• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which are the best performing batsman and bowler to tour each test country?

subshakerz

International Coach
As the title suggests. Applicable for a post-war period and a minimum of two series need to be played by the foreign bat or bowler in that country.

Slifer

International Captain
Unfair question and I'll use Larry Gomes and Brian Lara to illustrate why that is. Lara averages 41 or so in Australia vs Gomes who averages 70. But Lara in 3/4 series faced great Australian attacks. I don't think Gomes ever faced a great Australian attack down under. You'll see that repeated if you look at players' records vs WI, England etc overtime. So not fair imo.

subshakerz

International Coach
Unfair question and I'll use Larry Gomes and Brian Lara to illustrate why that is. Lara averages 41 or so in Australia vs Gomes who averages 70. But Lara in 3/4 series faced great Australian attacks. I don't think Gomes ever faced a great Australian attack down under. You'll see that repeated if you look at players' records vs WI, England etc overtime. So not fair imo.
Yeah so in the case above, I would say Lara is at least as good as Golmes.

I never said just go by raw averages but take the context into account when selecting the best. The only stat measure was at least two series to have a big enough sample.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Best visiting bowler to England in my time may well be Terry Alderman. Maybe unfair to McGrath, Warne, Lillee, Marshall, Akram and Hadlee, but there you go, and TA's track record in English conditions is ridiculous. Best batsman is probably Steve Smith, if only because his track record isn't assisted by being surrounded by ATGs in the top order.

EDIT
Dravid's a good call by @subshakerz for the best visiting batsman too.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Choices I am considering:

WI:
Batsman: Not sure, maybe Amarnath?
Bowler: Imran or McGrath

England:
Batsman: Dravid or Waugh
Bowler: Murali or Alderman

Australia:
Batsman: Sachin or Viv if we consider WSC
Bowler: Hadlee or Ambrose

India:
Batsman: LLoyd or Younis Khan
Bowler: Marshall or Walsh

Pakistan:
Batsman: Crowe or Sanga
Bowler: Walsh or Murali

Sri Lanka:
Batsman: Sehwag or Inzi
Bowler: Warne or Waqar

NZ:
Batsman: Sanga or Chappell
Bowler: Not sure. Wasim?

SA:
Batsman: Kohli or Tendulkar
Bowler: Not sure.

subshakerz

International Coach
Best visiting bowler to England in my time may well be Terry Alderman. Maybe unfair to McGrath, Warne, Lillee, Marshall, Akram and Hadlee, but there you go, and TA's track record in English conditions is ridiculous. Best batsman is probably Steve Smith, if only because his track record isn't assisted by being surrounded by ATGs in the top order.

EDIT
Dravid's a good call by @subshakerz for the best visiting batsman too.
Alderman yes. Only rival to me would be Murali.

I thought about Smith, but outside that gigantic last Ashes tour, he ranged from decent to good.

Flem274*

123/5
Best bowler I've seen in NZ is Shoiab. He was a force of nature. Late, full swing at extreme pace.

Unsure on batsman. Sangakkara has played two amazing knocks on green decks that stick in the memory but he also had some very quiet games (he only scored 12 other runs for 3 dismissals in the 2014 series outside the 203 thanks to Boult).

I'm gonna go with Dravid. Played some very impressive innings against good bowlers in challenging conditions but also cashed in consistently when life was easy.

subshakerz

International Coach
Best bowler I've seen in NZ is Shoiab. He was a force of nature. Late, full swing at extreme pace.

Unsure on batsman. Sangakkara has played two amazing knocks on green decks that stick in the memory but he also had some very quiet games (he only scored 12 other runs for 3 dismissals in the 2014 series outside the 203 thanks to Boult).

I'm gonna go with Dravid. Played some very impressive innings against good bowlers in challenging conditions but also cashed in consistently when life was easy.
I prefer Wasim in NZ. After his debut in NZ, he took a 10fer in his second test. Then in 93 he and Waqar defended 120 odd there. And then in 94 he took 25 wickets in 3 tests. In NZ, he was always at his peak of powers.

Slifer

International Captain
SL: Lara
Eng: Bradman
Australia: Kohli
RSA: Waugh (?)
WI: Waugh
India: Sobers
NZ: Javed (?)
Pak: Crowe (?)