• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was an ATG FC cricketer

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Tich Freeman anybody?
On which subject, if you look at the leading FC wicket takers behind Wilfred Rhodes, the next 6 are Tich Freeman, Charlie Parker, Jack Hearne, Tom Goddard, Alec Kennedy and Derek Shackleton. None of them played more than 12 Tests, and while 11 of Hearne's 12 were against Australia the others played a total of 4 Ashes Tests.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t know that he played in them mate. Blewett, Ponting, Martyn, Hayden all did iirc. Maybe Stu Law as well. Not entirely sure.

Other excellent FC players of that time were Jamie Cox and Dean Hills from Tassie. Couldn’t get a game.

Apologies if they’ve been mentioned already
Oh yeah he did not not. I was thinking about Jimmy Maher.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The cool thing about Love was his record in Sheffield Shield finals. Didn't he ton up in 4-5 of them? Bloody impressive

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Matt Sinclair

Test average 32.05
First class domestic average 52.30

Franklyn Stephenson also worth a nod given his FC bowling average of 24 and batting average of nearly 28. Did the ultimate allrounders double once by hitting 2 hundreds and taking 10 wickets in a match for Notts .

Last edited:

morgieb

What do people think were the reasons for Harris and Sinclair not stepping up? Sinclair is even weirder when you consider how well he started his career.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I was going to mention that too. Especially if the NZ side itself was in action, which would have stripped the cream away.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Surprised Siddons didn't get the token brief run in the aus side ala Law, Elliott, Di Venuto, Hodge, Love

He truly got no love
Less love than Love, that's for sure.

Absolutely ridiculous that Stewie Law only played that solitary Test btw.

The guys who were playing Shield in the 90s/early 2000s were clearly test standard, and Australia should have been able to field two test teams during that era. All those guys deserved to play tests but just couldn't get a run. I know some of them played tests but realistically they would have all played close to 100 tests for another country in that era:

Matthew Elliott
Martin Love
Brad Hodge
Darren Lehmann
Stuart Law
Jamie Siddons
Tom Moody
Darren Berry/Wade Seccombe/Phil Emery +
Brendon Julian
Andy Bichel
Michael Kasprowicz

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
The guys who were playing Shield in the 90s/early 2000s were clearly test standard, and Australia should have been able to field two test teams during that era. All those guys deserved to play tests but just couldn't get a run. I know some of them played tests but realistically they would have all played close to 100 tests for another country in that era:

Matthew Elliott
Martin Love
Brad Hodge
Darren Lehmann
Stuart Law
Jamie Siddons
Tom Moody
Brendon Julian
Andy Bichel
Michael Kasprowicz
Glad to see Siddons got a promotion. Can't really agree that Julian/Bichel & Kaspa were 100 Test players though. Allow me to continue riffing on this...

Jamie Cox
Dene Hills
Greg Blewett
Mike Veletta
Dan Marsh
Brad McNamara
Tim Neilsen+
Ian Harvey
Paul McIntyre
Jo Angel
Adam Dale

Paul Wilson, Damien Wright, Michael Di Venuto, Clinton Perren, Shane Lee, Joe Scuderi, Mick Lewis, Scott Muller

TheJediBrah

Matthew Elliott
Martin Love
Brad Hodge
Darren Lehmann
Stuart Law
Jamie Siddons
Tom Moody
Brendon Julian
Andy Bichel
Michael Kasprowicz
lol you had me until you got to Phil Emery

@Jimmy, Kasprowicz was a gun. Would easily have played a hell of a lot more for other countries. He kept Lee out of the side for a bit. I agree that Bichel is overrated in red-ball cricket though.

Glad to see Siddons got a promotion. Can't really agree that Julian/Bichel & Kaspa were 100 Test players though. Allow me to continue riffing on this...

Jamie Cox
Dene Hills
Greg Blewett
Mike Veletta
Dan Marsh
Brad McNamara
Tim Neilsen+
Ian Harvey
Paul McIntyre
Jo Angel
Adam Dale

Paul Wilson, Damien Wright, Michael Di Venuto, Clinton Perren, Shane Lee, Joe Scuderi, Mick Lewis, Scott Muller
I don't think you can reasonably say that most of those guys (other than Cox & Blewett) would have been Test regulars for other countries.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree Kaspa was a gun. 100 Tests is stretching it, though.

And yeah, not necessarily saying that many of those players were Test standard, just love pointing out the quality of the state teams from that era.

That being said, I think Jo Angel & Ian Harvey would have had a sloid run. McIntyre was quite underrated as well, would have played more if it wasn't for injuries/Warne.

McNamara & Dale were quality OD players.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah and I imagine the jump between standard of NZ FC cricket and International cricket would be bigger than a lot of countries
I'd say this more than ground size - we are talking about FC cricket, and Sinclair was never much of a 6 hitter. He was just one of those players caught in the no man's land between Internationals and Domestics. Having said that he did score that ridiculous hundred against Donald and co in South Africa, he definitely had some talent. Maybe there was a bit of a mental element to it as well.

Red

Lehmann was averaging close to 60 for a decade in the Shield before he got a run in tests.

Adam Dale is a good shout, good bowler. Was a real force for a short time in ODIs.

Red

lol you had me until you got to Phil Emery
My point wasn't so much the 100 test thing, but more that we could have fielded a 2nd competitive test XI quite easily in that era, and they probably would have been in the top 4 test teams in the world. Emery, along with the other two keepers, was a class keeper and handy bat.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Big chance that had an Australia A team competed in World Cups from 1996 - 2007 we could have very well had an Australia vs Australia A final somewhere along the line.

Red

For sure, pretty rare for a fast bowler to play 100 Tests though. That was a pretty high bar.
Sure, but Kaspa played 242 FC matches all up. McGrath played 189. No reason to think Kaspa couldn't have played 124 tests like McGrath did, if he had the chance.

TheJediBrah

My point wasn't so much the 100 test thing, but more that we could have fielded a 2nd competitive test XI quite easily in that era, and they probably would have been in the top 4 test teams in the world. Emery, along with the other two keepers, was a class keeper and handy bat.
Well tbf if Mark Boucher can play 147 Tests there's no reason to think that those guys couldn't have played 100+

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Big chance that had an Australia A team competed in World Cups from 1996 - 2007 we could have very well had an Australia vs Australia A final somewhere along the line.
Just for fun, here an imaginary 1996 Australia A CWC squad...

Matt Hayden
Justin Langer
Dean Jones
Damien Martyn*
Darren Lehmann
Tom Moody
Adam Gilchrist+
Andy Bichel
Michael Kasprowicz
Gavin Robertson
Adam Dale

Greg Blewett, Jamie Cox, Brendan Julian, Brad Hogg