• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which are the best performing batsman and bowler to tour each test country?

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Not directly related to the topic, but as Tendulkar is praised for doing well in Aus at the age of 18, similarly Viv should be praised for doing well in the 75 tour, as he was relatively also inexperienced then, faced a far better bowling attack, only positive note for WI in that tour, and genuinely dominated in the second half of the series despite having the tough job of opening, because apparently Gordon Greenidge was scared out of his wits. And he had what I think the best batting series in Aus for a foreign player in 79/80, considering the quality of the attack and the extent of his domination. Despite facing weaker Aus attacks in his later career, he never cashed in too much on them.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
And Plus for Eng, it should be viv. There is not much difference between an average of 64 and 70, and Viv’s SR gives him a huge advantage over Dravid and Waugh. Viv faced quality Eng attacks unlike Waugh. Plus none of them had a series like Viv 1976.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not directly related to the topic, but as Tendulkar is praised for doing well in Aus at the age of 18, similarly Viv should be praised for doing well in the 75 tour, as he was relatively also inexperienced then, faced a far better bowling attack, only positive note for WI in that tour, and genuinely dominated in the second half of the series despite having the tough job of opening, because apparently Gordon Greenidge was scared out of his wits. And he had what I think the best batting series in Aus for a foreign player in 79/80, considering the quality of the attack and the extent of his domination. Despite facing weaker Aus attacks in his later career, he never cashed in too much on them.
Yeah Viv and Tendulkar in Australia are really touch and go. Viv's 80 series really was a level of dominance that Tendulkar never had.

subshakerz

International Coach
And Plus for Eng, it should be viv. There is not much difference between an average of 64 and 70, and Viv’s SR gives him a huge advantage over Dravid and Waugh. Viv faced quality Eng attacks unlike Waugh. Plus none of them had a series like Viv 1976.
Dravid did have his 2011 series against Anderson. But yeah Viv also has the best case here.

subshakerz

International Coach
In England, outside of Alderman, would either Murali or Warne be the better second option? Or maybe Lillee or McGrath?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rest of your post is valid but I never find this kind of logic persuasive.

Viv also had a poor tour in 81/82 when Australia still had Lillee and Thompson. Tendulkar was just consistently good no matter what attack he faced.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Interestingly, Lillee averaged 30 in the 79/80 series and 19 in the 81/82 series.

subshakerz

International Coach

Viv also had a poor tour in 81/82 when Australia still had Lillee and Thompson. Tendulkar was just consistently good no matter what attack he faced.
Viv:
Impressive start in 75/76
ATG series in 79/80
Failed in 81/82
Moderate in 84/85
Good series in 88

Tendulkar:
Impressive start in 91/92
Good series in 99
Moderate in 2003
Good series in 2007
Failed in 2011

So from the above its touch and go. Tendulkar more consistent, Viv had a higher peak. If you include Viv's WSC stuff, then his case is clear.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
i mean both have one failed, moderate and good common. But where Tendy has one more good, Viv instead has an ATG series(made all more special by the fact that series was WI’s first one in Aus) whereas in 2003 series Ind drew, Tendy except a masterful knock didn’t do much.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain

He outside the 241 in 2003, didn’t do much of substance. In 2011, he failed(only one fifty).

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Shouldn’t a player cash in on weaker attacks? Is this meant to be a point in his favour?
I am just saying it is good that his great record there was built on scoring against good attacks. If two players(X and Y) average the same, I will chose the player who scored more against better attacks.

subshakerz

International Coach
Murali in England in seriously impressive. 48 wickets in 6 games with 3 tenfers, one of those a 16-wicket haul.

How does he compare with Alderman?

Gob

International Coach
Going to only select players I saw (Been technically watching since 96 but only since around 2000 I was knowledgeable to judge players)

Aus

Tendulkar - Vaughan, Amla and Kohli all had great serieses but Tendulkar did it in 3 different generations
Steyn - Ambrose's best was before my time. Anderson had a good one that one time, Bumrah has been good but Steyn's god performance in Melbourne and killer spell at Perth four years later gets the nod

Eng

Dravid - Smiths of both Greame and Steve variety are strong contenders but Dravid slightly edges it
Warne - 70 wickets over 11 tests in 01 an 05 gets it for me

Ind

Kallis - Flower, Martyn, Amla and Smith had great serieses but Kallis had 3 I think so Jacques
Steyn - McGrath and Gillespie are close

NZ

Sangakkara - 2 tons against Bond and 1 against peak Boult all on helpful decks. Pretty clear
can't think of a bowler. Probably Shoaib based on what I hear but never saw him there

Pakistan

Before 09 is probably Sanga. 3 tons in 3 different tours including a double in the Asian test championship final. Recent times, Usman
Steyn with the ball

South Africa

Tendulkar but a shout to Warner, Ponting, Clarke and Thilan
Johnson with Warne close

Sri lanka

Lara
Warne

UAE

Younis if you cheat. Otherwise Sangakkara
Southee? no idea

WI

Ponting