• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was the quickest West Indian pace bowler ??

ashley bach

International Captain
I know Patterson was rated super quick at the time, but he didn't actually play that long.
One name I'm surprised not to see here is Malcolm Marshall, he was one of the 1st that came to mind.

thierry henry

International Coach
In the 70's and 80's cricket mostly attracted the best athletes in West indies the case became less so once other sporting opportunities opened up for them so there is a strong chance the pacers of the earlier era being quicker then the era that followed due to them simply being better athletes .

Fiedel was quick alright now imagine similar pace guy but with a 8-10 inch height advantage
Why am I imagining we literally have footage

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought this was kind of Holdings claim to fame amongst the quartet

Roberts was the OG and had the swagger and thirst for blood
Marshall was well rounded and the most accurate, mastered line
Garner the steep bounce and surprise yorker, I guess mastered length
Holding had the speed

thierry henry

International Coach
Thought this was kind of Holdings claim to fame amongst the quartet

Roberts was the OG and had the swagger and thirst for blood
Marshall was well rounded and the most accurate, mastered line
Garner the steep bounce and surprise yorker, I guess mastered length
Holding had the speed
If Roberts had the most swagger then by definition he was the fastest

Kirkut

International Regular
This Is Michael Holding btw , makes sense with Andy Roberts who was clear cut slower being 159 kmph in even 1975 and then 157 the very next year.
Neither of them were that fast to be frank, yes I do imagine Holding being as quick as the pre injury Bond for almost his entire career.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Roberts had the most swagger then by definition he was the fastest
I actually rushed the Roberts description coz I guess he's clearly the worst of the 4 statistically. Maybe I should have said he was the most canny or something, had the biggest bag of tricks. The slower bouncer followed by the quicker one or something

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Best batters don't get hit because the bouncers are quick. It is because the particular delivery was relatively much faster than the rest. A 130k bowler delivering a 145k delivery has more chance to floor a good batsman who is facing consistent barrage at150k. That's where Andy Roberts come in. 130, 132, 134, 130, 134 (bouncer), 127, and 144 (bouncer), 145 (pitched up) would be a typical series of deliveries by him. the last two usually will get the batsman. Of course the series would be much lengthier with a lot of deception.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah Roberts did have a reputation bowling a surprise accurate bouncer that would could take someone’s head off. If we decide solely on speed bracket, it should look something like:

Tier 1: Patterson, Holding, Clarke
Tier 2: Marshall, Roberts, Bishop, Daniel
Tier 3: Garner, Ambrose, Walsh

Not sure where Hall, Croft etc. would fall. Perhaps tier 2?

Aritro

International Regular
Bishop was definitely 'tier 1' when he first came on the scene. In fact a good candidate for fastest of all.

Haha, that's from "Bats, Balls and Bouncers". I probably knew every piece of commentary from that video as a kid after watching it over and over.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know Patterson was rated super quick at the time, but he didn't actually play that long.
One name I'm surprised not to see here is Malcolm Marshall, he was one of the 1st that came to mind.
He was regarded as the fastest bowler in the world between Holding and Patterson. Early Craig McDermott around that time was very fast too. Very raw though.