• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was the better bowler?

Choose the better bowler

• Total voters

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
MacGill for me in my opinion. Again I talk about that strong era in Aust cricket....if it wasn't for Shane Warne playing then MacGill plays more Test cricket.

Played in 44 Test matches
Bowled in 85 Test innings
208 wickets with a bowling average of 29.02
Strike Rate of 54.0

Great stats

Sunil1z

International Regular
Lyon is getting close to 450 test wickets. I have no doubt that had Macgill played in current era , he too would have got atleast 450 test wickets .

Sunil1z

International Regular
Is there even one team that plays spin better in comparison to their 90s and 00s team ?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Swann for me. He was an outanding off spinner and when you consider that he played most of his cricket in England on pretty unhelpful pitches, his record is excellent.

He also had a good record abroad, apart from Down Under.

Macgill has a really good record and would obviously have played more but for Warne. But he never played in England or S Africa. All his cricket was on helpful pitches at home and in Asia.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Lyon is getting close to 450 test wickets. I have no doubt that had Macgill played in current era , he too would have got atleast 450 test wickets .
I agree, if MagGill is playing now then he is taking 400+ wickets.

Plus, despite Lyon taking 430+ wickets. I dont rate him that highly. He is good but not that good imo. For some reason I have never really rated him that highly. Why.....well imo its because he is one dimensional and bowls roughly the same stuff over and over again. In a stronger era he is getting hammered as batsman would be using their feet and being more attacking. Still can't believe he has taken as many wickets as he has.

Saqlain Mushtaq - I rate him as a better offspin bowler than Lyon imo.