• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

• All Blacks

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa cricket team

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • England cricket team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England football team

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, well from 1-0 up with 20 minutes, it was a bit of a choke, I suppose.

So we're technically crap, over-rated and chokers.

Almost enough to make me want to watch egg-chasing. Almost:ph34r:

I remember all those disasters too, WP. We only just qualifed in '82, too. In fact it was from another team losing when they should of won, hopefully it can be repeated(I'd hate to be denied another agonising exit on penalties, after all). Inability to pass the ball, and keep possesion is always our Achilles heel, has been as long as I remember.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember all those disasters too, WP. We only just qualifed in '82, too. In fact it was from another team losing when they should of won, hopefully it can be repeated(I'd hate to be denied another agonising exit on penalties, after all). Inability to pass the ball, and keep possesion is always our Achilles heel, has been as long as I remember.
I'd forgotten the 1982 qualifying campaign, but now you mention it ..
IIRC Switzerland winning in Romania opened a door for us after we'd lost in Switzerland, and Norway. The latter really was a bad as it gets, and no I wasn't remotely cheered up by their commentator's "Lord Nelson, Maggie Thatcher ..." routine

I'm feeling beter already.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
There are other options than pushing those shots back out towards the penalty spot.
As I said in the other thread, the angle of the shot makes that a lot harder than it looks. Only way he could push that to the side was by making contact with the side of the ball which obviously risks missing it altogether.

cpr

International Coach
Jimmy White in snooker. Really should've won at least one world title. Think he got to 6 finals in a row and lost them all (including a couple 18-17)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What was the biggest ever choke in golf or tennis?

Didn't Greg Norman once choke on a 10 shot lead in the Masters?
Poor Gregory led the US Masters by 6 shots going into the final round at Augusta in 1996.

He then proceeded to shoot 78 and lost by 5 - an 11 shot turnaround.

grecian

Didn't Greg Norman once choke on a 10 shot lead in the Masters?
It was a choke, but it does annoy me that Faldo's magnificent final round that put the pressure on Greg, hardly ever gets mentioned. Theres been worse cases in golf imho. Van de Velde the obvious won, tbh. Yet Sanders in the "Open" and Hoch in the Masters should be mentioned, tiddlers missed on what should of been the final hole.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It was a choke, but it does annoy me that Faldo's magnificent final round that put the pressure on Greg, hardly ever gets mentioned. Theres been worse cases in golf imho. Van de Velde the obvious won, tbh. Yet Sanders in the "Open" and Hoch in the Masters should be mentioned, tiddlers missed on what should of been the final hole.
Fair call about Faldo's final round - one of the finest final 18s in recent Major history. It doesn't alter the fact though that a player of Greg Norman's ability and experience should have been able to hold onto a six shot lead.

What magnified Norman's failings that day of course was the fact that it was simply the latest in a procession of instances where, through either his own choking, opponents playing the golf of their lives, bad luck, or a combination of all three, he'd managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

grecian

Fair call about Faldo's final round - one of the finest final 18s in recent Major history. It doesn't alter the fact though that a player of Greg Norman's ability and experience should have been able to hold onto a six shot lead.

What magnified Norman's failings that day of course was the fact that it was simply the latest in a procession of instances where, through either his own choking, opponents playing the golf of their lives, bad luck, or a combination of all three, he'd managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Well the fact that Norman only got two majors is a travesty. Yet I'm not sure he was that much of a choker, not a lot he could do about Mize and Tways ridiculous luck. Its still two more Majors then a real choker like Mrs Doubtfire.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the fact that Norman only got two majors is a travesty. Yet I'm not sure he was that much of a choker, not a lot he could do about Mize and Tways ridiculous luck. Its still two more Majors then a real choker like Mrs Doubtfire.
He should certainly have more than two - though your mention of Tway is an interesting one. This was in the 1986 PGA and it's a common misconception that Norman did absolutely nothing wrong, only to be robbed by Tway's amazing chip in on the final hole. The fact was, however, that Norman started that final round four shots clear, and then shot 76. It wasn't as though Tway's chip in came at the and of an amazing round of 64 or something, he hit a 70 that day. If Norman had just shot a nice, solid even-par 72 then he would have been in no trouble at all and Tway could have done what he liked on that final hole. Yep, Tway got lucky with the chip going in, but Norman should never have been in a position where that shot could have beaten him in the first place.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Jimmy White in snooker. Really should've won at least one world title. Think he got to 6 finals in a row and lost them all (including a couple 18-17)
Mentioned him myself before. I believe one year he had a fairly substancial lead and blew it.Can't remember how much he was ahead but my Dad tells me the story every time the World CChampionship comes around.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jana Novotna's jib at Wimbledon in the 1993 final must be biggest choke in tennis. She was serving @ 40-15 & 4-1 up in the final set (having taken the 2nd set 6-1) against Graf only for her arse to go completely & end up losing 6-4.

Round here she lives on as a verb: to Jana it means to choke badly.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mentioned him myself before. I believe one year he had a fairly substancial lead and blew it.Can't remember how much he was ahead but my Dad tells me the story every time the World CChampionship comes around.
92. Was 14-8 up over Hendry, then lost 18-14.

Also had a chance to clear up at 17-17 in 94, but ****ed up a simple black.

But as I replied before, the fact he didn't win more (not just in the World Championship) was that Davis and Hendry (and Reardon when White was starting out) were just better.

Mister Wright

We play ping pong at lunch games go to 11 with a lead of 2. Was leading 8-3 the other day and lost 11-9. That's a massive choke. Do it quite regularly tbh. I consider myself one of the biggest chokers in sport.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I needed to throw a 14 to stay in a game of Killer Darts once. Threw a ten.

Having said that, it wasn't actually a choke, just your bog-standard performance tbh. And it was on the wonderful day when they decided to combine New Year's Eve with a full programme in the English leagues (indeed, I think Owen broke his metawotsit that day) and we were away to Vale, just down the road, ten pints thanks please

cpr

International Coach
14 and 10 are opposite sides!

Yeah, White came up against some crackin players in his career, but 6 consecutive finals says he could more than hold his own against the best, the fact he lost all 6, including 2 he should've bagged, doesnt reflect well on him

cbuts

International Debutant
I think the only world cup the all blacks choked in was 1999, where we panicked. 2003 and 2007 we came up against opposition that had a clear tatic to beat us. I dont think the blacks played bad against France this time, France had 16 men plus their defence was amazing in that second half