• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your top 10 greatest Asian cricketers?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And I may just mention you that bowers has a fixed quota of deliveries while batsman has none. and Batsman's average is runs per dismissal, which includes runout and other odd ways of getting out. For a given period, batting average is not euql to bowling average when you consider all the batsmen and bowlers.
So what? We are not comparing a batsman to a bowler here. All I am saying is that batting average plays the same role while comparing two batsmen as bowling average does while comparing two bowlers. Similarly in ODIs, batting SR plays the same role while comparing two batsmen as ER does while comparing two bowlers.

Of course, you might need to adjust for the factors you mentioned while you compare a batsman to a bowler, which isn't the case here.

smash84

The Tiger King
Comparing Waqar's ER vs Kapil's by just numbers is not correct. Actutally should see how they did according to the era.

Kapil Dev (01-10-1978 to 14-10-1994) - Avg - 27.45, ER - 3.71, SR - 44.2
Rest of the world (01-10-1978 to 14-10-1994) - Avg - 31.12, ER - 4.14, SR - 45.0

Kapil vs ROW: Avg: 1.13, ER - 1.12, SR - 1.02

Waqar Younis (14-10-1989 to 04-03-2003): Avg - 23.84, ER - 4.68, SR - 30.5
ROW (14-10-1989 to 04-03-2003): Avg - 32.41, ER - 4.49, SR - 43.2

Waqar vs ROW: Avg - 1.36, ER - 0.96, SR - 1.41

This shows Waqar was miles ahead of Kapil in Average and SR. Their ER are quite close. When you consider that Avg = ER * SR, better average of Waqar shows that he was a much better bowler.
Excellent figures that you dug up Migara. This shows that Waqar takes 2 wickets practically every match that he plays while his contemporaries manage only 1 wicket per match and 3 wickets every 2 matches (given that they bowl 10 overs every match).

In terms of sheer wicket taking abilities Waqar is miles ahead of his contemporaries while leaking just about the same number of runs as the average bowler.

While Kapil is hardly distinguishable from the average bowler of his time in terms of wicket taking ability while he does leak fewer runs.

Weldone....given the importance of taking quick wickets in winning matches (even ODIs, not only test matches) I'd say a captain would be willing to sacrifice 10 runs for an extra wicket. Does not sound like a bad deal in most cases I should think.

chris.hinton

International Captain
My 10 would be

Tendulkar
Kapil Dev
Gavaskar
Bedi
Akram
Imran Khan
Javed Minidad
Aravinda de Silva
Muttiah Muralitharan
Inziman Ul Haq

smash84

The Tiger King
My 10 would be

Tendulkar
Kapil Dev
Gavaskar
Bedi
Akram
Imran Khan
Javed Minidad
Aravinda de Silva
Muttiah Muralitharan
Inziman Ul Haq
Bedi in an Asian top 10???? I am sure that would raise more than a few eye brows. Chandrashekar would have been a better choice. No? And no Waqar?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
as Asian top 10 without Sanga is a crime imo.
Yeah, even completely ignoring his wicket keeping, I'd pick him in my AaronK World XI (that is, "all-time" World XI comprised completely of players whose careers who've partially witnessed). Very under-rated bat IMO; hopefully that'll change when he retires.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
an Asian top 10 without Sanga is a crime imo.
Sanga narrowly misses my top 10 & is in good company along with the likes of Zaheer Abbas, Inzamam, Jayawardene, Bedi, Kumble, V Merchant and Sehwag.

Aravinda still > Sanga for me

smash84

The Tiger King
Dravid > Inzamam & Waqar > Bedi

Apart from that agree with it
Dravid > Inzamam I agree with but Dravid > Waqar? Although it is difficult to compare batsmen with bowlers but I personally think Waqar is a much greater match winner as far as ODIs are concerned. And he is no mean achiever in the test arena too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Waqar was the greatest bowler ever I reckon and even though it was only for a few years I find it very hard to look past him.

Zinzan

Dravid > Inzamam I agree with but Dravid > Waqar? Although it is difficult to compare batsmen with bowlers but I personally think Waqar is a much greater match winner as far as ODIs are concerned. And he is no mean achiever in the test arena too.
I didn't say Dravid was > Waqar, I was comparing Dravid vs. Inzi and Waqar vs. Bedi separately

Teja.

Global Moderator
All-time Sub-continental Test XI,

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad
Sangakkara(wk)
Khan(C)
Akram
Akthar
Waqar
Murali

The top four pretty much pick themselves IMO. Hanif was considered but a bit of overkill with Gavaskar already there. Dravid and Tendulkar walk in. Sanga competes for Dravid's place but I'd rather have Sanga keep.

The fifth spot was a bit of a think. Sanga>Miandad as a pure batsman IMO, but not as much as Sanga(wk)+Miandad>Sanga+Dhoni(wk). Jayawardene criminally underrated too, but Miandad definitely the better man to bat at five particularly due to his excellence in batting with the tail. Hazare, De Silva, Azhar, Laxman, Inzy all class, but a tier below IMO.

Sangakkara - See above

Imran has to be the first pick anyone will make and Waqar, Akram and Murali walk in. Now the choice is between having Kapil Dev or Akthar. Kapil Dev obviously a fantastic cricketer who never had a significant dip either with bat or ball or body for 16 years and I'd pick him over Akthar in a Greatest Cricketers List but considering the strength of the batting, I'd rather have the better pacer. Shoaib on his days, which are often, is just something else. Can make a featherbed a raging volcano. The length of his career is often underrated too, played about 50 games and had a phenomenal SR and average particularly for this decade.

vcs

All-time Sub-continental Test XI,

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad
Sangakkara(wk)
Khan(C)
Akram
Akthar
Waqar
Murali

The top four pretty much pick themselves IMO. Hanif was considered but a bit of overkill with Gavaskar already there. Dravid and Tendulkar walk in. Sanga competes for Dravid's place but I'd rather have Sanga keep.

The fifth spot was a bit of a think. Sanga>Miandad as a pure batsman IMO, but not as much as Sanga(wk)+Miandad>Sanga+Dhoni(wk). Jayawardene criminally underrated too, but Miandad definitely the better man to bat at five particularly due to his excellence in batting with the tail. Hazare, De Silva, Azhar, Laxman, Inzy all class, but a tier below IMO.

Sangakkara - See above

Imran has to be the first pick anyone will make and Waqar, Akram and Murali walk in. Now the choice is between having Kapil Dev or Akthar. Kapil Dev obviously a fantastic cricketer who never had a significant dip either with bat or ball or body for 16 years and I'd pick him over Akthar in a Greatest Cricketers List but considering the strength of the batting, I'd rather have the better pacer. Shoaib on his days, which are often, is just something else. Can make a featherbed a raging volcano. The length of his career is often underrated too, played about 50 games and had a phenomenal SR and average particularly for this decade.
That's a cracking team. Would be near unbeatable on the subcontinent I reckon. You could throw Kumble in there for Shoaib if you wanted two spinners on a dustbowl, though Shoaib himself can be pretty dangerous in such conditions as well.

Teja.

Global Moderator
That's a cracking team. Would be near unbeatable on the subcontinent I reckon. You could throw Kumble in there for Shoaib if you wanted two spinners on a dustbowl, though Shoaib himself can be pretty dangerous in such conditions as well.
Would have Gupte tbh.