• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the second best opener of the last half century?

Who is the second best opener of the last fifty years?

• Dennis Amiss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roy Fredericks

• Gautam Gambhir

• Chris Gayle

• Hershelle Gibbs

• Graham Gooch

• Desmond Haynes

• Sanath Jayasuriya

• Gary Kirsten

• Justin Langer

• Saeed Anwar

• Navjot Sidhu

• Michael Slater

• Alec Stewart

• Mark Taylor

• Marcus Trescothick

• Glenn Turner

• Michael Vaughan

• Dave Warner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, Sehwag for me too. Fine record in its own right despite the drastic downturn in form towards the end but he made cricket fun after all the ethical turbulence India fans endured around the turn of the century. He also seemed genuinely mental in a way Jayasuriya or Gilchrist, his closest contemporaries in fearless exploits, never did.
Pfft.. we all know Jaya and Gilly and Ponting had spring in their bats.

Flem274*

123/5
Nobody since Greenidge or Richards has quite the universal respect of those two. Maybe we don’t give openers enough credit generally any more.
We definitely don't.

There's a reason there are way more 50+ averaging middle order batsmen than openers, especially in the past 50 years. It's the worst job in cricket.

When talking averages 45 for an opener is equal to 50 for a 3-5 batsman imo, with high 40s being 54-55.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We definitely don't.

There's a reason there are way more 50+ averaging middle order batsmen than openers, especially in the past 50 years. It's the worst job in cricket.

When talking averages 45 for an opener is equal to 50 for a 3-5 batsman imo, with high 40s being 54-55.
The other thing is that we think of openers as needing to be more technically correct than the rest of the lineup. But all of the realistic options after Greenidge have huge weaknesses offset by huge strengths. Really weird disparity between the ideal of an opener and what the best ones have actually been like.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden averaged 58 over an 8 year period and did it against some very good attacks. His weaknesses are overstated and his strengths underrated. He'd probably have sustained that peak for longer if given a proper run earlier too.

Barry Richards may have had all the potential but you can't play 4 tests and be considered the best IMO.

Sehwag was good and played some fine knocks but his weaknesses were the same as Hayden's, only worse. And he was less consistent as Hayden - more likely to go huge but less likely to get a hundred.

Smith was gutsy and earned a lot of respect but was a bit below the other two. His home record is not good. He make a good foil to one of the other two.

A case can be made for someone like Greenidge or Slater, given the tougher periods they played in but I genuinely think that Hayden was better than both.

Slifer

International Captain
To me it's close between Hayden and Sehwag. Hayden definitely gets respect from me for being one of the very few openers to average 50+.

Opening is easily the toughest job in all of cricket, especially in England and RSA.

Gob

International Coach
Hayden averaged 58 over an 8 year period and did it against some very good attacks. His weaknesses are overstated and his strengths underrated. He'd probably have sustained that peak for longer if given a proper run earlier too.

Barry Richards may have had all the potential but you can't play 4 tests and be considered the best IMO.

Sehwag was good and played some fine knocks but his weaknesses were the same as Hayden's, only worse. And he was less consistent as Hayden - more likely to go huge but less likely to get a hundred.

Smith was gutsy and earned a lot of respect but was a bit below the other two. His home record is not good. He make a good foil to one of the other two.

A case can be made for someone like Greenidge or Slater, given the tougher periods they played in but I genuinely think that Hayden was better than both.
Wasn't it well documented that the pitches he played on at the Gabba in 90s were difficult to distinguish from the out field and he still made a mountain of runs on them? I think 05 ashes was the biggest dent of his record but not many people seem to remember his form was absolutely shot going in to that series

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
We definitely don't.

One of the tougher and understated aspects of being an opener is having to field for a day and a half and then go straight into batting. Especially after a big total has been posted and the bowlers have been resting.

Whereas middle order batsmen get to sit back and have a breather inbetween innings.

Can't recall many top openers having nightwatchmen.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any of Smith, Cook, Hayden or Sehwag. Impossible for me to distinguish enough to place one ahead of the others

Flem274*

123/5
The other thing is that we think of openers as needing to be more technically correct than the rest of the lineup. But all of the realistic options after Greenidge have huge weaknesses offset by huge strengths. Really weird disparity between the ideal of an opener and what the best ones have actually been like.
True. I suspect this is true for all batsmen, but openers have this feature exacerbated because they open.

Complete batsmen are very rare at test level, and the ones we do see almost always bat 3 or 4. As early as childrens cricket the best player is encouraged to those positions.

I can't think of many best players through the grades who insisted they were openers. Hobbs and Gavaskar spring to mind, but culturally cricketers choose to open so they actually get a bat as kids and fc batsmen. At least that is the case in this country. The young bloke Ravindra in the first in decades to insist he's an opener.