was retiring as ODI captain ....

Bazza

International 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Totally agree. Why the obsession with younger players? Yes, let's throw away all the experience in the side.
If you keep rebuilding, you never build anything.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Thanks for the support mate.

Nice to see people talking sense - very reassuring.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Hourn I know it's hard for you to understand when you've had Warne all these years, with MacGill as backup, and now when you need him Hogg has emerged.

The thing is England don't have any world-class spinners right now. I am personally still a fan of Robert Croft but wouldn't necessarily say he is any better than Giles, who does a job for us right now.

Blackwell has talent, and I wouldn't mind if England gave him a few chances, but would be surprised if they did. Dawson looks appaling right now and has alot of work to do if he wants to turn himself into something. Other than that there are not alot of young spinners putting their hands up I'm afraid. A couple of names spring to mind but we'll have to wait and see if they do anything in CC first.

Our best option right now is to go with Giles, do our best to develop him and then maybe in 2-3 years someone will come along with alot of talent and he will force his way in. If not, we are stuck with Giles but he's the best we've got so there's nothing we can do about it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:

The thing is England don't have any world-class spinners right now. I am personally still a fan of Robert Croft but wouldn't necessarily say he is any better than Giles, who does a job for us right now.
The thing being, Giles does it at home as well as away!

Actually Giles' Test record is not too bad in comparison with other spinners of recent times for England.

He gets more than 3 wickets a game on average and concedes only 2.5 an over.