• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why there is no Welsh national team?

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Apologize for the double post, but I was at work before so had just the time for that short answer

Paul Stirling
Will Porterfield
Ed Joyce
Tom Cooper
Eoin Morgan
Ryan ten Doeschate
Niall O'Brien +
James Harris
George Dockrell
Dirk Nannes
Boyd Rankin

Assuming everyone is available for selection.
I went in with an incredibly defensive side with only two real bowlers (and I thought about playing Murtagh for Rankin only to boost the batting) but this ain't bad either (In fact, It's probably a lot better). Ah, sidenote for anybody who's not seen the County thread, just today Kervezee retired from internationals. Money has its say again it seems (counties are not compensated when they lose these players for their international commitments)

But that's the thing, it may be good for them, but whilst that is good enough, the non-Test countries will never be good enough to step up.
Eh! How long has NZ waited for it's first test victory, 27 years? These things take time, as somebody else sung, or we'd have still only England and Australia playing for the ashes every two years and that'd be that (apart from the occasional series with SA).

Besides, I (egoistically) think that Ireland would do better as the main part of a 'Europe' team because long term is better to have 40% in a good business than 100% in an ordinary one. You got the lion share of revenues of an extremely extended fanbase; just look at how many people are following the Ryder while not even being interested in golf. And frankly speaking I think that India (to name one) would be much more interested to play a test series against E. than against Ireland, much better sellable and you reach a LOT more expats.

I have a vision.

In 30 years time, when Europe will dominate at every level with a decade at n.1 and consecutive world cup wins, the poms will come begging 'can we join?' but we'll pull a De Gaulle and say a firm 'No!', then still admit them a few years later. Then, in 50 years time, when the Europe Cricket team will be crumbling because of corruption and slow and excessive regulation in their selection and grassroot policy, with Germany (who decides now the price of tickets) filling in half of the XI and angry at the southern countries for wasting the revenue money on bonuses for administrators instead of using it for development, England* will say 'Ah, we never really wanted to be a part of it anyway' and will left us in the mud, and everybody will say that this is the end of the European Cricket project. But then again, a new prophet will come who, despite being unable to bat or bowl, will bring all the countries togheter, leading them again to conquer the world: his name will be Darren Sammy jr.

So say we all.

*and Wales

Last edited:

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I think that Wales/Cymru and Mannin (Isle of Man) should have their own national teams.

(I think that Mannin should become a 5th constituent nation of the UK.)

Last edited:

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Гурин;3052847 said:
Glamorgan is probably the biggest opponent of a Welsh team, they don't want to fall outside the ECB and their conspicuous subsidizing.

Apart from that, I used sometimes to refer to the ECB as EWCB and to their cricket team as either 'Wales' or 'England and Wales', but that was just for banter during games with english fans.

If anything, I'd love to see a 'Europe Lions' First Class XI, that could possibly draft also 2 or 3 uncapped englishmen. I wonder how the best from Ireland, the Netherlands, Scotland and Denmark (with the injection of a couple of solid county players) would fare against Bangladesh, New Zealand or Zimbabwe.
Oh? Is there such an injustice in Cricket?
By the way, if Wales were to have their national team, would Glamorgan's ground be their national stadium?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
By the way, Glamorgan's shirt has the "GLAMORGAN" logo on the chest. Glamorgan's official name is Glamorgan CCC. However, as far as I understand, there is no County Glamorgan. Cardiff is in West Glamorgan. Why do they not change the name?

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh? Is there such an injustice in Cricket?
By the way, if Wales were to have their national team, would Glamorgan's ground be their national stadium?
Yes but not Cardiff or Swansea. I would suggest Colwyn Bay cricket club, Penrhyn Avenue, Rhos-on-sea. Get 50 fans in there and Wales have got themselves a sell out.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Manchester's not in Lancashire, Yorkshire is at least four if not more counties, Birmingham is not in Warwickshire, and Bristol isn't in Gloucs. Middlesex doesn't exist in any significant context outside cricket.

There are probably more but it's 2.30 and I cbf to go into further depth. County Boards operate on a completely different set of geographical rules to administrative and legislative counties. The ceremonial counties of the 19th century are your best guide to history.

Oh, and Glamorgan doesn't exist at Welsh regional level. You have Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Gwent, NE Wales, Eryri, Mid Wales and the three Glamorgans. Plus a "national" side that wins more junior competitions than you'd imagine it would.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket in Denmark? I have never heard of that. Are they strong? Is their national team shirt available?
I was pretty surprised to see the other day that the '89 tour of England ended with a couple of 40-over matches against the Danes in Denmark.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
I was wondering the same back then. But I doubt today a Welsh team could manage on its own considering the financial aspects of it. No way teams like India would waste their time supporting and playing Wales.

Technically if Glamorgan were finished then who would be the 18th county team then?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I was wondering the same back then. But I doubt today a Welsh team could manage on its own considering the financial aspects of it. No way teams like India would waste their time supporting and playing Wales.

Technically if Glamorgan were finished then who would be the 18th county team then?
I believe that a Welsh team will clearly be stronger than Scotland, after seeing The Grange in Edinburgh and the pic of Glamorgan's stadium.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Let's face it anyone who represented Wales or Scotland with any real distinction would only come running to England given the merest hint of a chance. Irish players have already proved it, do you think Tim Murtagh, for example, would turn down the chance to play for England?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Let's face it anyone who represented Wales or Scotland with any real distinction would only come running to England given the merest hint of a chance. Irish players have already proved it, do you think Tim Murtagh, for example, would turn down the chance to play for England?
I think that there are many Welsh patriots who want to play for their country. C. W. Nicol in Japan is very proud of his Welsh origin.
As for the Ashes, the teams can be changed in the way of Rugby--British-Irish Lions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think that there are many Welsh patriots who want to play for their country. C. W. Nicol in Japan is very proud of his Welsh origin.
As for the Ashes, the teams can be changed in the way of Rugby--British-Irish Lions.
There are many passionate Irishmen as well but at the end of the day, like Ireland, Wales would not be able to financially support any player good enough to in go further than the lower level of cricket that Wales would be stuck at. Ireland as a cricketing nation would be miles ahead of Wales or Scotland, but they can't even get close to doing it.