• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Australia Only Playing 5 Tests this Summer?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Five tests makes it strategic to gain the most points in the ICC Test Championship?
Eh, winning 2-0 against Pak is easier than winning 3-0 against Pak, but on the other hand if a game is rained out or a massive road, 1-0 from two Tests gets less points than 2-0 from three Tests. There's also now slightly more chance of them losing/drawing the series.

Playing four and five Test series against teams you're expected to smash isn't tactically the best idea, but I don't think two Test series are really tactically superior to three Test series unless they really suck.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It absolutely shouldn't, but it would surprise me at all if that was factored in to their thinking
I don't really mind if it contributed just as much as what NZ viewers would think of it, assuming there'd be the equal or more Indian viewers as NZ viewers even though it's NZ playing.

It's not good for Australian viewers either though, other than perhaps Perth ones.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the NZ series is going to be a great contest tbh. Their best chance to win here in decades. Expecting Williamson to have a great series again. Bloke is class.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the NZ series is going to be a great contest tbh. Their best chance to win here in decades. Expecting Williamson to have a great series again. Bloke is class.
I think I rated their chances more last time, but their bowlers being such flops last time is part of the reason I'm slightly sceptical this time. Their batting is probably better than Australia's now though, even in Australian conditions. I fully expect them to score less runs because of who they're facing but it really evens it up.

Overall though I agree that it could be a good series. You can't have India or South Africa tour every year and with that one exception in 2011-12 every other team has just got smashed. Having the #2 Test team tour, especially when their conditions are vaguely similar to your own, shouldn't illicit such cries of "boo **** summer" as it has, whether or not they get smashed. Non-RSA(and to a lesser extent India, and an even lesser extent England) teams get smashed every ****ing year.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wait, people are worried Oz-NZ is not going to be a good test series? That's bonkers. Am really looking forward to it. Bet the NZ bowlers do better this time.

Burgey

This is all true. I do fancy Boult to do some damage under lights though. What chance Ferguson getting a game in the tests for the Kiwis? His extra pace would be handy on the flat decks back east imho

vcs

The Adelaide Test was good even last time and the Perth one also had its moments with Starc bowling really quick and Williamson and Taylor batting well. The return series in NZ was more of a disappointment.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably because of the T20 "World Cup" being hosted

In 2015 when Aus hosted the ODI World Cup they only played 4 Tests in the summer
I think it's still more or less the reason. There are more T20s scheduled this season to prepare for that, so trying to squeeze six Tests in would've been hard. Pakistan not exactly covering themselves in glory on the last few tours probably contributed as well.
It's not just this summer though. It's every summer from now till the end the scheduled tours program, and probably permanently.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Because Australia chasing cash by playing 3 meaningless ODI's in India Jan 14-19 in the middle of our test summer?

Should have given Pak or NZ an extra test.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think I rated their chances more last time, but their bowlers being such flops last time is part of the reason I'm slightly sceptical this time. Their batting is probably better than Australia's now though, even in Australian conditions. I fully expect them to score less runs because of who they're facing but it really evens it up.

Overall though I agree that it could be a good series. You can't have India or South Africa tour every year and with that one exception in 2011-12 every other team has just got smashed. Having the #2 Test team tour, especially when their conditions are vaguely similar to your own, shouldn't illicit such cries of "boo **** summer" as it has, whether or not they get smashed. Non-RSA(and to a lesser extent India, and an even lesser extent England) teams get smashed every ****ing year.
I feel the presence of Smith just fundamentally breaks any considerations like this, in that he's so much better than everyone else that he sort of skews normal analysis of the quality of a batting unit.

Flem274*

123/5
after the 2015 bowling meltdown i have zero expectations

the batting went about as expected last time, with some good scores and some meh scores, but the bowling was disgusting. i'm happy to lose to the better side but please bowl on one side of the pitch at the very least.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
5 Tests in an Oz summer when two Teams are touring isn't unprecedented. Happened in 04/05 & 08/09. And going way back to 87/88, despite 3 touring teams playing Tests that summer only 5 Tests were played.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant

I think you're underrating Oz batting in home conditions. Not only Smith but Warner & Khawaja (if he's picked) are home-track bullies and there's enough in the rest of the batting for them still to be very formidable.

the big bambino

International Captain
I dunno. I'm a bit wary of Pakistan. they have that written off team scores major upset feel about them. Especially if Abbas hoops it around under lights. NZ's bowling is better this time around even if its the same personnel. Boult looks fitter this time. Only one of Southee and Wagner should play with Ferguson debuting for mine. If Ferguson isn't picked then NZ cricket - boy you dumb.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I am really looking forward to this season. I am between jobs and am not going to look for one until the summer is done. It would have been nice to squeeze in 6 tests but I'm glad to see New Zealand get the three tests. Should be great as long as none of them do a Hadlee 80's trick on us.