• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Australia Only Playing 5 Tests this Summer?

Flem274*

123/5
bracwell bowled the best areas for nz all tour, we were that bad...

we finally remembered wagner existed in the final test of the return series. he took 7 wickets in an innings bowling bouncers.

it's good to have ferguson, and maybe an in form henry, floating around to remind any stragglers if they suck they're out. i don't think gary stead and gavin larsen are that ruthless though unless they're dropping wagner.

Howsie

International Captain
You can't play Tim Southee in Australia, waste of time. Boult, Ferguson and maybe Wagner, I want to see how he looks against England first.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Seeing Smith playing around a 128kmph ball that deviates .5cm trapping him LBW is going to be delicious

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For NZ I'd worry about an attack of Ferguson and Wagner (who's no spring chicken anymore) potentially being expensive but I have no faith at all in Southee in Australian conditions and wouldn't play him, which means he'll probably clean up at some point.

the big bambino

International Captain
Wagner's age is only a concern because of the length he bowls. I imagine it ages a bowler more than someone who bowls more traditional lengths. So I'd start with him and if he doesn't work go for someone else, like Henry maybe, and by pass Southee altogether. Boult and Ferguson are locks for mine.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wagner will be steaming in and trying to intimidate the opposition when he's got a zimmer frame and false teeth. He'll be fine.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Pretty keen to see a bowling attack of Ferguson, Boult, Wagner and Patel tbh.
Exactly what I'd like to see.
I have a really bad suspicion that they will pick santner though.. again, and he will be crap as usual with both ball and bat (despite being a tailender- people keep saying hes a test allrounder). Then some aussie commentator will say"Santner looks talented" (just like 8 years ago :/) . and his nothing test career will keep continuing while we leave a class player like Ajaz behind.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
We should just pick Ajaz for Smith's supposed weakness against SLA Orthodox. Santner not gonna be any good in Aus this time round imo. Plus don't mind CdG batting at 7 for some epic 125 km line and length bowling.

Flem274*

123/5
i'd go with horses for courses and take somerville tbh. he gets bounce from his height and is more lyon-ish than ajaz. ajaz is perfect for the subcontinent where he can jadeja it up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
You can't play Tim Southee in Australia, waste of time. Boult, Ferguson and maybe Wagner, I want to see how he looks against England first.
I too want to see how Wagner goes this season. There's the lingering feeling that sooner or later he'll get too old for his line of attack, but at the same time the more people say that the more he gets: