• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do you love the game?

Why do you love the game?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
T12 ? Ugh
Honestly, we can't do much more in 2 hours.... :)

And we have to see first of all how many of our guys can actually last even 12 overs... esp. in the field!!!!! Us software pros tend to be rather athletically impaired..... :)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Because it's so relaxing.. Nothing beats sitting on a grass bank on a sunny day watching the final session of a days play as the shadows lengthen.. Cricket is an escape, doesn't matter what standard you are playing or watching.. From a playing point of view, it is still for the large part a gentleman's game, and the carmeradery and friendships you make through the game are fantastic.. Nothing beats English village cricket from the whole social package point of view.. Unfortunatly my interest in professional cricket is diminishing rapidly as other forms of the game find their way into the mainstream, but I'm sure I'll continue to play even if I give up supporting..
I don't agree with that. I can't watch village green cricket. Someone who mistakenly thinks they're bowling fast runs in from about 30 yards with no rhythm, practically stops upon reaching the crease and slings the ball down about 5 yards short of a length with no pace or accuracy. My auntie could do something similar off two paces.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought so.

Thats not falling in love my dear. You truly fall in love only once in your life time (if at all) and you never 'fall out of it" again.

This is the shortfall of the English language where the word love is used to express a lots of emotions 'from loving your job or house' at one end to 'falling in love' at the other. Its the 'falling' that is the difference.

In Urdu/Hindustani their are three words for love where English has only one. 'Pyaar', 'Mohabbat' and 'Ishq'. Its the last one which is true falling in love. It happens only once. The target could be an individual or God.

and you never love another again, :)

Too much you think? Ignore it. :)
Heh, think it's very much possible to fall out of love TBH. Painfully so, of times.

Won't pursue the matter however. :)

stumpski

International Captain
Good to see Fiery running away with this one. :laugh:

Some of us still chat to him almost every day, y'know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think there's another example of why today. At the dawn of this morn, I had the chance to watch two teams chase down stiff but very-possible targets for potentially one excellent and one very, very famous win.

Whether either team will do so remains to be seen, but it'd be truly superb to see both do so.

cnerd123

likes this
This was a good thread

I agree with what Jono said - that a person's love for a sport or activity is always expressed as a love for the nuances and it's history. Cricket may not be unique in its intricacies and lore, despite fans claiming otherwise.

I agree with the general concept in this thread that you love something because it brought you joy at an impressionable time in your life, and as you grow you seek to reclaim those feelings through it.

But I do feel cricket is weirdly unique in many ways. One game lasts 5 days, yet can turn in just 20 minutes of play. It's a team sport, yet built almost entirely on one on one battles. It's less reliant on physical gifts than most other major sports, and relies a lot more heavily on intelligence and technique. It's got the most complicated ruleset of any sport I've ever come across, yet at its core is simply about hitting a ball with a bat. It's one of the few sports that comes in numerous different formats played by the same group of athletes at the professional level, and it's the only sport that lets you absorb the action at such a slow pace, allowing for such detailed analysis. And there are a ton of stats and variables to analyse. There is also no impossible outcome in a game, just extremely improbable ones. I think all these reasons alone make it the best sport on Earth, even if I try to take my deep rooted sentiment for it out of the equation.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Thank **** I didn't post in this thread back in 2008. Would be straight to the top of the 'lies' list (and probably incomprehensible too, knowing past me).

Cricket ****ing sucks.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was a good thread

I agree with what Jono said - that a person's love for a sport or activity is always expressed as a love for the nuances and it's history. Cricket may not be unique in its intricacies and lore, despite fans claiming otherwise.

I agree with the general concept in this thread that you love something because it brought you joy at an impressionable time in your life, and as you grow you seek to reclaim those feelings through it.

But I do feel cricket is weirdly unique in many ways. One game lasts 5 days, yet can turn in just 20 minutes of play. It's a team sport, yet built almost entirely on one on one battles. It's less reliant on physical gifts than most other major sports, and relies a lot more heavily on intelligence and technique. It's got the most complicated ruleset of any sport I've ever come across, yet at its core is simply about hitting a ball with a bat. It's one of the few sports that comes in numerous different formats played by the same group of athletes at the professional level, and it's the only sport that lets you absorb the action at such a slow pace, allowing for such detailed analysis. And there are a ton of stats and variables to analyse. There is also no impossible outcome in a game, just extremely improbable ones. I think all these reasons alone make it the best sport on Earth, even if I try to take my deep rooted sentiment for it out of the equation.
Can't help but love a sport that finds a place even for the practitioners of the lowly art of finger spin.

Seriously though, this post deserves a lot of love. Quality. Almost exactly what I wanted to say.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure why. I mean no one in my family likes cricket at all, in fact after 9 news during a Perth Test it is a race to change the channel straight away so how I suddenly came to love it, is weird.

I guess I knew a lot of people who did like cricket and it got me started, and that a lot of people kept making references from my surname to a certain West Indian fast bowler who took 519 Test wickets so I was forced to learn about to have an idea what they are talking about. Started in 95/96, was a bit casual until until the 1999 WC and have been hooked since.

Of course I love the tatical side of things, when I'm watching and a team is on top I just can't help to think what I would do if I were the opposing captain and some of the feats that have happened over the years have astounded me. And then there are people like Steve Waugh who changed how I think from watching him play and reading his books.
Craigos :(

Kirkut

International Regular
Don't love it anymore, won the World Cup in 2011 and won a test series in Australia in 2018. I've achieved moksha from cricket.