• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the best 6 batsman in Australia now?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think if it were tested in a court the ECB probably don't have a leg to stand on, but I have NFI and it's not really worth the hassle.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He was certainly faster than medium pace last time I saw him bowl.

Admittedly this was 2, maybe 3 years ago in a televised OD game for whatever county he was playing for at the time (Glamorgan?)
In general, I think medium pace is an accurate way to describe Cosgrove's bowling. Sure, he'd have a bit of an effort ball, but yeah he's medium paced in my opinion and a quick look on Cricinfo suggests they think he's medium too.

I'd only expect him to bowl like 3-5 overs a day if the conditions suited him, but having that extra option of seam is always useful.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is this technically true? Surely Australia could pick him and it would be Yorks he was ineligible for? Or am I missing something?

(obviously it's immaterial anyway but)
Well he's not eligible as it stands; he could probably change his eligibility if he wanted, but at the moment he's not considered an Australian local player. Furthermore he has a contract with Yorkshire which I highly doubt has a national selection get-out clause; they could force him to honour it.

Mat111

Cricket Spectator
Here is the batting line up I would pick:

Warner
Watson
Clarke
Hodge
Rogers/Hughes
Dave Hussey
Haddin

And if I could I would put Michael Hussey in instead of his brother and put Ponting in for Rogers/Hughes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Been out of the Aussie FC loop for a while, so wondering why Shaun Marsh hasn't been mentioned?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Elaborating on that, why he hasn't been mentioned is because since he 'failed' at test level he went back to Shield and did **** all. Was dropped in the champions league for disciplinary reasons and then left out of the state side at the start of this season due to poor form. I think he's a bit like Usman in that it comes a bit too easy for him.

Anyway, since that point he found form in both Shield and limited overs formats which makes me believe, on face value, that he has turned the corner an is prepared to do the work behind the scenes.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, for Marsh to come back into the reckoning he'd need a good start to the next Shield season. You can tell he's a quality bat (despite the horror run), but after what he's done in the past 12 months you can't quite justify picking him, IMO.

If he was working hard in the ODI squad when he got recalled, he could well be in contention.

If we're looking for batsmen that weren't in the India squad, the top names would probably be Marsh, Voges, Burns, Cosgrove, Doolan, Bailey, Quiney and Ferguson (in no particular order). And none of them have hugely strong claims at the moment.

uvelocity

International Coach
if we had a strong side with a matching culture, he'd have used his last chance by now. in the current state of things he has yet another chance to prove himself

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm unsure whether Marsh has a technique that holds up on tough tracks - his only test century came at Colombo SSC. I don't particularly rate Voges either, similar to Dussey in that I don't think either have particularly good FC records recently that justify selection. Rogers, Burns, Doolan and Khawaja are the 4 leading batsmen in the shield right now I believe (bar Hussey/Ponting).