• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketer has the most complete record?

bagapath

International Captain

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
not really, depends on how you define dominates. Lara might have dominated more in patches, but sachin was pretty consistent against them . Again there is the issue of home vs away
546 runs @ 91 in 4 tests is domination , not averaging 46 and 50 respectively.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
oh jeez, he made one big score, one more 40+ in that series.

sachin made 116,61,52 and a 40+ score in the 99 series

Anyone who watched those 2 series would know who was better , lara got one bad decision IIRC, sachin got 1 bad one , 1 dubious one

And yes, lara was poor IN Aus with mcgrath around for most part. Did you even watch those series ? Seriously ?

Just FYI, one stage in the 96-97 series , these were his scores - 2,1,2,2. All 4 times dismissed by mcgrath

In another stage in the 2000 series, these were his scores - 0,4,0,17, first three times dismissed by mcgrath, last time by mcgill

37 actually with just mcgrath

he had lara in more trouble IN Aus than he had sachin in Ind, it was plain visible to anyone who actually saw those series'

in Aus, sachin definitely. At their respective homes, lara definitely

overall: lara, but not by the margin the averages seem to suggest. Would also add that sachin's average would definitely have gone up had mcgrath played in the 98 series , he was in better form than he was in the 2001 series when he averaged 50+
Y not by the margin there average suggests?? 42 vs 51 seems a fair assesment. I agree

Lara was less than stellar away but donot underestimate his effort vs Mcwarne at home.

WI wickets are tailor made for fast men (see Mcgrath, Gillespie and Reifel's averages in

the WI). Lara averaging 68 at home to Mcwarne is really quite commendable imo.

Its like some u know who fans cant just accept that Lara was better at something and

move on. Tendy was the better traveler (is a better traveler in general and is arguably

better overall) but Lara was just better vs the best attacks Oz had to offer.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
anyone else ever account for the fact that tendulkar debuted at 16? Had he debuted at something more reasonable like 18-20 his average would be close to or above 60.
although we can play what if's all day. fact remains india was ****ty enough to need a 16 year old averaging 42ish to play for them.

edit: that's probably another reason he is rated so highly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Um, let's just move on.

I propose Allan Donald has as complete of a record as Glenn McGrath even though the latter is almost synonymous with consistency. I grew up watching them and I still can't understand why Donald is not regularly named amongst the top bowlers of all time.

Last edited:

abmk

State 12th Man
Y not by the margin there average suggests?? 42 vs 51 seems a fair assesment. I agree

Lara was less than stellar away but donot underestimate his effort vs Mcwarne at home.

WI wickets are tailor made for fast men (see Mcgrath, Gillespie and Reifel's averages in

the WI). Lara averaging 68 at home to Mcwarne is really quite commendable imo.

Its like some u know who fans cant just accept that Lara was better at something and

move on. Tendy was the better traveler (is a better traveler in general and is arguably

better overall) but Lara was just better vs the best attacks Oz had to offer.
@ bold part, reallty ? . Didn't I say lara was better against mcwarne overall ?

Lara's margin of advantage at home is clearly more than sachin's margin of advantage away. That's why.

As far as the first sentence is concerned, partly because of the rough decisions sachin got in those matches that did skew the averages a bit and also because mcgrath never toured India when sachin was at his best in 98

Teja.

Global Moderator
Um, let's just move on.

I grew up watching them and I still can't understand why Donald is not regularly named amongst the top bowlers of all time.
AWTA. Donald and Waqar are soo underrated among the post-90 bowlers. I reckon it's because blokes like McG, Wasim & Ambrose commanded more respect from the batsman, penetrated their techniques et al. and hence are rated higher by cricketers who played against them while guys like Donald and Waqar bowled less of the OMG-It's-too-good-for-the-batsman-to-nick-it balls but still were as effective on a general level.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AWTA. Donald and Waqar are soo underrated among the post-90 bowlers. I reckon it's because blokes like McG, Wasim & Ambrose commanded more respect from the batsman, penetrated their techniques et al. and hence are rated higher by cricketers who played against them while guys like Donald and Waqar bowled less of the OMG-It's-too-good-for-the-batsman-to-nick-it balls but still were as effective on a general level.
Not so Waqar after a few years though. Was still very good but injuries took their toll, sadly.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Lara was better than tendulkar against better attacks and for those people who are mentioning the 2 wrong decisions against tendulkar in 99-00 series ,lara was given 3 wrong decisions in 2005-06 series in australia.

