• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who can stop South Africa?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No way will India beat South Africa anywhere
Haven't lost a series to SA since 2006/07.

Definitely can beat SA at home if all they bring there is Petersen. Agree that they will probably go in favourites though if they were playing tomorrow in India.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah they are. They're just not the best attack of all time. Still a great attack.
Agree with this. Any attack which comfortably has 2 of the top 3 pacemen around is going to be a bit good and SA have that in Steyn and Philander. Add in their best batting line up since they returned to international cricket and you have a formidable line up.

Marius

International Debutant

Definitely can beat SA at home if all they bring there is Petersen. Will probably go in favourites though if they were playing tomorrow in India.
I really doubt they would take Petersen as their spinning option, it would probably interfere with his opening the batting, and I don't think he has taken a Test wicket, although he bowls a bit in List A and FC cricket.

I think they are far more likely to bring Peterson as their spinning option.

akilana

International 12th Man

Definitely can beat SA at home if all they bring there is Petersen. Agree that they will probably go in favourites though if they were playing tomorrow in India.
They brought P harris last 2 times and drew both series against a stronger indian team. Afterall, they may not need a spinner.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Harris is a god among men though.

Owned sachin and Dravid in 2006 and prevented a famous series win for India.

Bring back Paul and Nicky I reckon.

Marius

International Debutant
They brought P harris last 2 times and drew both series against a stronger indian team. Afterall, they may not need a spinner.
Yeah, with the fast bowlers SA has at the moment they only need a spinner in the Peterson/Harris mode. A guy who can tie up an end and sneak you a wicket or two an innings.

I think Harris was probably a better containing bowler than Peterson though, he can get a bit tonked, but he definitely gives it more of a rip than Harris used to.

Marius

International Debutant
Harris is a god among men though.

Owned sachin and Dravid in 2006 and prevented a famous series win for India.

Bring back Paul and Nicky I reckon.
Nicky is still playing List A for the Warriors.

:-/

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm worried for SA in the sense that I'm not sure they have a plan B most of the time. One of these days Philander is going to have a series where he's under par and a guy like Morkel will have to be given extra responsibility with the new ball.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'm worried for SA in the sense that I'm not sure they have a plan B most of the time. One of these days Philander is going to have a series where he's under par and a guy like Morkel will have to be given extra responsibility with the new ball.
they did get through such a situation just couple of months against the 2/3 best team in the world away from home. SA has actually became quite a gritty side atleast in tests in last 2-3 years they do get themselves out of many tight situations.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alleged murder has stopped the South African Paralympic team, and I suspect the same will be required to stop the cricket team.

Shame Andrew Hall doesn't play for them any more.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Should open him instead of Petersen.
Also who can forget him almost ****in up the 434 odi chase?