• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the second best opener of the last half century?

Who is the second best opener of the last fifty years?

• Dennis Amiss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roy Fredericks

• Gautam Gambhir

• Chris Gayle

• Hershelle Gibbs

• Graham Gooch

• Desmond Haynes

• Sanath Jayasuriya

• Gary Kirsten

• Justin Langer

• Saeed Anwar

• Navjot Sidhu

• Michael Slater

• Alec Stewart

• Mark Taylor

• Marcus Trescothick

• Glenn Turner

• Michael Vaughan

• Dave Warner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look guys, Greenidge never had to face the best attack of his era (and they were the best by some distance too). That automatically means you should knock 9.375 runs from his average, proving once and forever that Boeta Dippenaar was the second best opener of the last fifty years behind Chris Gayle.
tbf it's not binary, it's just one of the tens of things you can consider when rating someone.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although not really a candidate for the title of “best” Roy Fredericks was as good as any to watch on his day. It’s a shame no footage of his Perth century on the 75/76 tour seems to exist. It was a run a ball against Lillee and Thomson on what was then a frighteningly fast pitch. He did struggle a bit against John McEnroe’s swinging left handed serve. In the first World Cup Final he hooked Lillee out of the ground but trod on his stumps.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I cannot believe people are voting for Barry Richards in this. Sorry, it gets my goat.

The guy did not play a single test match in the half-century the vote is based on. Not one.

In the half-century we are voting on, he played some first-class matches and was part of a circus extravaganza some impressario fixed, but he never played a meaningful test match ever. We have absolutely no idea how he would have performed in the cauldron of a real test match against fired-up bowlers bowling in a match where something mattered.

I mean, I understand he was a pretty boy and teenagers of that era might have had a crush on him, but that does not make him a candidate for this poll. He's the joke last option in the poll, and people voting for him are idiots.
I'll crush your nuts with my ****.

bagapath

International Captain
Although not really a candidate for the title of “best” Roy Fredericks was as good as any to watch on his day. It’s a shame no footage of his Perth century on the 75/76 tour seems to exist. It was a run a ball against Lillee and Thomson on what was then a frighteningly fast pitch. He did struggle a bit against John McEnroe’s swinging left handed serve. In the first World Cup Final he hooked Lillee out of the ground but trod on his stumps.
nice!!!!