• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is more likely to regress to minnow status?

Which is more likely to regress to minnow status?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • West Indies

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Both

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • AN Other (South Africa? Pakistan? Please specify)

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
More like since 90s . In 80s WI, ENG and Pak all beat us .
Which is about par as compared to Oz, Eng & NZ as well? Besides we had a team on decline in that decade, we probably peaked around 84-85 & then went really downhill. In the decades from 70-99 IIRC we lost the least amount of home series & post 2k there's really no comparison.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Reason SL and WI are being considered as minnows is not just because of their decline in recent years/decade, but also because they are expected to get worse and remain poor in Tests for the foreseeable future.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I only recently found out that Jadeja's top score is 175 which was against SL that he achieved last year.

Such is the lack of interest in a Test series involving SL or WI, that I didn't even know that the series above existed (SL in India in 2022).

Why would most people even bother with such a series when series outcome 100% certain. Thesedays SL actually don't even stand a chance of 'coming close' in a test in India, forget about winning it.

(ftr they have 0 test wins in India & Aus in their history)

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
I only recently found out that Jadeja's top score is 175 which was against SL that he achieved last year.

Such is the lack of interest in a Test series involving SL or WI, that I didn't even know that the series above existed (SL in India in 2022).

Why would most people even bother with such a series when series outcome 100% certain. Thesedays SL actually don't even stand a chance of 'coming close' in a test in India, forget about winning it.

SL also won in RSA in 2019 something a much more vaunted India failed to do. They lost in 2020 but it doesn't change the fact that yeah SL are weak relative to India (and Australia) but every now and then they can pull off a surprise or two.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That SL series win was down to one man performing a miracle knock

Don Kusal Perera. Remember the name

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

And the same Srilanka stand a good chance of getting into the WTC final this year, which is shocking to me too.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
And the same Srilanka stand a good chance of getting into the WTC final this year, which is shocking to me too.
They will end up nowhere close. Mark my words.

WTC percentage is very volatile due to there being not many tests in a cycle, so if SL loses 2-0 in NZ, their tally will drop below 45%, I suspect. That will put them in 6th position!

Thats all it takes to go all the way up or down!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
They won 2-0. I remember it was the bowling and Mendis that won them the second test.
1st time around matches were played on different venues (& pitches) to the typical South African venues (& pitches). Hence why SL got thrashed the 2nd time around in 2019/20.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I wish the WTC was 4 years long. It would then cover both home and away and remove most variances.

At the end of 4 years, we are far more likely to arrive at the best 2 teams of that period.

Then it would be fun to have a 3 or 4 match series between those 2 sides in a neutral country across different venues to decide the true winner.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Having said that, WTC in its present state is good for the majority (as it keeps things exciting for everyone) as it gives even the lower ranked teams a chance of qualification. They can rack up wins at home, and also away to other lower ranked teams to give themselves a fair chance.

subshakerz

International Coach
General state of test cricket today is poorer, let us be honest compared to the nineties and 2000s. Things are competitive but the relative quality of mid-tier teams has dropped.

The only strong teams are India, England and Aust. SA is in rebuilding phase. NZ have slipped from their previously better standards. WI, Pak and SL are weak even by mid-tier standards.

Generally, there was always 2-3 standout teams at any point but the mid-tier teams were normally fairly strong at home and had 2-3 worldclass players to make things interesting.

Flem274*

123/5
General state of test cricket today is poorer, let us be honest compared to the nineties and 2000s. Things are competitive but the relative quality of mid-tier teams has dropped.

The only strong teams are India, England and Aust. SA is in rebuilding phase. NZ have slipped from their previously better standards. WI, Pak and SL are weak even by mid-tier standards.

Generally, there was always 2-3 standout teams at any point but the mid-tier teams were normally fairly strong at home and had 2-3 worldclass players to make things interesting.
I disagree. The top end was higher but you also had plenty of pressure release valves in the Bangers, a collapsing Zimbabwe through the 00s and the likes of the WI and NZ bowling attacks of the late 00s.

Cricket always thinks its getting worse but I think the biggest game changer has been DRS and greater pitch variety. Spin bowling is absolutely vicious now because you have to use your bat. It might be the best time to be a spinner since they covered the pitches.

If you mean the standard is lower this week, then yeah agreed. Some teams need to clear out some dead weight (SA, NZ, Ind, Warner) and others have bigger problems than cricket right now (SL).

subshakerz

International Coach
I disagree. The top end was higher but you also had plenty of pressure release valves in the Bangers, a collapsing Zimbabwe through the 00s and the likes of the WI and NZ bowling attacks of the late 00s.

Cricket always thinks its getting worse but I think the biggest game changer has been DRS and greater pitch variety. Spin bowling is absolutely vicious now because you have to use your bat. It might be the best time to be a spinner since they covered the pitches.

If you mean the standard is lower this week, then yeah agreed. Some teams need to clear out some dead weight (SA, NZ, Ind, Warner) and others have bigger problems than cricket right now (SL).
Spin bowling was better in the nineties and 2000s era.

WI has been consistently poor since the early 2000s true.

Point is SA, Pak and SL are probably at their lowest ebb in decades, and NZ has also slipping.

The top end may even be higher now but the mid-tier quality is pretty ordinary.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I can see a future where the West Indies concept ceases to exist and all the islands start playing under their own flag. A few of these would be legit minnows. Maybe Barbados, T&T, Jamaica and Guyana could hold their own with the weakest full members/top associates.

Realistically for this to happen the ICC would have to open up Tests and ODI status to the whole world, but if they do I cannot see the West Indies lasting much longer
it will never happen. there is understandably a lack of pride in playing for the west indies because it is not a bloody country but they would not self sabotage themselves to that level.