• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Football (Soccer) team do you support?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And for everyone that "Supports" a Man Utd or Liverpool as opposed to their local team8-)
What about those who've moved around the country and have had 3 or 4 local teams and no affinity with any? What about those whose local team plays in the D Division West?

chalky

International Debutant
What about those who've moved around the country and have had 3 or 4 local teams and no affinity with any? What about those whose local team plays in the D Division West?
So what gives them an affinity with Man Utd or Liverpool?

In 99% of cases I dare say there is a football league or Premiership relatively local (i.e. more local than one of the big teams).

I should have qualified my statement a bit more really though.

Obviously if there is a long standing family support, or you have moved away from the area then I can understand following the big club. But for me supporting means actually trying to go to some matches and you know actually support your team. What I don't get is those who live miles away from the club they "support", have never seen a game live never mind go regularly yet try & revel in the clubs' success. I would call it glory following.

I don't know anyone can feel anything for a club that you don't see regularly if at all. You get the emtional attachment from going to the ground experiencing the atmosphere living every moment of the game with your mates next to you. I think you will this attidue is quite common of people who support less fashionable clubs.

For all thoses glory followers who never get to see the game live I pity you because no matter how many league titles or european cups your team wins it will never be as good as Hartlepool Utd beating the Darlo scum 3-0 last year, Why? Because I was there.

cpr

International Coach
Hate going to Watch United, not had good form of it lately. Was there when we lost to Portsmouth in the cup, There for the draw with Reading, there when we lost in Milan. Only time i've been and seen us win in the last 12 months was against Derby.

Have actually been to a game at OT and seen us lose to Derby n all. Paolo Wanchope on his debut got 2.....

Best moment for mine at OT was against Maccabi Haifa, we get a last min penalty in front of the Stretford End, where i was sat (was about 3 rows above the crossbar, dead centre). Beckham steps up, crowd bursts out in unison 'DIEGO!!!' as the useless Uruguayan woman hadnt scored for us by then. Beckham starts laughing and chucks the ball to Forlan..... Have to say when he struck that pen, my first reaction was to duck, not cheer.

Unfortunately i no longer have my 'I saw Forlan score' T-shirt....

chalky

International Debutant
Hate going to Watch United, not had good form of it lately. Was there when we lost to Portsmouth in the cup, There for the draw with Reading, there when
Best moment for mine at OT was against Maccabi Haifa, we get a last min penalty in front of the Stretford End, where i was sat (was about 3 rows above the crossbar, dead centre). Beckham steps up, crowd bursts out in unison 'DIEGO!!!' as the useless Uruguayan woman hadnt scored for us by then. Beckham starts laughing and chucks the ball to Forlan..... Have to say when he struck that pen, my first reaction was to duck, not cheer.

Unfortunately i no longer have my 'I saw Forlan score' T-shirt....
Quality mate. I bet that experience stays with you longer than any match on TV.

Who would have guessed how good Forlan would be in spain??? Defied belief.

I don't think he would have ever scored in open play in England though if Dudek hadn't have thrown 2 in the net at Anfield.

cpr

International Coach
He went on a right run at one stage, was on fire. Thats when he was starting regulaly through others injuries. Went back to the bench and it dried up. Really was a player who needed that confidence and run of play to get the best out of him. Never gonna get that in the English game not at a big club, the mentality is different in Spain, hence why he's done so well. Always looked to have the skill, just needed the brain in gear.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

In 99% of cases I dare say there is a football league or Premiership relatively local (i.e. more local than one of the big teams).

Obviously if there is a long standing family support, or you have moved away from the area then I can understand following the big club. But for me supporting means actually trying to go to some matches and you know actually support your team. What I don't get is those who live miles away from the club they "support", have never seen a game live never mind go regularly yet try & revel in the clubs' success. I would call it glory following.

I don't know anyone can feel anything for a club that you don't see regularly if at all. You get the emtional attachment from going to the ground experiencing the atmosphere living every moment of the game with your mates next to you. I think you will this attidue is quite common of people who support less fashionable clubs.

