• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be Australia's next number three batsman?

Who should bat at 3?

• Total voters

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
What about getting someone into the team at 5 or 6, and having them comfortable in Test cricket, than shoehorning them straight into number 3?
Just like they did with Ponting, who then went on to be one of the best first drops in recent times? Surely that would be too logical.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Another name to throw into the mix would be Nic Maddinson.

I think he'd definitely be up for it in a few years time - he's opened and batted in the top order at state level and is pretty talented. If he puts his second year behind him and kicks on, he could be in with a shout .

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Even if Ponting or M Hussey bat at 3, they'll both likely be gone within the next couple of years anyway and we'll need somebody there. It is only slightly prolonging the problem.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
seriously, at what point does playing one of the keepers as a batsman become a real option. if a number 6 batsman had the record nevill does he'd be captaining the aus a team...

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I hope David Hussey gets a chance..I don't know what this guy needs to do to get selected..When Forrest can play ODI DHussey definetly can play test cricket and at #3..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yes.

On a serious note what about Joe Burns. Surprised he is not mentioned in discussions. Got a pretty solid FC record.
He's a talent, but probably needs to play a few more games before he's considered. If he does well on the Aus A tour, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leapfrog Forrest as the next cab off the rank, especially for the #3 slot.

I hope David Hussey gets a chance..I don't know what this guy needs to do to get selected..When Forrest can play ODI DHussey definetly can play test cricket and at #3..
He's got issues with the short ball, and movement can trouble him. Would bat him at 6, not 3.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
He's got issues with the short ball, and movement can trouble him. Would bat him at 6, not 3.
The guy has an average of close to 55 with a SR of 70 playing in Aus and Eng.I am sure he knows how to handle both by now. Give him a chance and see what he does is all i say. It looks like the only factor against him is the age and players half his talent are gettng a chance over him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The guy has an average of close to 55 with a SR of 70 playing in Aus and Eng.I am sure he knows how to handle both by now. Give him a chance and see what he does is all i say. It looks like the only factor against him is the age and players half his talent are gettng a chance over him.
Yeah, I've been pushing for his inclusion for a while. I'd just rather see him down at 6, instead of 3.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He needs to not stay leg side of the ball for a start.

I do agree with the idea Macca raised of preferably having a new player enter the Test line up at number six while they get acquainted with the game at that level. As was mentioned though, if the top three is itself unsettled, then it makes it difficult. The likes of Ponting, Martyn, both Waughs all debuted batting at six. But then again, I suppose you can afford to do that when you've some top order stability.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
He needs to not stay leg side of the ball for a start.
Katich had a as they say "crab crawl" technique going right across the stumps but he was highly successful as a opening bat so Hussey might succeed as well atleast he has done it at the FC level. Is that what everybody goes by in selecting a player? The whole theory of young guns over Hussey has been going on for the last 4 years and Aus hasn't found anybody worthwhile..so give this guy a chance he might succeed..

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
In an ideal world our top 3 would be Hughes, Warner and Khwajha, sure the selectors might have to bite the bullet eventually with these guys but this combo is mostly likely to produce solid long term results.

Anyways since the chances of selectors pulling off such a ballsy move are pretty bleak then the next best options are Finch and Maddinson, sure these two might not have done anything great in FC cricket so far but the talent is definitely there, they have the technique to keep the good balls out and range of strokes to push the bowlers on the backfoot which is what you basically want from your #3.