• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which players will play their last test matches in the forthcoming ashes series

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Apparently Invers is keen on a right-left handed opening partnership. Cowan may well be overlooked.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Compton for England seems the most obvious. Of course it is dependent on him actually playing a test which is debateable at the moment. Bell and Pietersen are the outside punts for different reasons. Unlikely Bells gets canned this series but could well go after the series in Australia if he has a couple of mediocre series to go with his poor last couple of years. With it being the end of an ashes cycle England may decide to move on. Pietersen you never know might decide to just randomely chuck it in.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, look, nah.

Rogers/Warner? Rogers/Watson? Rogers/Hughes? The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
That doesn't mean they're not likely.

To my mind, they didn't decide to pick Rogers to sit on the sidelines and learn the game, he's there to play for sure. It then comes down to who's more likely to partner with him. Do you partner him with one of the similarly awkward nick-and-nudge lefties who can't buy a run at the moment or do you pick the bloke who's stopped bowling and specifically mentioned he'd love to open again, who seemingly has been given the golden ticket to everything without earning it named Watson?

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Cowan wouldn't be under so much pressure if the middle order actually consolidated on the solid starts he often makes, so instead everyone hounds him for not going on and making big scores. TBH If he made 30 every innings and saw off the new ball he would be just about doing his job.

Top_Cat

No he wouldn't. He was picked to score big tons because, for Tassie, he was doing exactly that. He was, in fact, picked specifically to shore up a faltering middle-lower order so that he's not, no he's not doing his job or even a job. If the Test side was looking for a bloke to numpty his way to 30 off 100+, they'd pick someone younger with room to develop or have stuck with Watson. He shouldn't get a pass because he's not outright failing.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
No he wouldn't. He was picked to score big tons because, for Tassie, he was doing exactly that. He was, in fact, picked specifically to shore up a faltering middle-lower order so that he's not, no he's not doing his job or even a job. If the Test side was looking for a bloke to numpty his way to 30 off 100+, they'd pick someone younger with room to develop or have stuck with Watson. He shouldn't get a pass because he's not outright failing.
That was what I thought his job should be, not what he was picked for, think about it, If we are say, 2/90 when Cowan gets out for 35, then the middle order have an excellent platform to launch from after lunch, I don't see why they need big runs from Cowan when they have Hughes and Warner in their who are all or nothing players. I figured the team needs someone who can consistently get off to a decent and solid start.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Agreed. Its fine to be dour and see off the new ball but you must then push on and score big for the team. He hasn't done that enough.

Top_Cat

That was what I thought his job should be, not what he was picked for, think about it, If we are say, 2/90 when Cowan gets out for 35, then the middle order have an excellent platform to launch from after lunch, I don't see why they need big runs from Cowan when they have Hughes and Warner in their who are all or nothing players. I figured the team needs someone who can consistently get off to a decent and solid start.
Nah, it's definitely what he was picked for. Like I said, if they only wanted a bloke to set the scene, there are better options.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, it's definitely what he was picked for. Like I said, if they only wanted a bloke to set the scene, there are better options.
Yeah I agree he was picked to score big, but who are the other options you speak of? Silk?

Top_Cat

Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
Wasn't Watson dropped down to give more time between bowling and batting ie low scores were supposed to be happening because he hadnt had enough time to get focused on batting after bowling

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
I'd be careful about that. Cowan came into the side when Watson was injured, and did OK against India. Had a couple of rough decisions but went OK. Then the most obvious person to drop from that side once Watson returned was Smarsh, so Watson moved into three. That's pretty much where he's batted since, until Hughes came in to replace Ponting, and as Hughes is a more natural opener, that's why he bats three and Watson four.

That's just how I see it anyway. I can see your gripe with Cowan. I personally would keep him, just because I think the alternatives aren't all that flash anyway. But I'd be careful about suggesting that Watson was moved down the order because they weren't happy with what he was doing at the top of the order. I think it was more just that they weren't displeased with what the other openers did when Watson was injured.

morgieb

I think Cowan shouldn't be in this thread. If he gets dropped, it'll be before the series, not during/after IMO.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Cowan shouldn't be in this thread. If he gets dropped, it'll be before the series, not during/after IMO.
So you are basically saying he will do well If he gets picked?

Think him and Compton are both prime candidates, neither is ever going to be entirely secure in the side. I would guess that both will play at Trent Bridge but neither will be there come Brisbane.

morgieb

So you are basically saying he will do well If he gets picked?

Think him and Compton are both prime candidates, neither is ever going to be entirely secure in the side. I would guess that both will play at Trent Bridge but neither will be there come Brisbane.
Well enough to keep his place or at least keep his name in contention. Not like we have that many better options.