• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is more likely to regress to minnow status?

Which is more likely to regress to minnow status?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • West Indies

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Both

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • AN Other (South Africa? Pakistan? Please specify)

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortpitched713

International Captain
I was just thinking and waxing nostalgic to a time when there were 8, roughly equally competitive nations in both Test and ODI cricket. It was a time that lasted for a very brief window, but looking back it was something of a nirvana.

In contrast now, it feels like an increasingly stratified International cricket landscape, with haves and have nots growing increasingly further apart. In that context I ask, are either of Sri Lanka or the West Indies going to regress to minnow status, and if so which one?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
ICC Test championship we are at #3
ICC test championship is a made up tournament with uneven draw and irregular no.of matches played. Eg stronger teams are playing far more matches against each other, making it easier for the teams ranked 7 to have an outside chance! So that no.3 position is BS.

Anyone watching lanka knows that they are a minnow now and are rightly ranked 7th.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bangers - minnow away - test standard at home barely
West Indies - minnow away - test standard at home
Sri Lanka - minnow away - decent test standard at home

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't agree really. While there are few stars, the teams are good enough to challenge some very strong touring sides.

I think right now the top 6 teams on average are a higher standard than normal and it skews our perspective a bit. Certainly the last 5 or so years is the best NZ has ever been. Pak/SA aren't a complete and powerful XI but have some fantastic players. India and Australia are strong all round and English cricket has sort of found their own little renaissance with Bazball.