• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which current players will score a Test 300?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Kallis doesn't even have a double, does he?
That surprises me, although you're probably right. But I could still see him batting long enough some time.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Let's not get into an argument about SRT's mental capabilities.

Someone mentioned Gilchrist earlier - I think if he does it would have to be in an absolutely gigantic total, like 800+, because he would need one of the top order to stay with him and score at least 150-200 or he would run out of partners. He scores quickly but he would still need to face 300-350 balls, and that means those at the other end have to face the same amount, give or take 50 balls. Can't see Warne, Lee, Gillespie and McGrath sticking around for that long.

Don't think Lara will ever do it again - the first thing that goes with age is stamina and the ability to bat for 10 hours plus, which is what you need to do for a triple.

Dravid is a nailed-on certainty to do it in my view - some days you are just never going to get the man out, no matter who you are or what you do.
On Gilchrist my guess would be it would take much less than 300-350 balls for him..

I would say about 220-280 he really clicks it up a gear once he gets past 100.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
On Gilchrist my guess would be it would take much less than 300-350 balls for him..

I would say about 220-280 he really clicks it up a gear once he gets past 100.
Dont know if he will get it. But boy, if he does , it will be a feast for the Gods !!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
That surprises me, although you're probably right. But I could still see him batting long enough some time.
Yeah, his highest score is 189* vs Zimbabwe in 2001. Notice he took a long time to do it. He wasn't going anywhere! In fact, if he'd been feeling more aggressive and was in for just as long it's almost a certainty that he would have got a triple-century.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cbuts said:
Of the current crop of Test match players who have not as yet scored a Test match triple century (there are lots of them!) who do people think will go on to score one?
Bah! There you go assuming that people actually read the first post. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Realistically, I think you can probably forget anyone who normally bats below 4. Although it's possible of course, I think there's little chance of the likes of Flintoff or Gilchrist. They're just not the right 'type' of player.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Realistically, I think you can probably forget anyone who normally bats below 4. Although it's possible of course, I think there's little chance of the likes of Flintoff or Gilchrist. They're just not the right 'type' of player.
Bradman scored a triple century at number 5 and another 270 at number 7.

More recently, Akram scored 257 not out at number 8. Akram had crossed 250 with 3 wickets still in hand. The last three fell for 3 runs. He had a realistic chance of getting a triple at number 8 !

Its a funny game. Actually if there is a big time batsman with a lower down batsman stuck in, then the proportion of runs scored by the senior player is very high. Saqlain scored only 79 in a 339 run partnership.

Then again, Akram is hardly the player one would associate with a 250 plus score !

Barney Rubble

International Coach
A 257* at no8 is incredible, I wouldn't have thought that would ever happen.

Someone mentioned Strauss - I wouldn't back against him doing it actually, he has the powers of concentration certainly.

Does anyone know what the fastest first-class triple century is? Hodge's effort off 280 balls must be up there. Ian Blackwell could have done it for Somerset last year, he was 247* off 156 balls I think, with 11 sixes, but he ran out of partners. Somerset racked up 420 in about 55 overs!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Bradman scored a triple century at number 5 and another 270 at number 7.

More recently, Akram scored 257 not out at number 8. Akram had crossed 250 with 3 wickets still in hand. The last three fell for 3 runs. He had a realistic chance of getting a triple at number 8 !

Its a funny game. Actually if there is a big time batsman with a lower down batsman stuck in, then the proportion of runs scored by the senior player is very high. Saqlain scored only 79 in a 339 run partnership.

Then again, Akram is hardly the player one would associate with a 250 plus score !
It is a funny game, as you say.

There's a photograph which used to hang in the Ilkeston pavilion which showed no's 10 and 11 both scoring centuries - but such feats are rarities for obvious reasons.

That's why I used words like 'realistically', 'probably' and 'possibly'.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
A 257* at no8 is incredible, I wouldn't have thought that would ever happen.

Someone mentioned Strauss - I wouldn't back against him doing it actually, he has the powers of concentration certainly.

Does anyone know what the fastest first-class triple century is? Hodge's effort off 280 balls must be up there. Ian Blackwell could have done it for Somerset last year, he was 247* off 156 balls I think, with 11 sixes, but he ran out of partners. Somerset racked up 420 in about 55 overs!
I could be wrong but Compton scored something close to a triple (if not a triple) in 181 balls (or was it 181 minutes ) :happy:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Yeah, his (Kallis) highest score is 189* vs Zimbabwe in 2001. Notice he took a long time to do it. He wasn't going anywhere! In fact, if he'd been feeling more aggressive and was in for just as long it's almost a certainty that he would have got a triple-century.
After my last post, I thought about Mark Taylor who hit a triple in Pakistan but hadn't previously managed a double for about 10 years. I suppose with Kallis, I think he's good enough and in the right conditions and against some of the current attacks he could just keep going. The other factor is that the SA lower order are good enough to stick with him.

Craig

World Traveller
I would be mightly surprised if Kallis quits without one double century. I don't think somebody like Colin Cowdery got one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
I could be wrong but Compton scored something close to a triple (if not a triple) in 181 balls (or was it 181 minutes ) :happy:
It was 181 minutes in a Tour game at Benoni.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'm forgetting the big one - the 300 in Lara's 501* came off 278 balls, with the 501 coming off only 427. Being only six years old at the time, I had no idea he had done it so quickly - on the last day, having started on 111*, at more than a run a ball. 390 runs in a day, most teams struggle to manage that.

I guess he wins the award for the quickest 500! :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I'm forgetting the big one - the 300 in Lara's 501* came off 278 balls, with the 501 coming off only 427. Being only six years old at the time, I had no idea he had done it so quickly - on the last day, having started on 111*, at more than a run a ball. 390 runs in a day, most teams struggle to manage that.

I guess he wins the award for the quickest 500! :laugh:
and the slowest :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
It is a funny game, as you say.

There's a photograph which used to hang in the Ilkeston pavilion which showed no's 10 and 11 both scoring centuries - but such feats are rarities for obvious reasons.

That's why I used words like 'realistically', 'probably' and 'possibly'.
I think it was two touring Indians, Shute Bannerjee and Chandu Sarwate who both scored 100's on the tour to England in a first class game batting at 10 and 11. I think its the only such instance in 1st class cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sehwag reached his triple century at Multan off 364 balls - the third fastest triple century in terms of balls faced after England's Wally Hammond and Australia's Matthew Hayden. Hayden's triple hundred came off 362 balls during his world record 380 v Zimbabwe at Perth in October 2003. Authentic information is not available about the balls taken by Wally Hammond to complete his triple hundred against New Zealand at Auckland in 1932-33, but it is estimated that he took near about 355 balls to do so.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1946/IND_IN_ENG/IND_SURREY_11-13MAY1946.html - Sarwate 124* and Bannerjee 121, 249 added for the last wicket.

Here's a list of high scores at each position.