• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is more likely to regress to minnow status?

Which is more likely to regress to minnow status?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • West Indies

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Both

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • AN Other (South Africa? Pakistan? Please specify)

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
All 3 are big minnows away. And are barely test standard at home. Bangladesh probably not even test standard.

Sri Lanka beats mostly only fellow minnows at home (Bangers, WI, Zim). They can't win a series at home against any big nation (Ind, Aus, Eng) or even other test standard nations. At best, they can win a test.

All their series wins have come against Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or West Indies. This is a fact. I wouldn't class them as decent standard at home... They are just about test standard at home. Because home teams are always expected to win series , such is the home advantage usually.

Athlai

Not Terrible
All 3 are big minnows away. And are barely test standard at home. Bangladesh probably not even test standard.

Sri Lanka beats mostly only fellow minnows at home (Bangers, WI, Zim). They can't win a series at home against any big nation (Ind, Aus, Eng) or even other test standard nations. At best, they can win a test.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh drew a series in NZ
SL managed a draw against Aus at home with a pretty meh side
WI remain a thorn in Englands side
SA beat a pretty strong India at home

I don't think all of these are results minnows can achieve. Prima facie I'd say WI have the highest chance of further regression, but they've been consistenly eh for a while now so nothing's likely to change despite the emergence of a couple of decent players of late.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia won't survive Steve Smith's retirement
England will get found out
India can't hide behind raging turners forever

Everyinw else is already a minnow.. ??‍♂??‍♂??‍♂??‍♂

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thrashed Oz last year
Best they could do was draw a series at home with as favourable pitches as they could possibly make that Aus would be the worst on. Even Bangladesh could do that. Then when they tour Aus they would actually get thrashed, like proper thrashed, every game. Genuine minnows.

subshakerz

International Coach
Thankfully the collective mediocrity and weakness of the mid-tier teams today will ensure no team can fall too far behind the others.

Just when you think one team is sinking badly, another team will begin to lose also.

cnerd123

likes this
I can see a future where the West Indies concept ceases to exist and all the islands start playing under their own flag. A few of these would be legit minnows. Maybe Barbados, T&T, Jamaica and Guyana could hold their own with the weakest full members/top associates.

Realistically for this to happen the ICC would have to open up Tests and ODI status to the whole world, but if they do I cannot see the West Indies lasting much longer

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WI were embarrassingly bad in Oz this summer and no better than a good club team

Confident in my belief that they wouldn’t win a game in the state competitions

SL would be the same or worse

shortpitched713

International Captain
Thankfully the collective mediocrity and weakness of the mid-tier teams today will ensure no team can fall too far behind the others.

Just when you think one team is sinking badly, another team will begin to lose also.
If everyone loses, aren't we all winners?

Edit: Sorry, I'm trying this new CW Cricket Chat self-help affirmative psychology thing. Let me know if it's making an impact for you.

Slifer

International Captain
WI were embarrassingly bad in Oz this summer and no better than a good club team

Confident in my belief that they wouldn’t win a game in the state competitions

SL would be the same or worse
So? All teams who've been to Australia outside of India have been thoroughly dispatched. Didn't RSA lose a test in 2 days?

If WI are a club side so are RSA, England etc. The nerve...