• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is South Africa's Greatest Batsman

South Africa's Greatest

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Barry Richards - no disrespect to Kallis but he's not in the same class
This for me as well.

I knew that Richards would be a tough sell but for me, to say that Kallis is better than Pollock is almost like saying Chanderpaul is a a better/ greater batsman than Headley because of volume.

Genuinely shocked by the initial results here.

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't understand this, are you genuinely saying that Kallis can't be considered an ATG batsman? Otherwise how is he not in the same class

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't understand this, are you genuinely saying that Kallis can't be considered an ATG batsman? Otherwise how is he not in the same class
The discussion isn't about Kallis' status as an ATG.

watson

Banned
Due to sheer quantity of runs under all Test match conditions, and a flawless technique, you really can't go past Jacque Kallis as RSAs greatest batsman.

However, I also think it fair to say that both Pollock and Richards were better batsman. And so at No.4 I'd want Graeme Pollock anyday.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Pollock for me. No question. Richards and Kallis both excellent batsmen, but Pollock ahead of both.

akilana

International 12th Man
This for me as well.

I knew that Richards would be a tough sell but for me, to say that Kallis is better than Pollock is almost like saying Chanderpaul is a a better/ greater batsman than Headley because of volume.

Genuinely shocked by the initial results here.
I'm shocked by your post. It's Kallis all the way. Saying Richards is better is like saying Headly is better than Vivian Richards

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I think Pollock. I have not read too much on this not liking the short ball? Was still smashing the Rebel teams around when close to the age of 50. Played his Test cricket without a helmet and can't remember any reference to him having trouble with the short ball.

Holding thought Barry Richards had played too much county cricket and struggled with Test class bowlers during WSC.

Good to see Dudley mentioned. He and his Dad Dave were both great players with not a lot of support.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Greatest - Kallis
Best, esp aesthetically - Richards
Most attacking and fun to watch - Pollock

If Holding thinks Barry struggled in the WSC, then I think Holding struggled in that over he bowled to Boycott!.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Greatest - Kallis
Best, esp aesthetically - Richards
Most attacking and fun to watch - Pollock

If Holding thinks Barry struggled in the WSC, then I think Holding struggled in that over he bowled to Boycott!.
Agreed. Barry was very successful in WSC.

Actually of all the batsmen there only Greg Chappell and the two Richards emerged with their reputations enhanced.

Last edited:

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Pollock. I have not read too much on this not liking the short ball? Was still smashing the Rebel teams around when close to the age of 50. Played his Test cricket without a helmet and can't remember any reference to him having trouble with the short ball.

Holding thought Barry Richards had played too much county cricket and struggled with Test class bowlers during WSC.

Good to see Dudley mentioned. He and his Dad Dave were both great players with not a lot of support.
I accept that Richards was in the total comfort zone of county cricket and he only played a handful of Tests. Not really that well clued up about his performances in WSC but if we can compare it to the 1970 England v Rest of the World series I don't think that too many would disagree with me if I said Richards didn't have the heart for it. WSC for me was the same.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I accept that Richards was in the total comfort zone of county cricket and he only played a handful of Tests. Not really that well clued up about his performances in WSC but if we can compare it to the 1970 England v Rest of the World series I don't think that too many would disagree with me if I said Richards didn't have the heart for it. WSC for me was the same.
??? Yes, he didn't set the world on fire in the 3 "tests" he played against an English attack of Snow, Greig, Underwood, Wilson, Old. Scored 64, 30. 47, 32, 14, 14. But WSC was another story altogether.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I prefer to select players based on what actually happened than what could have happened. Kallis all the way. Ugly **** to watch and I would rather watch paint dry if given a choice but you can't question his stats or his effectiveness.