• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the second best opener of the last half century?

Who is the second best opener of the last fifty years?

• Dennis Amiss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roy Fredericks

• Gautam Gambhir

• Chris Gayle

• Hershelle Gibbs

• Graham Gooch

• Desmond Haynes

• Sanath Jayasuriya

• Gary Kirsten

• Justin Langer

• Saeed Anwar

• Navjot Sidhu

• Michael Slater

• Alec Stewart

• Mark Taylor

• Marcus Trescothick

• Glenn Turner

• Michael Vaughan

• Dave Warner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Much is made about Smith in the 4th innings but in the last 50 years these are the 4th innings averages:

Boycott 61.77!!
Greenidge 54.92!
Gavaskar 52.50
Smith 51.68
Hayden 49.50
Gooch 47.47

Interesting Sehwag (who often went nuts early in tests) 32.17
Think the noise about Smith in the 4th has been about it being matchwinning rather than the average. When he went big in the 4th, RSA always won, but it is a combo of RSA style of attrional cricket and being generally pretty strong in his era that enabled it.

Sehwag is interesting. i have heard him described on CW as possibly the best player pf spin ever (no idea tbh, only ever watched him against utterly janky rsa spinners). but that is a low 4th average considering thanks prause he gets

sunilz

International Regular
Greenidge averages about 30 in Asia which is supposed to be the easiest place for openers ( And 80s being dark era for spinners)

Anyways 2 important Sehwag stats
1. Only opener to score 4 250+ score ( Bradman, Lara also have 4)

2. Had scored 13 consecutive 150+ score.

Sehwag should have worked hard on its game against moving ball or maybe his batting style was never going to be successful against swing.

sunilz

International Regular
Think the noise about Smith in the 4th has been about it being matchwinning rather than the average. When he went big in the 4th, RSA always won, but it is a combo of RSA style of attrional cricket and being generally pretty strong in his era that enabled it.

Sehwag is interesting. i have heard him described on CW as possibly the best player pf spin ever (no idea tbh, only ever watched him against utterly janky rsa spinners). but that is a low 4th average considering thanks prause he gets
Even Muralitharan rated Lara, Sehwag as 2 toughest batsman to bowl to.
Warne also rated Sehwag very highly. So , there is truth to the assertions of him being gold against spinners.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Even Muralitharan rated Lara, Sehwag as 2 toughest batsman to bowl to.
Warne also rated Sehwag very highly. So , there is truth to the assertions of him being gold against spinners.
Not that i care how a bowler or two ranks a bat, and not saying there is anything wrong with him being rated this highly against spinners, i just find his 4th average interesting.

sunilz

International Regular
Not that i care how a bowler or two ranks a bat, and not saying there is anything wrong with him being rated this highly against spinners, i just find his 4th average interesting.
Even Tendulkar, Lara, Smith (steve) have low 4th innings average. Maybe players who have high 4th innings average are mentally very tough.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Greenidge averages about 30 in Asia which is supposed to be the easiest place for openers ( And 80s being dark era for spinners)
1. Greenidge averages 36 in Asia which is very different from 30 and a fairly passable average in the era he played.
2. As I said before, Greenidge's career was nearly twice as long as most openers here and his best was before 1985 by which time he had played already for 12 years of test cricket. From 1974 to 1985, Greenidge averaged 47 in Asia. His lower average in Asia is purely a function of him carrying on a lesser 40 average batsman for such a long period post 1985, after already having a decade plus as an ATG 50 average opener in a tough era.

sunilz

International Regular
1. Greenidge averages 36 in Asia which is very different from 30 and a fairly passable average in the era he played.
2. As I said before, Greenidge's career was nearly twice as long as most openers here and his best was before 1985 by which time he had played already for 12 years of test cricket. From 1974 to 1985, Greenidge averaged 47 in Asia. His lower average in Asia is purely a function of him carrying on a lesser 40 average batsman for such a long period post 1985, after already having a decade plus as an ATG 50 average opener in a tough era.
I have no problem with his overall record. I was just pointing out flaw in his record as people already know positive and negative aspects of Sehwag, Smith and Hayden.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I have no problem with his overall record. I was just pointing out flaw in his record as people already know positive and negative aspects of Sehwag, Smith and Hayden.
Okay, but saying he averages about 30 in Asia when he averages 36.xx is is like saying Sehwag averages about 40 overall even though he averages 49.x.

sunilz

International Regular
Okay, but saying he averages about 30 in Asia when he averages 36.xx is is like saying Sehwag averages about 40 overall even though he averages 49.x.
He averaged 30 in Australia too. Now don't tell we should ignore that also.

All I want to say that like Sehwag, Hayden and Smith he too has flaw in his records.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Also would like to note that Anwar is underrated badly here. The guy averaged 47.xx as an opener which is only 2-3 runs off the burly 3 in a much tougher decade for opening the batting.

He was not as destructive as the other 3 but more consistent. As an opener, he averaged 52 in Asia, 46 away from home and 43 in SENA. He averaged 35 in SA over 4 tests but his only real failure were 2 tours of Zimbabwe.

The only reason why his career isn't considered elite is because he retired early after a 8 year career but considering the big 3 have also not played too much more cricket, I think he easily deserves to be in the same category as them.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Also would like to note that Anwar is underrated badly here. The guy averaged 47.xx as an opener which is only 2-3 runs off the burly 3 in a much tougher decade for opening the batting.

He was not as destructive as the other 3 but a lot more consistent. As an opener, he averaged 52 in Asia, 46 away from home and 43 in SENA. He averaged 35 in SA over 4 tests but his only real failure were 2 tours of Zimbabwe.

The only reason why his career isn't considered elite is because he retired early after a 8 year career but considering the big 3 have also not played too much more cricket, I think he easily deserves to be in the same category as them.
You do know Anwar's overall average vs SA, WI is low 20s. And he has barely 4000 runs in aggregate as compared to 8000 for sehwag, Hayden and Smith.

So Anwar neither has perfection in record, nor he has longevity.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gary Kirsten and Anwar are probably just below Sehwag, Hayden and Smith.

Teja.

Global Moderator
You do know Anwar's overall average vs SA, WI is low 20s. And he has barely 4000 runs in aggregate as compared to 8000 for sehwag, Hayden and Smith.

So Anwar neither has perfection in record, nor he has longevity.
I mean he played for 8 years which is not very high but comparable to the other 3. It’s not his fault that Pakistan didn’t play many tests in the 90s.

Many batsmen have scored more runs in a decade than Sachin in the 90s because India only played 60-odd games. Were they better than him at the end of the 90s just because India didn’t play many games in the 90s?

Flem274*

123/5
did not know that (or much) about anwar tbh. i was conceptually aware he was a gun, but never saw him and never looked into him that hard. he sounds awesome.
I mean he played for 8 years which is not very high but comparable to the other 3. It’s not his fault that Pakistan didn’t play many tests in the 90s.

Many batsmen have scored more runs in a decade than Sachin in the 90s because India only played 60-odd games. Were they better than him at the end of the 90s just because India didn’t play many games in the 90s?
now you're getting it. come to the dark side.