• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which of these 90s English no rounders was your favourite?

Best of the worst?

• Total voters

ImpatientLime

International Regular
still think his best performance was at lords v the west indies in 2000. herculean on the final day there with the bat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
still think his (Cork's) best performance was at lords v the west indies in 2000. herculean on the final day there with the bat.
Yup, it was one of the ATG sub-50 innings.

For the record, he was great against WI with the ball in 1995, playing a vital part in the two tests that we won. iirc he took 7 wickets when we bowled them out in our first win, and took a hat-trick to set up the second one.

But definitely a bowler who could bat rather than any claims to be an all-rounder.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yup, it was one of the ATG sub-50 innings.

For the record, he was great against WI with the ball in 1995, playing a vital part in the two tests that we won. iirc he took 7 wickets when we bowled them out in our first win, and took a hat-trick to set up the second one.

But definitely a bowler who could bat rather than any claims to be an all-rounder.
yeah i think this was talked about the other day in another thread, but that innings alone has 3 claims on the best sub 50 innings of all time.

atherton 45
vaughan 41
cork 33*

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i think this was talked about the other day in another thread, but that innings alone has 3 claims on the best sub 50 innings of all time.

atherton 45
vaughan 41
cork 33*
It was indeed.

The other innings I always throw into that discussion is Thorpe 's 32* in the final test in the 2001 tour of SL, when we were making an almighty hash of chasing not very many. Presumably the ball was turning square and our hosts did have a decent offie whose name escapes me.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, White was probably the best all-round package among that lot. Strangly he struggled to get a game for a while in the late 90's. There's England's selection policies for ya.
Not that strange - he was useless in the 8 Tests he played in the 90s.

Incidentally, one of the worst "all-rounders" England picked in the 90s would be Botham.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig White was my favourite, Chris Lewis my least favourite as he had as much talent as Botham, Flintoff and Stokes but just couldn't be bothered.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig White was the worst of the lot in the 90s - was a hell of a player in the noughties though - off hand I can't think of anyone else who has been through quite such a remarkable transformation

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Craig White was the worst of the lot in the 90s - was a hell of a player in the noughties though - off hand I can't think of anyone else who has been through quite such a remarkable transformation
Didn't he have a wack on the head, after which he was a much better bowler?

And it helped that when he came back into the side he wasn't batting in the top 6, which had been one of Illingworth's sillier calls.

fredfertang

Didn't he have a wack on the head, after which he was a much better bowler?

And it helped that when he came back into the side he wasn't batting in the top 6, which had been one of Illingworth's sillier calls.
That's right - there was something along those lines, although I'm not quite sure how that gave him a couple of yards of extra pace, but I certainly recall the revised edition being distinctly sharp

mr_mister

Englishmen must be really good at great sub-50 innings
Don't forget Crofts 3 hour 37*to save a test

And Russell's 5 hour 29* to save another

Man England were in that fight for a draw position a lot back then

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
nothing pleases an englisman in sporting terms more than a heroic salvaged draw or a loss where your team went down fighting.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Don't forget Crofts 3 hour 37*to save a test

And Russell's 5 hour 29* to save another

Man England were in that fight for a draw position a lot back then

Yeah, we had a fair bit of practice.

That being said, those knocks mentioned earlier were in wins.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is the biggest Richard bait I've seen in the 7 (SEVEN!!) years since he stopped posting.

Anyone who has him on FB or whatever should send him this link.