• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the neutrals supporting in the final?

Who are the neutrals supporting in the final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Molehill

International Captain
It’s because the default mindset in australia is anything less than a final is a sad, turgid, putrid disgrace.

Because that’s what it is.

Making and winning finals is what’s expected. Lesser nations make a KO and think it’s a decent effort. Losing in a semi final is ****ing reprehensible for the Aus odi side. Always will be. Even for bog average iterations like this one
Yeah, I kind of wish my own team had that. It's like the Germans used to be in football, or the Kiwis in rugby. Even their **** teams make finals.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Germans were never that good in football, even their best teams didn't win 2-3 finals on the trot & Brazil was simply better pre2k easily.

Molehill

International Captain
Germans were never that good in football, even their best teams didn't win 2-3 finals on the trot & Brazil was simply better pre2k easily.
The level of competitiveness is much higher in football though. Whilst there may have been not that many actual winners, it's far harder to reach semis and finals. Germany have won 3 and been in 3 more finals in the last 50 years, and some of those teams ('82, '02 for example) were pretty average.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
The level of competitiveness is much higher in football though. Whilst there may have been not that many actual winners, it's far harder to reach semis and finals. Germany have won 3 and been in 3 more finals in the last 50 years, and some of those teams ('82, '02 for example) were pretty average.
2002 especially. Not that I remember 1982 quite so well, but their 1986 team had a number of players past their best such as Rumminige. Matthaus and Brehme were two I recall who went on to lift the trophy 4 years later. I agree wholeheartedly that football has far greater depth.

Himannv

International Coach
82 was alright. They had Breitnigge just one year after their absolute peak and also featured lots of other good players as well. Kaltz, Forster, Litti, etc. were all pretty good at the time. Stielike was alright as well.

Molehill

International Captain
82 was alright. They had Breitnigge just one year after their absolute peak and also featured lots of other good players as well. Kaltz, Forster, Litti, etc. were all pretty good at the time. Stielike was alright as well.
Interesting spelling of Breitner!! 😂

I think they were no better than 3 or 4 other teams in the tournament, but they found a way of making a Final (like Aus here). They were no better than England in '90 or '96, but always found a way.

Himannv

International Coach
2002 especially. Not that I remember 1982 quite so well, but their 1986 team had a number of players past their best such as Rumminige. Matthaus and Brehme were two I recall who went on to lift the trophy 4 years later. I agree wholeheartedly that football has far greater depth.
Agreed. The 86 side had a fair number who weren't quite at their best and it was probably a weaker side than the 82 one. Even Magath was a bit older by then IIRC and Lothar wasn't quite the force that he went on to become once he joined Inter.

Chin Music

State 12th Man

I think they were no better than 3 or 4 other teams in the tournament, but they found a way of making a Final (like Aus here). They were no better than England in '90 or '96, but always found a way.
Lol added. My spelling of Rumminigge was off too, but a fair point to add Breitner there.

Himannv

International Coach

It's intentional lol. Stands for Breitner and Rummenigge. Bayern used to be called FC Breitnigge for a few years by the German fans and media at the time. Knew each others games inside out.

I agree there were stronger teams than them in 82, but they weren't exactly weak.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Not entirely sure about that....

Warner - Cheat and just a complete knob
Head - Crapped on my County
Marsh - Generally rubbish but does annoyingly well against England
Smith - Cheat
Labuschagne - Saffa
Inglis - Traitor
Maxwell - Seems ok
Cummins - Annoyingly ok (but the fact many Aussies don't like him makes him better)
Starc - Cheat
Zampa - Coffee obsessed weirdo
Hazlewood - Cheat
Fair point mate - I don't know what came over me - I bloody hate this Aussie side 👍

Molehill

International Captain
It's intentional lol. Stands for Breitner and Rummenigge. Bayern used to be called FC Breitnigge for a few years by the German fans and media at the time. Knew each others games inside out.

I agree there were stronger teams than them in 82, but they weren't exactly weak.
Ok, never heard them called that before, but I was only 10 at the time.

I think the key point is the last one. When there are a few teams who are much of a muchness, why is it always the same ones who find themselves in the Final?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Like would I rather be set on fire or drowned.

Where's the other option of freak weather incident that causes torrential rain for 2 weeks and a draw.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia:

Their path to the final has been jammier than a Henry Nicholls century. I've never seen a side benefit from so many dropped catches in a tournament. Would be a shame for a 7.5/10 team to win as PEWS pointed out. Plus, ew Australia.

India:
Whilst the last point against Australia is cancelled out by India being ew too, India has at least been a worthy side. The home side winning every world cup is an awful trend that needs to die too. But on the other hand, India winning can be discredited due to BCCI's meddling. India topping the group stage to lose another KO would be hilarious but unfortunately not worth being subject to 4 more years of bull**** about Australia's champion mindset.

On the whole, this is very much a matter of supporting the lesser of two evils so India because they're not Australia I guess.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
You can't win a home world cup without doctoring surfaces, everyone knows that. Should strip all the previous title holders post 2011 till 2019 or so!

Sunil1z

International Regular
You can't win a home world cup without doctoring surfaces, everyone knows that. Should strip all the previous title holders post 2011 till 2019 or so!
More than doctoring, all the home Teams are preparing 4 years for the Home WC . As a result it is becoming very difficult for outside team to win WC.