• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why there is no Welsh national team?

ganeshran

International Debutant
Гурин;3053438 said:
A pity that Morgan and Nannes would not be available anymore. Oh, and Phil Hughes :) If we also add players with a double passport (I'm sure you'll find plenty in Oz, SA and England), we might have a pretty good side available.
Nannes represented Netherlands, not Ireland IIRC

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Гурин;3053438 said:
I'm not that sure. The Irish have a decent team even by themselves, add ten Doeschate, Borren and Kervezee to the mix, I'm pretty sure that in a short time they'd be no pushovers
Adding 3 "mediocre by county standards" batsmen in will not make them competitive. ten Doeschate in particular is incredibly over-rated IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Adding 3 "mediocre by county standards" batsmen in will not make them competitive. ten Doeschate in particular is incredibly over-rated IMO.
Not convinced Borren and Kervezee would even make their side at full strength, especially if as suggested Morgan was somehow "given back". Even if they would, they'd not be a significant upgrade on what they've got by any stretch of the imagination.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, your respectable opinion.

Anybody up for this 'best European XI'? Can add up to thee bonus uncapped English players to plug holes (the less the better). I admit that I'm no expert, so I'll have to think a bit for mine before I post it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you combined Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands you'd end up with a team with tremendous depth in almost-but-not-quite standard players but one that was barely better than Ireland themselves. Having 25 players of that standard isn't really an improvement on having 11; what you'd need for it to work would be each team having a couple of Test standard 'stars' and they frankly don't.

Last edited:

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you combined Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands you'd end up with a team with tremendous depth in almost-but-not-quite standard players but one that was barely better than Ireland themselves. Having 25 players of that standard isn't really an improvement on having 11; what you'd need for it to work would be each team having a couple of Test standard 'stars' and they frankly don't.
Look, this ain't really serious, was more of a 'Ryder Cup' (or West Indies) kind of idea to pass time during the present drought of games.

But if I was serious about it, I'd say that a few test matches against not so strong opposition would be exactly what'd be needed to separate the good from the mediocre in that team. It's true, right now would be quite difficult to separate them; a home series against Bangladesh and a tour to Zimbabwe later we might know better, I think.

And a limited exposure to slightly better opposition would probably help their development, there's a reason (apart form lack of professionalism at the lower levels) if so many of them are stuck in mediocrity (also, I'm talking about the incentive to the game in the grassroots that would be to have the chance to play at the maximum level; I personally know people who were turned apathetic towards the game because of lack of improving chances. Not everybody can/want to go to England, you know).

And then, this is something you aussies might not know, but it's painful to follow a sport based on nationalities where you don't have somebody representing your flag. Having a team without stars that loses almost every test match would still be incredibly enjoyable.

PS I found out that there's also Tom Cooper from NSW playing for the Netherlands. Is he also in the 'average player' brigade? His numbers look good.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Гурин;3053455 said:
PS I found out that there's also Tom Cooper from NSW playing for the Netherlands. Is he also in the 'average player' brigade? His numbers look good.
Average of 33 isn't what I'd call good?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tom Cooper's got the natural ability and technique to play Test cricket for Australia let alone this imaginary side but he inexplicably always finds really soft ways to get himself out. Found himself dropped from the South Australia side at times last season and as a batsman that is the ultimate shame.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Average of 33 isn't what I'd call good?
You got to put things in perspective. For a 23 years old who plays for Denmark (or any non-Test country) that is good. He's also dominating at their level, average of more than 50 in ODIs.

Tom Cooper's got the natural ability and technique to play Test cricket for Australia let alone this imaginary side but he inexplicably always finds really soft ways to get himself out. Found himself dropped from the South Australia side at times last season and as a batsman that is the ultimate shame.
Very interesting, thanks. Given that he's still relatively young, I think that there might still be some hope.

Ah, my random XI:

Alexei Kervezee (NED)
Kyle Coetzer (SCO)
William Porterfield (IRE)
Ed Joyce (IRE)
Tom Cooper (NED)
Kevin O'Brien (IRE) -only for THAT game-.
Ryan ten Doeschate (NED)
Niall O'Brien + (IRE)
Andrew White (IRE)
George Dockrell (IRE)
Boyd Rankin (IRE)
-
12th Man - Frederik Klokker (DEN)

True, Ireland might do without the other 4, but whatever, we need to expand the fanbase.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Гурин;3053465 said:
You got to put things in perspective. For a 23 years old who plays for Denmark (or any non-Test country) that is good. He's also dominating at their level, average of more than 50 in ODIs.
But that's the thing, it may be good for them, but whilst that is good enough, the non-Test countries will never be good enough to step up.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Гурин;3053465 said:
Alexei Kervezee (NED)
Kyle Coetzer (SCO)
William Porterfield (IRE)
Ed Joyce (IRE)
Tom Cooper (NED)
Kevin O'Brien (IRE) -only for THAT game-.
Ryan ten Doeschate (NED)
Niall O'Brien + (IRE)
Andrew White (IRE)
George Dockrell (IRE)
Boyd Rankin (IRE)
Paul Stirling
Will Porterfield
Ed Joyce
Tom Cooper
Eoin Morgan
Ryan ten Doeschate
Niall O'Brien +
James Harris
George Dockrell
Dirk Nannes
Boyd Rankin

Assuming everyone is available for selection.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Гурин;3053455 said:
Having a team without stars that loses almost every test match would still be incredibly enjoyable.
Being a Black Caps supporter i can tell you that this is definitely not true

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo running with CW-isms again, I see.

ESPNCricinfo Twiter said:
Tim Wigmore's Countyscape picks out the main issues in the opening week of England's (and Wales') county season

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The answer is because England like to have as many people not from England in there team. How can anyone support England when about half the squads not born on these shores?

Flem274*

123/5
Гурин;3053455 said:
it's painful to follow a sport based on nationalities where you don't have somebody representing your flag. Having a team without stars that loses almost every test match would still be incredibly enjoyable.
Spot who has never done it.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Spot who has never done it.
Dude, I was a rugby player. Ever heard of the Six Nations? We got mauled for years on the trot, but now rugby union is the second most popoular sport in the country (according to youth rugby memberships)

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about