• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is pakistani bowling the most innovative in modern times?

Flem274*

123/5
does it need to be? their home/neutral games support spin and sometimes accurate pace since forever, and they're pretty good at knocking sides over at home and leg breaks plus pace/swing work elsewhere so there's no real need for their bowling to reinvent the wheel to succeed.

they just need to keep their bowlers in the team without bans/injuries/changing their minds at random. it's the top 3 and their catching that hold the side back from rising above current mid-table anyways. Shaheen, Hasan Ali, Abbas and Yasir are all pretty good bowlers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say Sri Lanka's is/was. Murali, Mendis, and Malinga are all prime examples and they still produce mystery spinners.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They play a lot of tape ball cricket over there. Have seen it mentioned in many different places as the reason why they have had the fast bowling culture and innovations like reverse swing are ultimately a "gotta find a way" reaction given the pitches and conditions, I think.

And I am not sure there have been many other innovations from Pak other than doosra and reverse swing. The cross seam and other subtler inventions (like the Indian spinners trying to land the ball on the leather than the seam) seem to be happening elsewhere.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
both reverse swing and doosra either require or are greatly enhanced by cheating

Aus are the real innovators no else thought to use sandpaper

Flem274*

123/5
Sky UK had a nice bit on what NZ call the three quarter ball and England the wobble seam ball and how it's wrecking left handers. Whoever was first out of Southee and Broad to use it is pretty influential in modern cricket. Dunno when Southee put away the off cutter for the three quarter. When did Broad start coming around the wicket to Warner?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shoiab is great. Spam brigade can get rekt.
Oh I rate Shoaib, but I don't quite consider he had the staying power to be considered truly great. Asif was quality but had other aims in the game, and Saqlain and Yasir have done decently for spinners in the modern era. The supporting cast has been an unending parade of trash though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It must be because they are not most professional. So they have to rely on their raw talent, passion and innovation. In a way professionalism may kill innovation (bum on couch philosophy there but whatever)

TheJediBrah

Sky UK had a nice bit on what NZ call the three quarter ball and England the wobble seam ball and how it's wrecking left handers. Whoever was first out of Southee and Broad to use it is pretty influential in modern cricket. Dunno when Southee put away the off cutter for the three quarter. When did Broad start coming around the wicket to Warner?
Wobble seam a new invention? Really?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moving the ball off the pitch is 'innovative' apparently.

I always find it funny that it's supposedly a Pakistan thing too, like Ambrose and Walsh didn't use a similar seam position through their whole careers.

Flem274*

123/5
no, but the effect to left handers appears to be more pronounced than ever. it used to be conventional wisdom that going around to lefties was doomed to fail. i remember it becoming more frequent in the 00s and commentators getting on the soapbox about it.

TheJediBrah

no, but the effect to left handers appears to be more pronounced than ever. it used to be conventional wisdom that going around to lefties was doomed to fail. i remember it becoming more frequent in the 00s and commentators getting on the soapbox about it.
And before that it used to be conventional wisdom that going around the wicket to lefties was the thing to do. Using wobble seam for unpredictable variations off the pitch would have been around since before my grandfather was born

Sure maybe a few more bowlers are doing it more that they were in the previous decade but in no universe is it a new invention

Flem274*

123/5
And before that it used to be conventional wisdom that going around the wicket to lefties was the thing to do. Using wobble seam for unpredictable variations off the pitch would have been around since before my grandfather was born

Sure maybe a few more bowlers are doing it more that they were in the previous decade but in no universe is it a new invention
so once again we have to conclude conventional wisdom is a euphemism for people slow to accept change

TheJediBrah

so once again we have to conclude conventional wisdom is a euphemism for people slow to accept change
I look at it more as ebbs and flows. Things go in and out of style and whenever they come back into fashion the current generation thinks they invented it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Four ATG pacers in Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Asif.
Two very good spinners in Saqlain, Mushtaq and Yasir
Aaqib Javed, Shoaib, Aamir, Razzaq all are decent
Kaneria and Rehman had their moments.

I'd say a healthy bowling pedigree. If Pakistani batsmen were bit supportive and fielding was not Meh then would have been a very strong bowling side for a long time.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Natural variation via wobble is a bit of a Hail Mary isn't it? Useful asset but not sure if credit redounds entirely to the bowler. Also seems to have messed with conventional release in the case of someone like Siraj.

Slifer

International Captain
Four ATG pacers in Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Asif.
Two very good spinners in Saqlain, Mushtaq and Yasir
Aaqib Javed, Shoaib, Aamir, Razzaq all are decent
Kaneria and Rehman had their moments.

I'd say a healthy bowling pedigree. If Pakistani batsmen were bit supportive and fielding was not Meh then would have been a very strong bowling side for a long time.
No.