• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most underated and overated players

Waughney

International Debutant
Slats4ever said:
ah Bugger it Anil it's just a post wher people can say what they want about people who they like and don't like so here's my two cents

Over Rated:
Inzimam Ul-Haq
Steve Waugh (was)
Shaun Pollock
Glenn McGrath
Daniel Vettori
Sachin Tendulkar (He's not God)

Underrated:
Jason Gillespie
Michael Bevan (More Tests)
NSW (haha)
Jimmy Anderson
Jacques Kallis
And here I was thinking that you were going to put Slats in the underated list. You call yourself a true fan 8-) :p

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i was going to but that was a one night thing.. I'm fickle... The Slats phase lasted for about 2 days, just at the time I was signing up for this. Now it's all abuot Bevan

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Underrated from Australia =

Brad Hodge
Dave Hussey
Matthew Elliott
(note they are all smashing it around in county cricket at the moment)
Marcus North
Mark Cleary

Overrated
Damien Martyn
Stuart MacGill
Nathan Hauritz
Cameron White (atm but he will come good)

Linda

But seriously...

Overrated- Chaminda Vaas
Harbhajan Singh (huge possibility of a miss-spelling)
Andrew Symonds

Underrated- Marcus North
Yuvraj Singh
The Single Greatest Batsman in the World, Marto :yes:

Dasa

^spelling correct.
Why do you think Vaas and Harbhajan are overrated? Harbhajan I can understand, but Vaas?

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
With regards to the fact that his fielding is under-rated.
Fair enough. Not being from trinidad i clearly don't see as much of the great man, therefore my opinion is wrong.

Craig

World Traveller
Loony BoB said:
Overrated: Ian Butler
Underrated: Andre Ada-*shot by sniper*

Seriously, though... hrmm. Someone said Butcher was underrated and McMillan was overrated, yet McMillan isn't rated highly and Butcher is... Not sure how people are figuring these out.
Correction add Andre Adams to the over-rated list.

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
But seriously...

Overrated- Chaminda Vaas
Harbhajan Singh (huge possibility of a miss-spelling)
Andrew Symonds

Underrated- Marcus North
Yuvraj Singh
The Single Greatest Batsman in the World, Marto :yes:
You spelt Harbhajan correct.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Waughney said:
Overrated-Sourav Ganguly
Underrated-Stuart Macgill
Stuart Macgill is very much an overrated bowler.
In fact all Australian test bowlers other than the trio of Mcgrath, Gillespie and Warne are overrated.

Waughney

International Debutant
EnglishRose said:
Stuart Macgill is very much an overrated bowler.
In fact all Australian test bowlers other than the trio of Mcgrath, Gillespie and Warne are overrated.
Over the past season people have been bagging him consistently, he was just a bit out of form and down a bit from his flogging by the Indian team. I think people have jumped the gun in saying that he is overrated. Give him a while and he'll come good. Anyway the truth will come out during the coming october tour of India, this will be his true test and see if he is underrated or overrated.

Last edited:

Linda

tooextracool said:
struggles outside of home in tests.......underrated ODI bowler though
Yep, pretty much. Over the past few years especially, he's really done nothing outside of Sri Lanka (I'm not including the Zimbabwean 'Tests' for obvious reasons..!)

He was great in the World Cup, though.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Waughney said:
Over the past season people have been bagging him consistently, he was just a bit out of form and down a bit from his flogging by the Indian team. I think people have jumped the gun in saying that he is overrated. Give him a while and he'll come good. Anyway the truth will come out during the coming october tour of India, this will be his true test and see if he is underrated or overrated.
If he gets a game, and that's no certainty. He has copped a caning, and I have been one of the people who have been a bit harsh. I hope he proves me to be an idiot. It wouldn't be the first time.

Craig

World Traveller
People say Graeme Smith is over-rated (especially in Tests), but I disagree.

It is no secret about how strong he is through the leg side, but if bowler's bowl there, what is he supposed to do, block? It is like bowling short at Adam Gilchrist, of course he is going to hook and pull.

I have read comments by Neil and Marc in particular, how after he scored 277 and 259 v England, that when England learnt to bowl to him, he was not so great. But if it take's two Tests to work out how to a batsman, and after the amount of runs he had scored, I would be mightly concerned. In fact after he had scored 277 against you, I would have thought you would have worked where to bowl to somebody.

So it shows me the following things:

a) England's management are a bunch of amaturs (sp) and do not have computer video anaylysis technology;
b) They did work out where to bowl to him, but it in one ear and out the other in relation to England's bowlers.

And I saw on occasion when SA were in New Zealand, that he was looking at improving his major flaw.

Also I like his style of captaincy. He has shown me at this stage, if anybody is going to captain a South African side to beat Australia, he looks like the man.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
tooextracool said:
he has always had problems against quality spin bowling in the sub continent....his average on the last tour of india was a pathetic 3.40 and on the recent tour of SL, 33. while the one against SL isnt bad it is significantly lower than his career average which seems to bring out those 3 letter again.
Yes, 3.4 was terrible, but the 33 isn't bad if you take into account the fact that he was sawn off in 3 of his 6 innings (twice by umpires, once run out by Hayden).
His stats on the 99/00 Test tour of Sri Lanka make interesting reading. (253 runs @ 84). Scores of 96, 51, 1, 105*. Man of the series too.

Last edited: