• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian team do you think will win in a 5 test series ?

Which team do you think will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why are you so scared of pain. Like, I get that being hit and getting broken bones hurt, and it takes courage to face that, but is the physical pain of an injury really so much worse than the emotional pain of being made to look helpless at the one thing you've spent your whole life training to do by a guy who looks like he just got off his desk at an accounting firm? And in front of millions of people at that, with essentially your career and your income on the line?

Atleast with a Mitchell Johnson everyone sympathises with your struggles because it looks so dangerous. And if you get hit, you can then stop batting, go off injured, and tend to your wounds while everyone calls you a hero for being willing to cop a blow. What is your way out when a spinner has your number? How do you salvage your ego then? And these are elite athletes we're talking about- their pride and ego is a big part of what makes them who they are.

To me they both are fascinating battles in very different ways. The lack of a physical threat doesn't make one inferior to the other IMO. If anything it just adds an extra layer of humiliation to a batsman's struggles - they can't just prove their bravery and walk off with some credit to mask their lack of skill.
You’re only saying this because you have the shoulders of a rattle snake.

There are skills associated with facing both types of bowling, but the addition of the physical threat is what brings the rush and, frankly, the masculinity to batting. Facing a quick is getting a cut throat shave, dealing with spinners is the new Gillette ad.

Daemon

James Clouderson actually

The English have been watching quietly from the sidelines. Time to involve them in this ****posting.

trundler

As a huge McGrath fan, I must say Malcolm Marshall was the epitome of fast bowling. That label may be overused and devoid of meaning at this point but hear me out. Marshall was all that makes fast bowling a great spectacle and what makes it mightily effective virtually everywhere in every situation, unlike inferior skills like finger spin. Obviously every top level athlete, and ATG ones no less, would realistically be capable of executing every required skill (unless you're a 'bowler' from the land of Abay Kurivilla and Vinay Kumar). You can't be dumb, can't be one dimensional, can't inaccurate and so on. But Marshall was truly exceptional in this regard. In my perception a cross between Steyn's explosiveness (that SR in the 80s?!) and McGrath's consistency (look at those yearly averages ffs). Now don't me wrong, if you combined McGrath and Steyn into one bowler you'd get an unstoppable demigod who would average in the teens and basically be the Bradman of fast bowling. Just saying he had a bit of all that makes his most deserving rivals great (Hadlee, McGrath and Steyn). Look at Kanpur, Old Trafford 88' (when England doctored a spin friendly wicket but Marshall wrecked them anyway lol), Lahore 86' etc and tell me he wasn't God mode Steyn-esque but you'll be hard pressed to find times when he had the living **** beaten out of him as KP did to Steyn. That's McGrath-like. Just watch footage of him and you'll come to realize what a shrewd tactician he was - an aspect of WI's pacers greatness, especially Garner that is underrated. Results are all that matter though, and whilst he doesn't Bradmanesquely outdo his rivals, he sure was ****ing awesome in every way, in terms of traits great fast bowlers exemplify.

sunilz

International Regular
Not really, given their records in, you know, England.
Please don't respond to my post if you can't even read properly . When i have clearly mentioned , above players where good in only 2 to 3 countries , it was obvious that all the 3 countries were in Asia . Talking about average in England , Ganguly averages 66 there . I am pretty sure you consider him ATG .

Kirkut

International Regular
As a huge McGrath fan, I must say Malcolm Marshall was the epitome of fast bowling. That label may be overused and devoid of meaning at this point but hear me out. Marshall was all that makes fast bowling a great spectacle and what makes it mightily effective virtually everywhere in every situation, unlike inferior skills like finger spin. Obviously every top level athlete, and ATG ones no less, would realistically be capable of executing every required skill (unless you're a 'bowler' from the land of Abay Kurivilla and Vinay Kumar). You can't be dumb, can't be one dimensional, can't inaccurate and so on. But Marshall was truly exceptional in this regard. In my perception a cross between Steyn's explosiveness (that SR in the 80s?!) and McGrath's consistency (look at those yearly averages ffs). Now don't me wrong, if you combined McGrath and Steyn into one bowler you'd get an unstoppable demigod who would average in the teens and basically be the Bradman of fast bowling. Just saying he had a bit of all that makes his most deserving rivals great (Hadlee, McGrath and Steyn). Look at Kanpur, Old Trafford 88' (when England doctored a spin friendly wicket but Marshall wrecked them anyway lol), Lahore 86' etc and tell me he wasn't God mode Steyn-esque but you'll be hard pressed to find times when he had the living **** beaten out of him as KP did to Steyn. That's McGrath-like. Just watch footage of him and you'll come to realize what a shrewd tactician he was - an aspect of WI's pacers greatness, especially Garner that is underrated. Results are all that matter though, and whilst he doesn't Bradmanesquely outdo his rivals, he sure was ****ing awesome in every way, in terms of traits great fast bowlers exemplify.
Good point that he had a bit of everything. I come across a lot of cricket forums and old timers who claim Marshall was as fast as Akhtar or bowled at 150 kmph, I don't think so. He was brisk without being express fast and also had very diverse skills which made him the best.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Ok

trundler

Certainly as fast at his fastest as peak Lillee end Steyn, I would say. Fast enough to shatter a nose. Certainly express but maybe not Andy Roberts or Akhtar level. I don't buy the 'Lillee did what McGrath did but faster so he was better' nonsense argument, nor that being a whatever a 'complete' bowler is supposed to be is necessary but damn, he had some X factor and consistency.

Kirkut

International Regular
Why are you so scared of pain. Like, I get that being hit and getting broken bones hurt, and it takes courage to face that, but is the physical pain of an injury really so much worse than the emotional pain of being made to look helpless at the one thing you've spent your whole life training to do by a guy who looks like he just got off his desk at an accounting firm? And in front of millions of people at that, with essentially your career and your income on the line?

Atleast with a Mitchell Johnson everyone sympathises with your struggles because it looks so dangerous. And if you get hit, you can then stop batting, go off injured, and tend to your wounds while everyone calls you a hero for being willing to cop a blow. What is your way out when a spinner has your number? How do you salvage your ego then? And these are elite athletes we're talking about- their pride and ego is a big part of what makes them who they are.

To me they both are fascinating battles in very different ways. The lack of a physical threat doesn't make one inferior to the other IMO. If anything it just adds an extra layer of humiliation to a batsman's struggles - they can't just prove their bravery and walk off with some credit to mask their lack of skill.
Overcoming physical threat should not be a relevant criteria in any sport apart from mma/boxing. We take vulnerabilities of human body too casually.

trundler

Expect only ***** to absurdly equate not middling it and potentially never walking again.

trundler

I don't think that the physical danger should be romanticised under the guise of masculinity, mind you. Not wearing a helmet is ****ing stupid, not brave. And bowling with Intent to injure is cowardice IMO. Fast bowling is great because it is the most testing and entertaining.