• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest English bowler of all time?

Who is the greatest English bowler of all time?

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Regular
Trueman is ever so slightly underwhelming in Aus/WI but at home he was great against any type of batting lineup. 1963 against WI is one of the greatest ever efforts in a losing cause.

Chubb

International Regular
Barnes is the greatest English bowler, he is the only one of these three who has a genuine claim to be the worldwide GOAT bowler, as much as I respect Anderson and to a lesser extent Truman.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Correct, incredibly.

I noticed you voted for Trueman - does that mean you believe Neil Adcock > every Englishman as a bowler?
I would never post a falsehood. If it's not true I simply won't post it.

That's a tempting position to take for hipster brownie points but Trueman still shades it over Adcock for longevity, if nothing else.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So looking at the poll options, it's more or less a consensus that Anderson plays in all time English XI?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would never post a falsehood. If it's not true I simply won't post it.

That's a tempting position to take for hipster brownie points but Trueman still shades it over Adcock for longevity, if nothing else.
I actually don't think Trueman's true longevity was much better than Adcock's - he played more Tests but that's just because England did. I've got Trueman at precisely seven years of longevity and Adcock at 5.63.

271 & 16/166

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barnes is fabled by his contemporaries and well versed historians as the GOAT, this IMO gives him the nod. The best of his era and as no one is alive today that saw him, hard to dispute is greatness.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
I actually don't think Trueman's true longevity was much better than Adcock's - he played more Tests but that's just because England did. I've got Trueman at precisely seven years of longevity and Adcock at 5.63.
What are Anderson’s and Walsh’s true longevity?

Burgey

It's Underwood isn't it? 300 wickets at 25 bowling finger spin of all things is great, and his away average is 27 which is pretty good for what he bowled.

You can't seriously have a bloke rated as your all timer who averages 31 away, Come on.

Then again, it is England. So there's that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's Underwood isn't it? 300 wickets at 25 bowling finger spin of all things is great, and his away average is 27 which is pretty good for what he bowled.
I love how even when you talk up a finger spinner you can't help absolutely ****ting on the bowling style :lol:

I've also always enjoyed the fact that both yourself and TOTAB bowled left arm finger spin. Your darkest shame?

Burgey

I love how even when you talk up a finger spinner you can't help absolutely ****ting on the bowling style :lol:

I've also always enjoyed the fact that both yourself and TOTAB bowled left arm finger spin. Your darkest shame?
The thing TOTAB and I have in common wrt finger spin is we both turned to it as a last resort after trying to bowl seam up, thereby proving once again that it's the easiest discipline in the sport and reinforcing it should never be either your first option nor your primary skill (if you can call it a skill) as a cricketer

I also resent the inaccuracy in your saying I spun it.

ashley bach

International Captain
Having only seen minimal footage and the stats of Truman and Barnes over their careers which were in different era's, it feels like selecting the GOAT
here would be totally random imo.
As far as Jimmy goes I can only say as the years roll on that I have come to respect and admire him more and more. Even in appalling conditions he
just keeps firing in and giving so little away that this often leads to wickets at the other end. He's like a fine bottle of wine that ages exquisitely.
As much as I have come to respect my good mate @Burgey cricketing opinions, I feel this one needs to be stuck up him.....
Sir James of Anderson is a ****ing LEGEND.