• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was an ATG FC cricketer

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JP Duminy

Tests: 2103 runs at 32.85
First-class: 4671 runs at 56.28

His bowling is worse at first-class though
heh almost the exact same for Ravi Jadeja

Tests: 1485 runs at 32.28
First-class: 3930 runs at 56.14

(yeah I know he was already mentioned, just thought the similarity was interesting)

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Duminy is a waste man. Had the skill to bat long and big but only ever performed against Australia.

stephen

Duminy has as many centuries in Australia as he has in South Africa, despite playing 7 tests in the former and 19 in the latter.

In addition to this, one of his two home test centuries was against Australia.

In addition to this, half his career centuries were against Australia.

It's absurd and he played a huge role in several series wins against Australia.

But then he got owned as soon as he played England or India.

morgieb

Surprised Siddons didn't get the token brief run in the aus side ala Law, Elliott, Di Venuto, Hodge, Love

He truly got no love
Well Diva didn't play any Tests, Siddons got 2 ODI's IIRC.

What is odder was that he was a fair bit older than those blokes so played in a time where Australia's batting depth was quite poor. From what I can tell it had something to do with getting clocked by Merv in a Shield game (or at least that's what TC said)

Jarquis

I only just realised that if you take out Test cricket records, you may see a completely different cricketer.

Examples:

Mark Waugh scored 18,826 runs @ 58.10 if you ignore his test record of 8,029 runs @ 41.81

Richie Benaud would walk into Australia's current side as a batsman given his FC batting average of 41.20 excluding Tests

Keith Miller scored 11,225 runs @ 53.45 and took 327 wkts @ 21.96 outside of Test cricket, surely the greatest FC allrounder ever?

Who else?
Does the Bradman rule apply to WG Grace if we're talking FC cricket? I assume so based on the above..

morgieb

Duminy has as many centuries in Australia as he has in South Africa, despite playing 7 tests in the former and 19 in the latter.

In addition to this, one of his two home test centuries was against Australia.

In addition to this, half his career centuries were against Australia.

It's absurd and he played a huge role in several series wins against Australia.

But then he got owned as soon as he played England or India.
Duminy is probably the cricketer whose Test failures are the most perplexing. He certainly wasn't a FTB IMO and while he did struggle against spin (which probably explains why he did so well against Australia compared to India) he looked pretty outstanding when he did get in. Maybe he needed to bat up the order? Injuries didn't help either I guess.

trundler

Watching those Australia A Tri series matches and Siddons looks absolutely awesome.

Burgey

Hold on, I could be confusing him with someone else here
I don’t know that he played in them mate. Blewett, Ponting, Martyn, Hayden all did iirc. Maybe Stu Law as well. Not entirely sure.

Other excellent FC players of that time were Jamie Cox and Dean Hills from Tassie. Couldn’t get a game.

Apologies if they’ve been mentioned already

morgieb

Possibly true for Vaughan and Trescothick too. But I'll need someone else to check as I have to be out of here soon.
Trescothick's FC average less his Test performance is 40.33, though in fairness that's improved a lot since his Test retirement (and has declined a bit now he's over 40)

Vaughan's FC average sans Test matches is 34.90, which is significantly worse than his Test one.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Alan Davidson FC is 5476 runs @ 35.79 (with 9 centuries) and 486 wkts @ 21.04 when excluding Tests

Pretty handy allrounder there so may have suffered from batting too low in tests?

Last edited:

morgieb

Alan Davidson FC is 5476 runs @ 35.79 (with 9 centuries) and 486 wkts @ 21.04 when excluding Tests

Pretty handy allrounder there so may have suffered from batting too low in tests?
Well the quality of attacks he was facing would've been a lot better at Test level than Shield level in fairness. Especially when you consider NSW had all the great bowlers of the time.

mr_mister

Still, it's a fair point. That's the mark of a solid number 6 and his test stats imply he was basically a bowler who could bat a bit. Wasim level or so