• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is everyone so against 20/20?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah and Twenty20 is already having a similar effect with batsmen are learning the hit out for longer period, resulting in more scores of over 350 and a couple scores of over 400.
Do you think thats why the more traditional cricket fans may be opposed to the evils of the shorter versions of the game? Particularily this whack fest?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Do you think thats why the more traditional cricket fans may be opposed to the evils of the shorter versions of the game? Particularily this whack fest?
Yeah probably, but really ODIs these days are as much as whack fest as Twenty20. There are the odd Twenty20 match which are low scoring when they are played on more bowler friendly pitches, just like in ODIs. But in general most matches in both forms are just whack fest on roads. I can't understand why people are happy to watch a whack fest for 100 overs over one for just 40 overs. I know which one i find more boring.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I actually don't mind it. Wouldn't take it over tests or ODI's, obviously, but it's got some sort of worth.

It's bloody cracking to play though. Excellent fun, especially if you've had 3 or 4 beers. No fear.

pasag

RTDAS
Shaggy Alfresco said:
Why is everyone so against Scaly piscine?
i dont know much about him but im just wondering why so many people on this webside hate Scaly piscine?
Probably has something to do with the condescending and patronising bull**** he produces on regular occasions such as this:

Most of the haters are from Australia or NZ, the countries that have the least exposure to Twenty20.

In general terms:

They basically don't know what they're talking about and reinforce each others bulldust - it's like a vicious circle of brainwashing where they're not independent or bright enough to judge the format for themselves properly. It's a human nature thing unfortunately and has led to events in the past when obviously evil ideas from a leader of a country were backed by a high proportion of the population. The arguments don't stem from logic or common sense, just hatred and propaganda. Twenty20 hatred is similar to that - tho the original hatred comes from the human nature dislike of change or progress.

The hatred will pass eventually.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a fan of the format & have been since its first season over here, after my initial scepticism.

The arguments for & against have been fairly outlined by Matt79 & others already so I see no point in going over them again. What does surprise me tho is that there's seemingly been so little ground conceded by those who prefer ODIs after a world cup which was, by general constent, on the dire side of average.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What does surprise me tho is that there's seemingly been so little ground conceded by those who prefer ODIs after a world cup which was, by general constent, on the dire side of average.
I think the absolute direness of the ICC and the way which the whole thing was staged made the cricket seem a bit second rate.. There were some very good moments, I didn't have a problem with any of the events on the pitch..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm a fan of the format & have been since its first season over here, after my initial scepticism.

The arguments for & against have been fairly outlined by Matt79 & others already so I see no point in going over them again. What does surprise me tho is that there's seemingly been so little ground conceded by those who prefer ODIs after a world cup which was, by general constent, on the dire side of average.
A poor World Cup won't stop me enjoying good ODIs.

And there's always the hope that some time we might start getting decent Cups again.

pasag

RTDAS
Tbh, and this might come off as abit strange, the main reason I dislike Twenty20s is really the same reason I love cricket and got into it in the first place - the fact that it is played over an entire (so to speak) day. Whether it be Tests or ODIs, you spend an entire day watching and at the end of it, as a youngster and even today, it was always quite satisfying. It was what separated cricket from every other sport, the fact that you could spend an entire day watching it. And still even after I've developed a greater understanding about the game itself, its history and all its beautiful little wonders, still, my favourite thing about cricket is the length. And that's primarily the reason I hate Twenty20s and also the fear I have that twenty20s will take over and become more common place. I am quite scared of that tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not liking Twenty20 doesn't necessarily mean preferring ODIs.
Yeah, fair enough, it is a bit of a false opposition. I actually have more sympathy with those who dislike all shortened forms of the game.

I think the absolute direness of the ICC and the way which the whole thing was staged made the cricket seem a bit second rate.. There were some very good moments, I didn't have a problem with any of the events on the pitch..
Really? Thought it was, for the most part, fairly ordinary stuff. There were some decent close contests, but (Oz aside) most teams weren't really too flash skill-wise IMHO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Most of the haters are from Australia or NZ, the countries that have the least exposure to Twenty20.

In general terms:

They basically don't know what they're talking about and reinforce each others bulldust - it's like a vicious circle of brainwashing where they're not independent or bright enough to judge the format for themselves properly. It's a human nature thing unfortunately and has led to events in the past when obviously evil ideas from a leader of a country were backed by a high proportion of the population. The arguments don't stem from logic or common sense, just hatred and propaganda. Twenty20 hatred is similar to that - tho the original hatred comes from the human nature dislike of change or progress.

The hatred will pass eventually.
Pretty sure Australia have had more exposure to 20/20 than India, Pakistan and SL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Really? Thought it was, for the most part, fairly ordinary stuff. There were some decent close contests, but (Oz aside) most teams weren't really too flash skill-wise IMHO.
Surely the nature of international cricket as a whole is the bigger issue with regards to the WC flop, rather than the format of ODI cricket.

There have been crap WCs before, and there will probably be again. In between though there will be excellent ODI series such as SA vs. Aus 2006 (not just the 434 chase alone if anyone is suggesting that, the whole series was entertaining IMO), End of the CB Series, Pak vs. Ind 2004 and 2005, Ind vs. SA 2005/06. There will also be absolute crap ones such as SA vs. Ind 2006, SA vs. Pak 2006/07 etc.

Surely the nature of the sport at the minute is more the worry?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure Australia have had more exposure to 20/20 than India, Pakistan and SL.
Sri Lanka and Pakistan have had the more of exposure at domestic level. Not many Internationals at home though. India i don't think even have a domestic competition (well not one i know off).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surely the nature of international cricket as a whole is the bigger issue with regards to the WC flop, rather than the format of ODI cricket.

There have been crap WCs before, and there will probably be again. In between though there will be excellent ODI series such as SA vs. Aus 2006 (not just the 434 chase alone if anyone is suggesting that, the whole series was entertaining IMO), End of the CB Series, Pak vs. Ind 2004 and 2005, Ind vs. SA 2005/06. There will also be absolute crap ones such as SA vs. Ind 2006, SA vs. Pak 2006/07 etc.

It's both, for me. Obviously the length of the tournament was a big issue (I don't think the format was too terrible per se, just dragged out for too long) &, for me at least, too many teams played formulaic cricket (England possibly the worst offenders) which I've always thought ODIs encourage. Particularly the non-pp, non-slog overs.

Coupled with the abject displays from supposedly world class players (Flintoff batting, Ntini bowling, Smith when the ball moved an inch off the straight) it made for fairly ordinary fayre.

&, it's subjective obv, but can't remember a WC as crap as this one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Jono has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth.

I'd add one thing:
The Poor World Cups:
The Good World Cups

Seems to me a World Cup is far from a gurantee of fascinating stuff... which is a shame, but a reality nonetheless.