For all thoses glory followers who never get to see the game live I pity you because no matter how many league titles or european cups your team wins it will never be as good as Hartlepool Utd beating the Darlo scum 3-0 last year, Why? Because I was there.
See, this is what annoys me. I know you've said you should've qualified your statement, and good on you, as that's just what I mean - too often people group those like me in with glory-seekers. Yes, there's &%$£loads of glory-seekers who support us, but it is not even close to being the case that everyone who doesn't live in Manchester and supports Man Utd is a glory-seeker. And the way so many people talk, it is. It's ridiculous. The second you answer the "who do you support?" question to a non-Man Utd fan you almost always get the "uh, another glory-seeker" look or thought (and you can tell when they're thinking it). I hate it, I really do.

I'd go to Old Trafford more often if I could afford to and had the chance. But I don't and don't. That's just the way life works.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Liverpool FC

Surprised there aren't many Liverpool fans on this forum though........
Dont worry, I'm with you. Its us against the world.

Started following Football from France '98, and was amazed by the Michael Owen goal. Me and my friends started following EPL after the WC. Man U lifted the treble in 99 and everyone of my friends (and most people of my agegroup) jumped on the Man Utd bandwagon. It was agonizing for me...as I had already fallen in love with LFC's tradition, the fans, the players, the songs, the history, the european nights, the ups & downs...all of it.

C'mon The Reds!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
In which case I would agree.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater

8-)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I'd love to support Mahindra United, being one of what, one spectator in the stands.
I'm not saying that you cant count yourself a fan if you dont go to all the games etc.. etc.. but I can understand what he says when he mentions fans who rave about how wonderful <insert team> are, and how great all the players are etc... when in effect they have just picked a hugely successful team out of thin air and claim to be one of the most passionate fans going.

Please note i'm not accusing Xavier of this.

cpr

International Coach
In fairness Rose, Chalky raises a decent point.
yeah, he does tbf. Though i dont think it applies as much to foreign fans who support united as their 'english team' so to speak, though have to say i'd be surprised if they wernt supporting a team in their own nation n all, no matter what standard the league is. (fair few carribbean players have hit the prem over the years tbh)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The second you answer the "who do you support?" question to a non-Man Utd fan you almost always get the "uh, another glory-seeker" look or thought (and you can tell when they're thinking it). I hate it, I really do.
Should've picked a better team then.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I'm not saying that you cant count yourself a fan if you dont go to all the games etc.. etc.. but I can understand what he says when he mentions fans who rave about how wonderful <insert team> are, and how great all the players are etc... when in effect they have just picked a hugely successful team out of thin air and claim to be one of the most passionate fans going.

Please note i'm not accusing Xavier of this.
I say that all the time to the sport fans I meet here. I've grown to hate Manchester United and Michael Schumacher because of the exact type of fans you've described there.

One thing to be considered though, one of closest friends supports Chelsea, always has ever since I convinced him that Zola was awesome. He gets a lot of flak from United fans for being a glory-hunter (the irony never fails to makes me laugh) when in actuality, he's supported them through some pretty rough times. Well, I guess you wouldn't call regular top-half finishes in the Premiership a rough time, but considering we only get shown top-flight football, he's been pretty loyal. I'm sure the number of this type of fan is pretty low, but they exist.

To be honest, I think the people who support clubs just because they aren't big are worse.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Man Citeh. I was about 10 and got given one of their jersey's by my aunt who was in England and have followed since. That's probably not a great reason but I live a thousand kilometers away, that's about all I have.

Also follow Bradford as a second team, though not really that closely. Used to like Chievo Verona back when I could watch regular Italian football.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
QLD Roar- 08/09 A-League Champions, you read it here first.

Liverpool & Everton in the EPL though because of the Kewell/Cahill connection. Sadly the Kewell connection is all but over :( Gutted he was never able to produce his best football for Liverpool apart from one 6 months stint. Would've carved up the left good and proper if not for injury imo.

Agree with Chalky btw