• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why did Shane Warne struggle so much against India

Sunil1z

International Regular
Leg spinners have rarely succeeded against India . Only one I can think of is Benaud ?

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
1678479968159.png
The late, great Aussie leg-spinner Shane Warne was frequently left frustrated during Test matches in India. Pic: Getty

Tailoring pitches to nullify opposition bowlers is nothing new in India. Veteran Chennai groundsman K Parthasarathy admitted he played a role in ensuring Shane Warne would not be as effective as usual in the opening Test of the 1998 series.

The world's best leg spinner finished with 1-122 in the second innings as Sachin Tendulkar smashed an unbeaten 155 to steer his side to a 179-run win. India went on to win the series 2-1.

“I kept the square patches outside the leg stump, on either side of the wicket, really hard," Parthasarathy later explained. "It was difficult to get turn from that part as there would be no rough there. After that game, Warne came to me and asked why he wasn’t getting the turn and others were.

"I told him it was because of his dodgy shoulder, that was to be operated on later in the series."

shortpitched713

International Captain
Something something sample size maybe?

I dunno, I think a lot is sometimes made out of this stuff. For whatever reason he found it tough, and the Indian batting lineup was probably about the toughest players of spin you could find in the world. Ultimately I think he could have figured it out given more series there, but it doesn't really matter too much given how well he did basically everywhere else.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Warne said in his biography that his shoulder injury was really affecting him in the 2001 series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just faced a lineup that was basically ATG against his type of bowling in their home conditions, combined with an era of pitches that were relatively flat [compared to the last few years]. Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, Laxman etc....

subshakerz

International Coach
Combo of factors.

They were really good at playing.

His first series in India he lacked any bowling support.

Injuries meant he wasn't at full effectiveness.

Even when he was fully fit in 2004 he couldn't average less than 30.against them.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Palpably not the same bowler that he was from 93-96. Lost his crazy drift and dip, lost the flipper. Broken toenail, bum shoulder, some ATG players of spin, all contributed. He was still bullying other sides more or less though, so you just have to assume the Indians had his number.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah, in the 97 series, he wasn't drifting the ball much at all, his delivery overall was pretty flat from what I remember. Of course that could be because he was getting hammered.

One problem is that he had an open action, making him very easy to read for good players of spin. Unless he had his drift and enough overt spin, he could be negotiated much easier as he lacked variation.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah, in the 97 series, he wasn't drifting the ball much at all, his delivery overall was pretty flat from what I remember. Of course that could be because he was getting hammered.

One problem is that he had an open action, making him very easy to read for good players of spin. Unless he had his drift and enough overt spin, he could be negotiated much easier as he lacked variation.
His action from the early years was different too. He had a far more angled approach to the crease, a longer leap that almost cut across the return crease or at least that's my recollection. And a more round-arm delivery too.

subshakerz

International Coach
His action from the early years was different too. He had a far more angled approach to the crease, a longer leap that almost cut across the return crease or at least that's my recollection. And a more round-arm delivery too.
Yeah and that was what made his flipper more deadly too.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Something something sample size maybe?

I dunno, I think a lot is sometimes made out of this stuff. For whatever reason he found it tough, and the Indian batting lineup was probably about the toughest players of spin you could find in the world. Ultimately I think he could have figured it out given more series there, but it doesn't really matter too much given how well he did basically everywhere else.
I am very conscious of "noise in stats" phenomenon generally. But in case of Warne his struggles were very systematic in all conditions and all formats. Haven't opened that article about doctored pitches but he couldn't do well against India even on neutral grounds. In 1999 world cup even lesser Jadeja and Robin Singh tonked him for fun. He was supposed to be in form of his life. Got hit on Sharjaha wickets too. Indians just played spin very very well, especially leg spin.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Murali only struggled in India. At home he was all over thatfamed batting line up.
7 fivers and 2 ten fers in tests, 1 fiver in ODIs. 2 player of the match awards in tests and 2 in ODIs. Warne has 1 expensive fiver in tests, draws a blank in all other columns.

I'd never say Murali struggled against India. For Indian fans who followed their games against India with some emotional stake, it was always obvious that Murali was at least a moderate threat, Warne was none at all.