vcs

all are awesome knocks full of maginificent stroke play.

also look for mark waugh's catch at the beginning of the third clip. it is a real tough one but he makes it look so cool... typical mark waugh moment.... loved it...
Yeah. The catch he took in the 2nd innings when the match was on a knife-edge was even better. Again it was Laxman. Actually Tsotsobe also took an exactly similar one off him in the first innings at Durban recently.

Burgey

Um, let's just move on.

I propose Allan Donald has as complete of a record as Glenn McGrath even though the latter is almost synonymous with consistency. I grew up watching them and I still can't understand why Donald is not regularly named amongst the top bowlers of all time.
You were clearly influenced by your perception and bias, whereas the true reality is the decimal point :ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not so Waqar after a few years though. Was still very good but injuries took their toll, sadly.
Yes, He was 'merely' about Gillespie quality for the second half of his career but that is compensated by the fact that he was freakishly good in the first half though. I think his overall stats are pretty indicative of how he stacks up with the others tbh. 400 wickets @ 23 with an SR of 43(?) - That's still impossible to separate from the other ATG bowlers without nit-picking on 1 run average differences.(Not saying you do that btw :) ) He had a Haldee-esque wpm for the first ten years of his career too.

Still, back to the original point even when in his peak I doubt batsmen rated him as highly as Wasim despite him being considerably more valuable(for that period) due to the said reasons.

Burgey

Yes, He was 'merely' about Gillespie quality for the second half of his career but that is compensated by the fact that he was freakishly good in the first half though. I think his overall stats are pretty indicative of how he stacks up with the others tbh. 400 wickets @ 23 with an SR of 43(?) - That's still impossible to separate from the other ATG bowlers without nit-picking on 1 run average differences.(Not saying you do that btw :) ) He had a Haldee-esque wpm for the first ten years of his career too.

Still, back to the original point even when in his peak I doubt batsmen rated him as highly as Wasim despite him being considerably more valuable(for that period) due to the said reasons.
I also wonder if part of that was Wasim being a left hander. Maybe the angle - and his really fast arm action - made him more difficult to pick up.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
In matches involving either mcgrath or wasim akram or donald-

tests-lara averages 40.46 compared with tendulkar's 34.30.
odis-lara averages 44.31 compared with tendulkar's 31.74.

vcs

And here we go with the stat-filtering again. One wonders how Tendulkar got by all those years without scoring a run of note against a half-decent bowler.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I also wonder if part of that was Wasim being a left hander. Maybe the angle - and his really fast arm action - made him more difficult to pick up.
Yeah definitely. That and Waqar bowling a lot more **** balls than your typical sub-25 avg bowler. Took wickets faster and bowled more jaffers than anyone but as a batsman you tend to remember bowling spells where your abilities are tested to the max and the bowler finally gets you after setting you up beautifully compared to a spell where someone bowls three nothing balls outside-off which you hit to a fielder for no run and then a jaffer comes and gets you, which happened a lot with Waqar.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In matches involving either mcgrath or wasim akram or donald-

tests-lara averages 40.46 compared with tendulkar's 34.30.
odis-lara averages 44.31 compared with tendulkar's 31.74.
WOOOOOOOOOOW goood for you!!
btw your figures are so wrong!

Burgey

And here we go with the stat-filtering again. One wonders how Tendulkar got by all those years without scoring a run of note against a half-decent bowler.
That's nothing mate. Warne wasn't any good against India so was apparently therefore rubbish. McGrath wasn't as good as Ambrose and didn't average well against NZ. Mark Waugh was over rated, so too Ponting. Langer and Steve Waugh were limited, Gilchrist was a slogger and Hayden a flat track bully. Moreover, the support bowling of Lee, Bichel, Kaspa et al was mediocre while Dizzy was an injury prone crock.

I don't know how we won a game tbh.