• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

White lines to aid umpires in LBW calls

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So you're seriously telling me that you think of all the appeals for leg before wicket in the 4 Test series, 40% resulted in the wrong decision being made?

:wow:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Heard some aussie say that all this could be solved if we gave third umpires the power to revert a bad decision.......

Absolute straight talking simplicity, and it would work....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cloete said:
no i don't think that's the case. i didn't mean it literally of course. u think i get soo ****ed off for sumthin so minor as that?? geez get a grip m8. it was a joke!!
Clearly I was right ... easily annoyed. :)

I think the smilie face generally indicates that I too was not serious.

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Clearly I was right ... easily annoyed. :)

I think the smilie face generally indicates that I too was not serious.
yeah i figured it was a joke.... but i wanted to post sumthin so i just posted that:P

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
So you're seriously telling me that you think of all the appeals for leg before wicket in the 4 Test series, 40% resulted in the wrong decision being made?

did you watch the series?? I think the standerd was much better in the last test but apart from that the LBW decisions were bloody awfull.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

Assuming an equal number of appeals at each end....

Maybe Asoka got 20% of his right after all :

100 - ((0.5 * 100) + (0.5 * 20)) = 40%

Works for me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
did you watch the series?? I think the standerd was much better in the last test but apart from that the LBW decisions were bloody awfull.
But you're saying that 6 out of 10 appeals had the wrong answer, which just cannot be true!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Heard the commentators today say that having white lines will help batsman know where there off stump is, and what balls to play and leave...

Very Valid point, i think this idea will be scrapped just as soon as it was created

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I still thing that the 40% is a ridiculous figure to pick out of the air.

I watched EVERY ball in the series and apart from inside edges on to pad (did he get bat on it or didn't he) there were about four decisions in the series which were clearly wrong to me at first glance (and a few others after 2 or 3 replays).

The inside edge types, you cannot do anything about (it's very noisy at Caribbean games so how is the umpire expected to hear two noises?) - but 40%?

You're saying that if the umpires (both of them in each game) had just tossed a coin, they would have only done a little worse.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
The inside edge types, you cannot do anything about (it's very noisy at Caribbean games so how is the umpire expected to hear two noises?) - but 40%?
Except of course for that blatant inside edge by Lara which was promptly given out.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
A classic case of jumping the gun - as is the Cricinfo headline this time around too. Way to score two own goals with the same story.

It has NOT been refused - they (the ICC) have said that the CC-P will make their recommendations after studying it 'under test conditions' - i.e. nets, practice matches and the like.

Once again, CricketWeb are right, Cricinfo are wrong. What's the score now, about 122-0?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Okay. Let's say nine wrong LBW decisions in the four-test series.

That means there were 13 correct LBW decisions if 40% is accurate.

Making a total of 22 LBW appeals in the entire series.

Let's have a look at the total number of LBW dismissals:
1st Test: WI 4, Aus 2, WI 4 = 10
2nd Test: Aus 2, WI 2, Aus 1, WI 3 = 8
3rd Test: Aus 1, WI 1, WI 4, Aus 1 = 7
4th Test: Aus 0, WI 1, Aus 0, WI 1 = 2
10+8+7+2 = 27 LBW dismissals.

We're already down to 33%, and when you add in the fact that there will have been at least as many LBW appeals that weren't given out, you have 9/54 (conservative estimate).

Which is 17% - maximum.

Eclipse?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm, this is madness, the ICC are looking at having three umpires on the field instead of two...

I have never heard so much b******* in my life.. Having Two umpires is bad enough and creates so much controversy, having three will just complicate matters even more....